Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 2021 RTL and BRP trailer hitch - will swapping in '16 F3 hitch work?

I heard that the 2022 RT and RTL would not receive a BRP trailer hitch because they have a solid rear axle and a hollow axle is required. I just picked up a 2021 RTL and am thinking about taking the BRP hitch off my 2016 F3 Limited and putting it on the RT. I am thinking it should be a simple swap, just as long as I replace the cotter key during the installation. Is this correct?

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-03-2022 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If it's like the ones on the rt's it only takes about 10 minutes to remove it. I would just try it and see for myself.

Also, you heard right, the axles for the 22's are solid because brp couldn't get the others. There's also reports that the ones that did have the holes in them were too small. From what I've heard the correct axles are on backorder.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 11-03-2022 at 05:15 PM.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    If it's like the ones on the rt's it only takes about 10 minutes to remove it. I would just try it and see for myself.

Also, you heard right, the axles for the 22's are solid because brp couldn't get the others. There's also reports that the ones that did have the holes in them were too small. From what I've heard the correct axles are on backorder.
    Thanks,
    So since this is a 2021 (purchased in December of 2020), I am thinking that it has the correct axle.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

if your new RT axle is not hollow or too small of hole, could you just swap axles? is F3 and Rt axle same length? the diameter for bearings would have to be the same, these rear wheels are the same
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

FYI, there are two possible incorrect axles. There are solid axles and there are also axles that have too small a diameter, don’t ask how I know. Going through this now with my new 2022 from Imotorsports. They shipped my new 2022 to me with missing heated passenger grip switch and did not let me know I had to discover and am now going back and forth with my local dealer, Brp and Imotorsports. Additionally they told me that they had verified the axle was the correct one to accept the trailer axle bolt, but that also was not correct. My local dealer is also trying to get this fixed by working with Imotorsports and Brp. All and all not a good experience with Imotorsports and I would go that route again.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

My BRP dealer opened a case with BRP on this for my 2022 RT. The ordered a replacement axle and installed it on warranty. Talk to your dealer.

Spyder Garage

Chilly, can you possibly provide part number of what your dealer ordered? That would be helpful for my dealer I think.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I heard that the 2022 RT and RTL would not receive a BRP trailer hitch because they have a solid rear axle and a hollow axle is required. I just picked up a 2021 RTL and am thinking about taking the BRP hitch off my 2016 F3 Limited and putting it on the RT. I am thinking it should be a simple swap, just as long as I replace the cotter key during the installation. Is this correct?

Thanks for looking.
    Short answer is yes, this should be a direct swap, just the 2022's that are having problems.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

It's the 2022's that are having the issues, not the 2021's. It should work.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Here is the Bulletin regarding the 2022 hitch issue and the fix. The good news is Can Am is covering it under warranty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents