Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone installed a BRP hitch on a 2022 RT using all factory BRP parts?

I ordered a new rt limited from Imotorsports and when I purchased I asked about swapping my factory hitch off of my 2014 to the 2022. Imotorsports service manager said the hitch was the same and would work, I would just need to purchase a module and wiring harness. I bought it from them as part of the original purchase and asked that it be installed by them before shipping. During the delay in new machine deliveries, I started hearing about the axle shaft and axle bolt issues that people were talking about so asked Imotorsports to make sure that the new machine had the correct axle that would accept the axle bolt for the hitch install. Fast forward the machine was delivered and the axle bolt I had did not fit, so Imotorsports sent me the correct one, which was the same as what I had, and also did not fit. At this point, Imotorsports asked me if I could take to a local dealer and see if they could look at it and get a case opened with Brp, which I was not happy about. So, I did that and the local dealer contacted Brp and was told that Brp hasn’t come put with the appropriate axle yet that will accept the axle shaft bolt. I also had to pay the local dealer $50 for their shop time on the non warranty issue.
    So, my question is has anyone installed a Brp hitch on a 2022 rt using all factory Brp parts? Specifically the axle bolt that slide into the bored put shaft bolt. If so, does anyone have a part number for the bolt?
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The info you got from iMotorsports was only the info that BRP itself is still peddling to their dealers when asked - even if some people in various parts of BRP Head Office might know of the issue with hitches, there's clearly others that don't &/or are aware but not passing it on & still pushing the corporate line! (Oooh, where have we heard/seen BRP ever do that before! )

There's already been a fair bit of discussion on the various Forum about this issue, probably more on faceache etc too, and while we may not have heard specifically that it's been done here on this Forum, I've seen a couple now, so YES, there are 2022 RT Owners out there who've fitted a BRP Hitch onto their Spyders using all Factory BRP parts! BUT, the critical thing to be aware of is that they've had to source & use a 'earlier than 2021 axle' to accept the BRP 'thru axle bolt' that's part of the hitch.

AND there are others who have fitted the hitch only they've used a smaller diameter 'thru axle bolt' to go thru the small but existing 2022 axle 'hole' (AFAIK no-one has actually bored the 22 axle out to the correct diameter... yet?! Altho that has been discussed! ) which shouldn't really be an issue because the bolt is only there to hold the hitch arms together & make sure the hitch arms don't spread out & come off the Spyder's swing arms under load - but the major towing load is on the hitch arms & swing arms anyway, not really on the bolt! Check out these threads on the subject:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=Axle%3B+hitch

Good Luck!

Ps: Just a note about using the OEM part # - Admittedly I haven't checked, but from what I've heard, I dont believe that BRP has changed their part # for the axle itself, despite the 2022 axles coming from a different supplier & having a different dia hole thru their centre, so this has added to the difficulties dealers & owners have in sourcing the correct axles in order to fit the OEM Hitch. And it's why those owners who've been successful in fitting a hitch have ended up sourcing the axle from an earlier model themselves! Dealers can only order by the part #'s they've got, & if BRP is providing something that's neither suitable NOR the same as the earlier model axles when asked for that part #, there's seemingly not much the dealer can do; well, not unless they can sweet talk an owner of an earlier model Spyder who's not interested in fitting a ever into swapping their original axle for one of the 'new' axles that won't take the hitch 'thru axle bolt' that comes with the OEM hitch! It seems that the actual 2022 owners who successfully manage to fit a hitch are those having much better luck in doing that 'swap axles with the owner of an earlier Spyder' thing....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-04-2022 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Correct final link with part # & Ps: note. ;-)
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Parts are available now. I installed a hitch on a friends 2022 F3L two weeks ago after she finally got the word from a local dealer that they had received the proper axle bolt. This was not the dealer she bought it from, yet it was still treated as a warranty item. As such, they would not give her the axle bolt for me to install; they insisted that they had to install it.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

For those of you who are looking to put a hitch on a 2022, there is a bulletin from BRP on the fix, and here it is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Attached is a pdf copy of the bulletin.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    SpyDel
    2017 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Thank you Mac and Spydel, that is very helpful. Have forwarded a copy to my local vendor
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

