Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    "If you have to ask, then you wouldn't understand anyway"
    Yes, they truly don't.

Spyder Garage

I ride for my own enjoyment. I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

So far, everyone I've encountered admired my bike. When the wife is with me on her Ryker Rally, some people actually think that bike is cooler than mine. My back prevents me from riding 2 wheel, but I also can't trust many drivers anymore. Their phones and whatever else they're doing other than paying attention to the road, increases the chances they'll pull out in front of you. Can happen with my bike but at least I have the comfort of knowing I have 3 wheels on the ground when I slam on the brakes. Plus, I feel better that my footprint is much larger than 2 wheels. I'm happy with both bikes.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

The folks that have been riding for years seem to enjoy talking about the Spyder no matter what they are riding. They have been doing this for awhile and understand that they too may need a third wheel some day. The wisecrackers I hear are mostly the weekend wannabes that own a Harley strictly as weekend butt jewelry and bragging to their kids friends. They tend to disappear as soon as football season starts and they need to be armchair quarterbacks. I ignore them.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I find all the wisecracks very funny.... The funniest thing that happened with me was... I was riding with a long time buddy (Rob) who has a Harley... We were stopped and a few other bikers showed up. They told Rob that his wife had one of those.... I responded that "his did also"... then I sat on my F3 and started it... They turned beat Red and had no response... Rob and I rode off laughing....
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Spyder Garage

For me it has all been good natured. I got our Spyder because to me it is the ultimate touring machine for the way my wife and I travel. Some riding buddies call it my geezer glide or my 3-wheelchair. My Chief calls it the tricycle. All good natured and I appreciate the camaraderie.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Used to get the snide comments from the weekend warriors. But, at the Polar Bear Grand Tour sign-in last Sunday, at least 5 2-wheelers stopped and asked lots of questions about the Spyder with genuine interest. Seems 'normal' people are beginning to understand the benefits of going to 3 wheels to continue their wind therapy.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Last weekend I was parking my Spyder and a fellow motorcyclist walking to the same restaurant who had just parked his bike, yelled out "Whoa, I think you have too many wheels". I know he did it good naturedly, and then stopped to ask some questions about the Spyder. He was riding a BMW K1600 and then he mentioned that he had a sidecar rig at home. I asked him why he would think a Spyder is not a real motorcycle, but that his 3 wheeled sidecar setup was still a real bike. He seemed puzzled and then just said "Good point".

It reminded me of when I first started riding in the mid 1980's. My first motorcycle was a Honda Shadow with electric start. A neighbor of mine told me that he liked the look of my ride, but that any bike without a kick starter was not a real motorcycle. I can only imagine what a rider in the 1930's or '40's would have thought had a modern Goldwing suddenly appeared.

I've never regretted switching from the Goldwing to a Spyder for a single moment. Let the wisecracks continue, not my problem.
    I've been lucky that all of the encounters I've had with people asking about our RTL have been very positive.

If someone DOES say something negative, I would reply with, "I also have a Harley with 2 wheels, if that's okay with you".
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

17,000 Km trip this past summer across Canada and back. The Spyder was a great conversation piece, women especially. Husbands and partners warmed up to it after we started to talk about it and why we have one. No negative comments during the trip.
    "When Writing the Story of Your Life, Don’t Let Anyone Else Hold the Pen"
    "Too many of us are not living our dreams because we are living our fears.” – Les Brown

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT LE
    1985 Honda GL1200 Goldwing Limited Edition

Ernest

Spyder Garage

Just nod your head and agree. You are not going to alter their opinion no matter how clever your response is. Let them live in their own, small minded, world

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It really depends on HOW they say their negative statement. Sometimes, they tend to be just joking around. If they ARE just joking around, I'd probably reply with, "Well, one day, when you're barely strong enough to hold a two-wheeler at a stop sign with a passenger on board, you will see the light and trade your bike in for a Spyder. Mark my words ...."
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

I just tell them I can't afford a Harley

Spyder Garage

well I will admit to being one of those who looked down on 3 wheelers,that is until the day it was go to three wheels or quit riding. I wasn't ready to quit, so here I am. I have run into very few who make rude remarks to me about the Spyder. I have been known to ask "where's yours?" and usually get a reply of don't have one or I don't ride and that is usually the end of the conversation. Or I tell them if they live long enough they will get old, and if they get old one day they wont be able to hold their bike up and if they are not ready to quit,they will be on 3 wheels too. And after they think for a second they usually agree. Though I did have one fellow who said "no way I will quit first". I'd like to be around when that day comes
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 11-08-2022 at 01:45 AM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Years ago, my wife's instructor Ray, that was her instructor for getting her motorcycle endorsement invited her to the GWRRA trike class. Ray was a very cool guy, fun, upbeat, and a true motorcyclist. He 100% understood, my wife had no intentions to have her own motorcycle, nor Captain our Spyder. She simply believed if needed, she could ride the Spyder.

