Spyder Garage

Default Is 29,000 miles good for a rear tire.

My rear tire is 1/32 from the wear bar at 29k so it is about done. Can I do better, or should I stay with the Kumho?

DF66A70F-C1E8-43F3-9356-6699C92D7689.jpg. 132B1991-42C9-4907-85EC-5F0E3534B50A.jpg
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 11-03-2022 at 08:53 AM.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

In my opinion 29,000 miles is very good. If you like how it worked for you, get another one. I have never gotten over 20,000 miles on any of the tires I have used. Great job. Bruce
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

that's the tire I just put on, I'll be very happy with 29K....
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

What I have discovered, and could be completely wrong, with the rear tire wear is the location and type of road surface you generally ride. Dad seems to get 25k-28k on his altimax but it’s exclusively done in Arizona area. That’s all smooth blacktop and warm. I run the same tire but in the north east, or at least everywhere from me to central pa, central ny, central Ohio everything I run is tar chip and I can barely get 19k on the same tire. 30k is very good and I guessing it was all blacktop and being mid west it’s hot and smooth.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RapidSpyder View Post
    My rear tire is 1/32 from the wear bar at 29k so it is about done. Can I do better, or should I stay with the Kumho?

DF66A70F-C1E8-43F3-9356-6699C92D7689.jpg
    That's not bad at all, especially if it was done with minimal effort &/or not regularly (slavishly?) adjusting your tire pressure to suit the various different conditions, road surfaces, & temps that you were looking at riding in at any given time/on any given day!

Still, if you really wanted to, and were prepared to take the time & make the effort required, you could probably do somewhat better... AND, if you did, you could probably get better tire life as well as getting a little better traction & performance besides! If you did do that, varying your tire pressures to suit the expected conditions on every given day &/or ride, then just as many do of me, others might think you nuts for 'wasting' so much time & effort on your tires, but by doing this you can save more than just a fair bit of money wasted thru needlessly replacing tires that've worn quicker than they strictly needed to!

Or you can accept that, for the effort you've put into achieving it, 29,000 miles out of that rear tire is fairly good, even if it's not necessarily the absolute best life & traction/braking that you could feasibly get out of it.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Better than I did.

Spyder Garage

With my RS about 9,000km was normal, so I would be just starting my 6th tire by that point:-) The rear on my F3L is definitely going to last a lot longer.

Spyder Garage

It did wear pretty evenly with the reduced air pressure. Ran 18-20 psi.
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

It did wear pretty evenly with the reduced air pressure. Ran 18-20 psi.
    It certainly looks to have worn pretty evenly, so anything better than that (for you, your riding, your usual conditions etc... ) would likely be at a fairly significant cost in terms of the time & effort involved in meticulously adjusting your tire pressures to suit the given conditions on any given ride.... and that rapidly becomes an ever increasing task for ever decreasing real returns! Or the better milage/tire life from a tire with better tread wear numbers would likely come at a significant cost in terms of traction & braking, which probably isn't something you'd really appreciate!

Personally, I'd still think it likely that running 18-20 psi in a replacement Kumho is probably juuust a little too high of a pressure, but is there any discernable or measurable difference in the remaining tread depth between the middle of the tread & the edgeson that one?? As that Kumho has worn, did you notice any fall off in traction &/or braking, especially in the wet?? If there is a little less tread in the middle than on the edges; or if you did notice a reduction in wet road traction/braking, then maybe you could drop the pressure another 1-2 psi or so in any replacement Kumho & keep a close eye on it; but if not &/or you're not comfortable with doing that, then achieving a similar 29,000 miles from the single drive wheel on any machine, let alone a Spyder, certainly isn't to be sneezed at!! For me, that same milage would've needed more than 7 replacement Kendas going by the best milage I've achieved on them!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-02-2022 at 09:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It’s a semi-arid climate here, so wet roads aren’t a common occurrence.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I would say, whatever you are doing, keep it up, and if you liked that tire, get another!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

DF66A70F-C1E8-43F3-9356-6699C92D7689.jpg
    Please post up the complete tire information. Just wanted to know for future reference on the Kumho.
    Thanks. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Please post up the complete tire information. Just wanted to know for future reference on the Kumho.
    Thanks. ......
    Kumho Ecsta 225/50r15

87C05EAE-ABDF-49A7-9EB5-588D5ED4952F.jpg
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 11-03-2022 at 08:52 AM.

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

For mileage. You'll be hard pressed to do better. For traction in the rain, there are better choices. Just depends on where your priorities lie.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

In my opinion, yes.

My experience with Kenda....15,000 tops. I run mine at 26# to help solve the "balooning" issue.

Tried Federals on my 2014, but traded it off before they were a year old. So.............................I will never know about "car" tires.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    For mileage. You'll be hard pressed to do better. For traction in the rain, there are better choices. Just depends on where your priorities lie.
    on both ..... Quite a few Other members here have reported that the Kumho's initially give pretty traction W & D .... however at about 15,000 mi. ( half life ) they start to lose WET traction. I realize you and others may not encounter RAIN when your driving the Spyder ..... but that's when you NEED it the most. .... Spyders have an excellent traction control system, however sliding to & fro as you cruise down the highway S*CKS .....JMHO .... good luck .... Mike