2022 Trailer Hitch Install - Need some help, I'm installing a BRP trailer hitch on my 2022 RT and the round bar will not slide through the back axle of the bike. I have installed a hitch on a 2012 and 2014 RT and if I remember correctly the bar just slid into the axle.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-24-2023 at 07:46 AM. Reason: moved title into post text after merge into existing thread ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaSpyderRyder View Post
    2022 Trailer Hitch Install - Need some help, I'm installing a BRP trailer hitch on my 2022 RT and the round bar will not slide through the back axle of the bike. I have installed a hitch on a 2012 and 2014 RT and if I remember correctly the bar just slid into the axle.
    There were a lot of parts issues when these bikes were made. Some were thrown together with whatever parts could be had and others were missing parts altogether. In your case the axle shaft needs replacing, will BRP furnish you one or call it a warranty I don't know, contact them to see. (I think some might have gone to a smaller bolt but as the bolt is pretty small to begin with I wouldn't, but that's just me. If you go this route use nothing under a grade 8.)

Another option would be to remove the axle shaft and carry it to a machine shop and have them enlarge the hole to fit the bolt.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaSpyderRyder View Post
    I guess you missed seeing all the discussions here on the forum about the mismatch between the axle and the bar. Check the info 5 posts above.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Take a copy of the bulletin from post 5 to your local dealer they will cover as warranty.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I understand that the axle is different in the 2022. But when it comes to getting that replacement axle, shouldn't the replacement part number be the same as the 2020 and 2021 axle that does work with the trailer hitch? Funny how some things change or evolve over time. I understand that the early 2020's didn't have a belt dampener, but the 2021+ does. I have also heard that some 2021 and up get the little $10 piece used to unlock the trunk, but my 2021 did not.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I don’t know if it’s necessarily a different part but rather that the one BRP was getting during a certain time frame was not bored out to the proper internal diameter spec. Just guessing though. I know the actual bolt is the same from year to year, as I was sent a new bolt to try first and it was the exact same dimension as the one off of my previous 2014 that did not fit.
    2014 RT-S Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Normally when a part number is changed it means that a different supplier made it, at least that's how it worked with the class 6, 7 & 8 trucks.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brentc View Post
    I don’t know if it’s necessarily a different part but rather that the one BRP was getting during a certain time frame was not bored out to the proper internal diameter spec.
    That's what I'm thinking also. The axle part number is the same for all years up to 2023 as shown in the parts catalog. The small bore axle possibly has a different part number but since it was not intended to be the normal part used in Spyders we won't see the number anywhere.

It's also possible a supplier requested a deviation from the specs due to material supply issues and whoever in BRP approved it did not realize the problem it would cause with installing a hitch. That sort of issue comes under the umbrella of configuration control. My observation is BRP does not have stellar performance in relation to configuration control.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

I just installed an aftermarket hitch from a ebay seller for $140.00. Looks identical to the Show Chrome model!
    My 2022 RT-L has a hollow axle that the 3/8" bolt slid right through. Installation was pretty easy, instructions provided are for up to 2019 model. No need to remove brake caliper bolts, just slide right mount under the brake lines. Installed while lying on the floor without problems. This is link to where I got the hitch www.ebay.com/itm/165665844649
    2022 RTL Marcella Red,dark edition

Spyder Garage

If you have the hitch, module, wires,etc, and the only issue is the old axle bolt won’t pass thru the 22 axle, two approaches:
    Have the hole bored bigger, or, buy a piece of threaded rod, as big as fits in the axle. Cut it off 2 inches longer than the axle. Put washers and nyloc nuts on both ends. Done.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

CPTJAM. Thank you for the info.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

My 22 F3 rear axle bolt has NO hole. Has anyone else have the same problem? Thanks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drifterdan View Post
    My 22 F3 rear axle bolt has NO hole. Has anyone else have the same problem? Thanks
    Yes, a lot of people have ran into that. Your dealer should be able to fix you up under warranty. Parts were not available when they were being assembled and they had to use what they could get.

Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Spyder axle can be replaced under warranty

The dealer will replace axle under warranty.

My dealer needed to see copy of the bulletin.
    2022 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

Spyder Garage

2014 Copper RTS