So, on a hot South Florida August day, we rode over to the nearby location of the GWRRA trike class. Ours was the only Spyder there. The rest were Gold Wing trikes, various displacements, and brands of conversions.

Knowing the class would be done at slower speeds, I over inflated the Spyders front tires, allowing my wife an easier effort to steering the various cone courses.
    Myself, I got to sit with other husbands, probably 6 or so, and overhear their comments. Typically, regarding the Spyder, all comments were negative.

While the woman rode the trikes, the first exercise was a very simple course and crawling slow. All the woman did very well. After that exercise, they took a short break. To the side, my wife commented how much effort was required to steer the Spyders two front wheels. I explained the increased air pressure, plus told her to ensure the machine was rolling when being turned and also explained as the speeds increased, the effort would be less.

Every lesson / course ridden thereafter, my wife on our Spyder our rode the other woman on their Gold Wing trikes. The number one reason, visibility. My wife could see those two front wheels, and never clipped or ran over an orange cone. The other woman, riding single front wheel, two rear wheel trikes, were killing cones constantly.

I watched, I heard the continued negativity towards the Spyder, but knew, the Spyders weakness, was simply the “Roadrunner” tone horn. (Since replaced with Cadillac Escalade horns from a junkyard).

After the riding course finished, we all headed over to Flanagins for a late lunch. While waiting for a table, the Gold Wing trike husbands still shunned the Spyder, but conversation shifted to places they had ridden. Obviously the Blue Ridge Parkway was brought up. Those guys were talking about there adventures there.

Recalling something my friend Bill had told me a while before, I asked those Gold Wing trike owners if they got the badge from riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. All with dumbfounded looks said no, and then inquired. I pointed out the Spyders BRP emblem on the frunk hood. Explaining that, with a story that was a lie, if you rode the Blue Ridge Parkway you could be awarded this plaque. Those guys and even some wives were speechless. Told them that the BRP hood emblem was this Blue Ridge Parkway plaque we were awarded.
    Gave it a minute, then told the truth that it meant Bombardier Recreation Products. I was very amused having listened to an afternoon of their ego attitude, they though were not amused. With that, we went inside for lunch. We had a fun lunch with Ray the instructor, his wife and one other very cool couple.
    Ray passed away a few years ago. He was one of the good guys and likely is missed by many.

Spyder Garage

I was putting some groceries in the bag on the back of the Spyder one day, when a guy I had known for decades from various bike rallies and charity events walked up. He asked where was my Harley. Told him it was at the house, waiting for parts. He looked the Spyder over, then asked what size, about a 250? Said nope, it was a 1330. He asked if it was fast. Told him faster than the souped up Harley I had been riding for decades. He walked off scratching his head, but he kept looking back at the Spyder. Then I saw him get in his SUV and drive off.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by whoosh View Post
    I just tell them I can't afford a Harley
    Funny you should say that, cos I have been known to tell some Harley riders that they couldn't afford a Spyder, and even if they could, they probably wouldn't be anywhere near up to handling the greater speed & cornering abilities of a Spyder ridden hard thru the twisties we have here in the Hills!

These days, those same Harley riders don't ever ask me or any other Spyder rider to ride up the back of the mob on any mixed-make bike ride due to the old chestnut 'that you lot with 3 wheels are likely gonna hold up the group by being slow, especially thru the corners' - instead, they quite politely ask us to choose wherever we want to ride, but do prefer it if we stay right up the front, cos they really don't like being monstered by one, let alone a collection of Spyders hard on their tails that're out braking, out cornering, and basically giving them grief for being slow & ungainly thru the tight stuff!

And largely due to the superlative skills & antics of one of the fastest & most capable Enabled Spyder Riders that I've ever seen (& tried fruitlessly to keep up with ) you should see these same formerly 'dismissive of trikes' Harley riding blokes if they ever see a Spyder with a wheelchair strapped onto the back - it's such a joy to watch them pale in awe & pay homage to anyone with such dedication to riding regardless of any/all else!!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    Last weekend I was parking my Spyder and a fellow motorcyclist walking to the same restaurant who had just parked his bike, yelled out "Whoa, I think you have too many wheels". I know he did it good naturedly, and then stopped to ask some questions about the Spyder. He was riding a BMW K1600 and then he mentioned that he had a sidecar rig at home. I asked him why he would think a Spyder is not a real motorcycle, but that his 3 wheeled sidecar setup was still a real bike. He seemed puzzled and then just said "Good point".

It reminded me of when I first started riding in the mid 1980's. My first motorcycle was a Honda Shadow with electric start. A neighbor of mine told me that he liked the look of my ride, but that any bike without a kick starter was not a real motorcycle. I can only imagine what a rider in the 1930's or '40's would have thought had a modern Goldwing suddenly appeared.

