Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Brake Squeal

My 2015 RTL has almost 9,000 miles on it and the brakes have squealed since day one. I know there is not an issue with stopping but it get a little embarrassing when coming to a stop sign. I though that I had read on this site somewhere about something to spray on the rotors that would help stop it, but I searched and can't find it.
    Does anyone know if there is a product like that, if so does it work, what is the name of it, and where can it be purchased?

Thanks
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We used to take a file, and put a small bevel on the leading edge of the pads. That would often quiet them down nicely.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Ok, I found it on the web.

Has any one used this and if so what is your experience?

Spray on rotors and drums on every brake job to eliminate and prevent brake noise. Metallic formula fills grooves in friction surfaces for smoother braking.

• Prevents brake noise
    • Use on every brake job
    • For us on disc, drum & ABS systems
    • Fills grooves in friction surfaces
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know. ..!!

Mine don't make noise but those in our group have used simple green cleaner and say it has worked for them. Mostly caused by brake dust washing the brakes off also helps...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CRC

CRC is a very well known BRAND name for top notch products......I wouldn't hesitate trying it ........I would if my Brakes were squealing, but I did what Bob said and beveled mine, however I use an ANGLE grinder......much quicker.........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default brake squeal

Or you could take your pads out and coat the back with brake quiet
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

All good suggestions. The CRC spray and pad coating gel (Not to scale) are great products. The spray will give you temporary relief (hard to say how long). The gel is a more permanent solution but requires dismounting the pads.

You may also get, at least temporary, relief from stopping as fast as you can (safely) from 60 down to 20 mph at least 3 times in quick succession. You should begin to smell 'Hot Brakes'. This will cure the resins that hold the abrasive brake material and should be done anyway (usually when the pads are new), even if you don't have squealing brakes.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 05-10-2016 at 05:26 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would if my Brakes were squealing, but I did what Bob said and beveled mine, however I use an ANGLE grinder......much quicker.........Mike
    But MY method gets me out of the house for longer periods of time!

She's not standing behind me; is she?

Spyder Garage

I just used the CRC brake quiet paste which requires you to remove the pads. So far so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2014 Black RTS SE6
    2012 Black RS - Sold 7/24/2014
    2011 Sonata LTD

Spyder Garage

Default CRC

Had a friend with squeal. Painted the CRC brake disc quiet pink stuff on, waited 10 minutes, put pads back in. NO MORE SQUEAL!!!! We will monitor and see how long it lasts. Works. Joe
    Last edited by cptjam; 05-10-2016 at 11:23 PM.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

As suggested by others, Beveling the leading edge of each pad will also help. Many pad sets come with beveled edges. They do both ends so that the pads remain universal to install. Otherwise the installer could put them in backwards. But you need only bevel the leading edge. For our short pads the bevel can be steeper than these.

You can also put a few, vertical grooves or slots in your pads as in this example. These grooves help to remove brake dust and debris from your rotors and do not affect braking ability. I use a hack saw to accomplish this. The grooves do not need to be very wide. (Oops! I see I misspelled Grooved here... Sorry!)

For the CRC Brake Pad Gel, completely coat the BACK of your pads (yes, I've had customers put CRC Gel on the face of their pads). It should cover the entire rear of the pad and be fairly thick. The idea is that squeal is created by vibration of the pad resonating off the rotor. The gel dampens this high frequency vibration. So you want as much gel as you can reasonably get on the back of the pad.

Last edited by BajaRon; 05-11-2016 at 11:13 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    But MY method gets me out of the house for longer periods of time!

She's not standing behind me; is she?
    No she's not, but every female in here just PM'd her.

2015 Sypder RT-S SE6
    2016 Polaris Sportsman 570 ATV
    2003 F250 SuperDuty
    American Saddlebred Horses

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default Boy! Has this Thread ever Lost Its Way!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    : yikes::y ikes:

Spyder Garage

Thanks to all for the input and good pics, looks like a rainy weekend here so that will be my project Saturday. I will try the CRC spray, the beveled edge, and coat the back with brake quiet. Them suckers better be quiet after all that

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For the record: the leading edge of the pads needs the beveling. That would be the edge that is at the bottom of the pads, as they sit in the calipers...
    (The edge up on top is the trailing one: the rotor surface enters from the bottom, and exits at the top...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    As suggested by others, Beveling the leading edge of each pad will also help. Many pad sets come with beveled edges. They do both ends so that the pads remain universal to install. Otherwise the installer could put them in backwards. But you need only bevel the leading edge. For our short pads the bevel can be steeper than these.

You can also put a few, vertical grooves or slots in your pads as in this example. These grooves help to remove brake dust and debris from your rotors and do not affect braking ability. I use a hack saw to accomplish this. The grooves do not need to be very wide. (Oops! I see I misspelled Grooved here... Sorry!)

