Spyder Garage

Default F3-S Gauge spoiler vs Route 129

For the ‘17 Daytona, wanting a little more wind protection than the stock gauge spoiler, but don’t want a big windshield blocking all the air. Just to take some pressure off the chest at freeway speeds. The Route 129 seemed to be the best fit size-wise, but had seen LOTS of negative reviews on it and (especially) the Blue Ridge. Well, I found a Route 129 at a discounted price, ordered it, got it installed yesterday, and put about 95 miles on it today.

At freeway speeds, the wind blast has moved from about my upper chest to about the chin bar on my full-faced helmet (I am 6’1”). Noticed no helmet buffeting, which was what my main concern was. The pulled-in lower sides of the Route 129 makes a nice “bubble” for me out just past my shoulders. Got considerably fewer moth / butterfly / dragonfly strikes on my helmet and jacket. Only two downsides I see: 1) the Route 129 only comes in clear, and the many compound curves would make it nearly impossible to use a tint film to get that aggressive look back; 2) the nice “bubble” allows engine heat to rise up into that bubble, even at highway speeds. Is noticeably warmer.

So ... will probably keep the Route 129 on through the fall and winter (ride year ‘round down here), and swap back to the gauge spoiler in the spring. If planning an extended / multi-day tour, would probably fit the Route 129 again. Kinda torn between the two options - love the looks of the minimalistic gauge spoiler, and also the added protection of the Route 129. Am happy so far with the Route 129. Just glad I have choices!
    Attached Images Attached Images

White 2015 F3-S SE6 - “Gypsy” (hers)
    Yellow 2017 F3-S Daytona 500 SM6 (his)

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I haven't had any experience with either one. But if you are looking over the route 129 shield and not through it, you can use Plastic Dip or a similar product to coat the inside and get that dark tinted or blacked out look. That is what i used on my short shield for my 2016 F3T and my 2016 F3 Limited. Love your bike btw.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Yes ... looking well over the top of the Route 129. Thought about PlastiDip or similar, but would really like to still be able to see through it. May take it to a pro and see if they can film tint it on the underside.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BCNewell View Post
    Yes ... looking well over the top of the Route 129. Thought about PlastiDip or similar, but would really like to still be able to see through it. May take it to a pro and see if they can film tint it on the underside.
    I understand. But keep in mind that with plastidip, if you don't like it, you can simply peel it off. The thicker the coating, the easier it will be to peel off.

Spyder Garage

I have, in the past, taken clear shields and painted them black (on the back side). Depending on the effect you want. You can use gloss or flat/matte. You can't then see through them, of course. But typically, you don't need to. And it also gives you more UP protection on the area covered.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Good luck cleaning bugs/debris off a plasti dipped shield

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Good luck cleaning bugs/debris off a plasti dipped shield
    The process is to remove the shield and do it from the backside. There is no contact with bugs or anything else. The great part (vs paint) is that it can be easily removed and reapplied if needed. You also don't have to worry about runs in the finish like with paint. If you get a run or even a finger print, just apply additional coats. It will always look perfect from the outside.

Spyder Garage

If you want it semi-transparent, get a rattle can of "black out" paint for taillights and spray the inside of the wind shield.
    2015 F3 S , Can Am Red

Spyder Garage

I had mine vinyl'ed and PPF'd!! No problems....

Last edited by hypurone; 11-05-2022 at 12:11 PM.

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Thanks for posting this review. I had considered a small windshield, but if it increases the heat rising up, I will stick with the gauge spoiler. I am in Florida and even in winter there are plenty of hot days.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Gwolf - only have the one ride, on a 90*F+ day. Was wearing my mesh armored jacket. Not unbearable, but was noticeable.