I've never regretted switching from the Goldwing to a Spyder for a single moment. Let the wisecracks continue, not my problem.
    Although a there is question about what a Spyder is.... in California, they are considered an AUTO-CYCLE because it has more than 2 wheels
    however they are insured and licensed as a motorcycle... go figure...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Although a there is question about what a Spyder is.... in California, they are considered an AUTO-CYCLE because it has more than 2 wheels
    however they are insured and licensed as a motorcycle... go figure...
    Yes, the state of Victoria out here classes them as an “auto-cycle”, Dave (none of the other states do), and then charges them the same as a motor vehicle for road tolls, registration etc. There is quite the battle at the moment trying to get them to change that…….and fighting with bureaucrats is one heck of an experience.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

so yesterday on my way to the Doc i saw 4-5 Harleys and the same amount of spYders heading the opposite direction.
    i wondered if they were going to an empty pasture to have a rock fight or if they were just coexisting.
    maybe He77 froze over.

Spyder Garage

I tell them I’m not even a biker I’m a snowmobiler I can’t wait for snow anymore so this is my snowmobile simulator been riding snowmobiles since 1968! in fact I like my spider just a bit more than Snowmobiles these days due to the fact I drive right out of the garage instead of having to tow it up eight hours to the northern trail system
    SNOWMOBILING ON PAVEMENT!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FIRECAT View Post
    I tell them I’m not even a biker I’m a snowmobiler I can’t wait for snow anymore so this is my snowmobile simulator been riding snowmobiles since 1968! in fact I like my spider just a bit more than Snowmobiles these days due to the fact I drive right out of the garage instead of having to tow it up eight hours to the northern trail system
    I don't think that will work very well in Florida.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

A few weeks ago, my wife and I participated in the Officer Down Memorial Ride here in Northern Virginia. After having done the ride, we returned to the sponsoring dealership and were enjoying the festivities. My wife started to get a little warm, so I took her jacket back to the Spyder. As I was approaching there were 3 obvious Harley riders (all the branded gear gave it away) standing near and looking over our Spyder. I heard the one make a comment about the dude driving this being afraid to get sand in their [ insert female reproductive area]. He was looking right at me. Being an actual retired Law Enforcement Member (NJ Trooper 25 years) and obviously in far better health (think waistline) knew the comment was directed towards me. Not being intimidated in the least I said hello and asked what they were riding. I received 3 descriptions that had no meaning to me. The one rider asked me about the Spyder. What year and model. Also asked me how long I have been riding it. Told him a year and a half and rode every month since we purchased in January 2021. Then the how many miles question was asked by Mr Female anatomy mouth. When I replied we are getting ready to roll over 9K miles his buddy busted out laughing and stated, looking at you know who, that's more than double of what you have ridden. With that I said enjoy the evening and retuned to my better half with the biggest S eating grin on my face. We ride a 2020 RTL Chalk/Black and have spent plenty of time talking to very friendly riders. There will always be "That Guy'.
    My brother rides a Harley once in a while. When we tell him the miles we do on a weekend he tells me his everything would be hurting.
    Someone else said it in here. We ride for us and not to impress anyone else.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

I learned a long time ago that you can't please everyone. I ride for ME not anyone else. What I ride is of my concern only. I still do ride a 2 wheeler but enjoy 3 also. Good luck to all and happy riding.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

I've had my fair share of comments from 2 wheelers about the our Spyder.
    With conversation coming to a end I always throw in.
    The one thing I don't have to worry about is.
    Falling over.

Spyder Garage

Going to be real honest. My riding brothers ride an Indian, Goldwing and two ride Harleys. They are great guys and I love the heck out of them. They good naturedly ribbed me about my three wheeler when we started riding together, but no longer.

On our trips, everyone and I mean everyone we have chatted with have walked right past all the two-wheelers with all the chrome and said hey what is that?...its a Spyder. Some of the comments were, that is the coolest thing I have ever seen or one word comments, but uttered positively.

I am constantly getting thumbs up from both men and women, young and old when I am on this bike. Also, when I pull over just about wherever I want to, gravel or no gravel, incline or not, wet or dry, don't have to put my feet down, clutch repeatedly when we get into traffic situations, can shift with a paddle shifter like and M3, with auto downshift to cover me if I get behind, can keep up with those bigger bikes not only on the flat and with wind, but through all the twisties AND reverse out of parking spot or tighter situation...the ribbing completely stopped.

There will always be people who try and put you down for riding a three wheeler, or something that is not a this or that, but they can kiss our three wheeled ______. These are capable machines, unique looking, fast and safe when your rip the BS OEM equipment off (sorry you stock guys and gals) off them and put on what they should have rolled off the assembly line to begin with...

We know what we have, other's don't for their own stuck up, ignorant reasons. Let them stay in the dark. For me personally, the two most important things are: this BIKE has extended my ability to RIDE when I could no longer safely ride a two-wheeler and that makes this one, THE most beautiful machine I have ever owned or ridden. Lastly and most importantly, my wife, who I am responsible for when she settles in behind me - has never been safer on a bike...ANY of the other three bikes I have owned, even when I was in my prime. You can't put a price on that. Again, let anyone say what they want, we know what we ride and what we have and that's all that matters...
    Last edited by lvmyspyder; 11-11-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White