For the CRC Brake Pad Gel, completely coat the BACK of your pads (yes, I've had customers put CRC Gel on the face of their pads). It should cover the entire rear of the pad and be fairly thick. The idea is that squeal is created by vibration of the pad resonating off the rotor. The gel dampens this high frequency vibration. So you want as much gel as you can reasonably get on the back of the pad.

Have you ever heard of folks drying brake gel before they install them? I have a buddy that uses a heat gun to heat the get up and tries to cure it before he installs them, he has even used the oven to accomplish this. Just curious because I really dont see a benefit in heating the gel up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Have you ever heard of folks drying brake gel before they install them? I have a buddy that uses a heat gun to heat the get up and tries to cure it before he installs them, he has even used the oven to accomplish this. Just curious because I really dont see a benefit in heating the gel up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
    Some leave them sit for a bit, others use more aggressive methods as you mention. I don't think there is any real advantage other then it's not as messy if you touch the back of the pads or drag the gelled side across something. Personally, I never have done anything beyond letting them sit for 15 minutes or so, if I even do that.

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Squeal

Geoff (OJ UK) recommended a few emergency brake stops whilst nothing is travelling behind me to help get rid of brake squeal on my F3, which worked. Previously I tried a number of different products from Halfords and none of them worked.
    2015 F3-S in Magnesium with Can Am red frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Name of my F3-S - Sandra
    Xmas present to me and from myself on 6/11/2015 - 02/09/2018

2019 F3-S Special Series in Liquid Titanium with Orange frame
    Blue Ridge Windscreen
    Heated Grips
    Signature Light with switch to turn it off and on.
    Name of my F3-S - Pamela
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default Squealing brakes

I put new brakes all the way around on my Spyder two weeks ago everything went good. But today I was out for a ride and they started squealing on me at every stop. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on. I bought the brakes from Bagaron.

2015 RT Limited

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SQUEELING BRAKES

Quote Originally Posted by Rookiespyder View Post
    I put new brakes all the way around on my Spyder two weeks ago everything went good. But today I was out for a ride and they started squealing on me at every stop. Does anyone have any idea what could be going on. I bought the brakes from Bagaron.
    I've also used Pads from Ron ..... never had any " Squeeling " .... or any other odd things ..... Question after you put them on - were you able to spin the tire ???? ....if not I think they are rubbing on the rotor ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I've also used Pads from Ron ..... never had any " Squeeling " .... or any other odd things ..... Question after you put them on - were you able to spin the tire ???? ....if not I think they are rubbing on the rotor ..... Mike
    Hi Mike yes I was able to spin the tire. I took the tires off to c if something was out of the ordinary but everything seems ok. When I had one of the front tires off I noticed it had little round bumps on it on the top closets to the bike and yes they r the junk Kenda tires have u heard of this before.

2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Did you follow Ron's instructions for bedding-in the new pads as below?

"On a safe, straight, open road with good traction. Speed up to about 60 mph and slow as quickly as possible (hard braking) to about 20 mph.

Then, immediately speed up to about 60 mph again and Repeat this hard braking scenario 4-5 times in rapid succession.

DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP anytime during this process.

After the least sequence, ride, (without stopping if possible) for about 5 minutes to allow the braking components to cool evenly.

The idea here is to get the brake pads very hot. This cures the resins which bind the braking material and also mates the brake pad surface to the rotor surface giving you 100% contact area. You will smell hot brakes, but continue with at least 4 complete sequences. If you do not smell hot brakes, you are not applying enough force and you will not get the desired results. These are intended to be, pretty much, emergency stopping scenarios."
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Baja Ron's EBC pads do come with instructions about putting on the CDC Disk Brake Quiet. Were you using the EBC pads and did you use the Disk Brake Quiet on the backs?
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Did you follow Ron's instructions for bedding-in the new pads as below?

"On a safe, straight, open road with good traction. Speed up to about 60 mph and slow as quickly as possible (hard braking) to about 20 mph.

Then, immediately speed up to about 60 mph again and Repeat this hard braking scenario 4-5 times in rapid succession.

DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP anytime during this process.

After the least sequence, ride, (without stopping if possible) for about 5 minutes to allow the braking components to cool evenly.

The idea here is to get the brake pads very hot. This cures the resins which bind the braking material and also mates the brake pad surface to the rotor surface giving you 100% contact area. You will smell hot brakes, but continue with at least 4 complete sequences. If you do not smell hot brakes, you are not applying enough force and you will not get the desired results. These are intended to be, pretty much, emergency stopping scenarios."
    Yes I did all of that and they were fine for a couple of weeks

2015 RT Limited