Spyder Garage

Default 2017 RT Speaker upgrade - would 1" bigger be worth the effort?

I've done a little research and watched a couple YouTube videos on how to replace an upgrade the front and rear speakers and I'm wondering about the limitations on the upgrade sizes because I know to upgrade from the stock size up to six and a half inch speakers you need to pretty much remove most of the front dash and fairing to do that but if you just stick with the same size you can basically remove them out of the speaker grills or the sides.

Would the increase to 6 1/2 in be worth it to completely remove most of the front dash and fairing or would it just be adequate to stick with the same size basically would 1 inch increase be worth all that effort?

I saw a video of some guy that increased the rear size and he basically had to increase the diameter of the hole and it looked like the plastic around the hole was thinner than I would like.

Maybe I'm just looking for some decent quality speakers instead of increasing the size and does anybody know any decent speakers in stock size that would be greater output and clarity?

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wink

dkerwood01:

As I told you before it ain't gonna be easy.

to upgrade from the stock size up to six and a half inch speakers you need to pretty much remove most of the front dash and fairing to do that
    YEP

stick with the same size you can basically remove them out of the speaker grills or the sides
    NOPE

I saw a video of some guy that increased the rear size and he basically had to increase the diameter of the hole and it looked like the plastic around the hole was thinner than I would like.
    Would you like me to measure the thickness of the plastic? I've removed the speakers and radio to make room for another project (if anyone wants them let me know) and I'll measure it for you.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Some (many?) don't even SEE post titles, just the thread title; so if you want it to be read... ;-)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Would you like me to measure the thickness of the plastic? I've removed the speakers and radio to make room for another project (if anyone wants them let me know) and I'll measure it for you.
    Screenshot_20221031-230341_YouTube.jpg
    Looks scary thin to the me.

Got that from https://youtu.be/IZ8sNuJvPd0
    Last edited by RULINGCHAOS; 10-31-2022 at 11:08 PM.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RULINGCHAOS View Post
    I've done a little research and watched a couple YouTube videos on how to replace an upgrade the front and rear speakers and I'm wondering about the limitations on the upgrade sizes because I know to upgrade from the stock size up to six and a half inch speakers you need to pretty much remove most of the front dash and fairing to do that but if you just stick with the same size you can basically remove them out of the speaker grills or the sides.

Would the increase to 6 1/2 in be worth it to completely remove most of the front dash and fairing or would it just be adequate to stick with the same size basically would 1 inch increase be worth all that effort?

Maybe I'm just looking for some decent quality speakers instead of increasing the size and does anybody know any decent speakers in stock size that would be greater output and clarity?

Thanks
    Well, I was one of the first folks here to do this type of up-grade .... and I assisted quite a few folks in doing the same thing ..... Simply stated, a one inch increase in size/diameter is NOT going to make a noticeable difference ( if any at all ) in what you hear.... Some folks claim you can get GOOD Bass from a 6.5 speaker .... BS .... the cone is too small to achieve that .... I swapped the rear OEM for 5.25 JBL 2 ohm speakers and added those to the front also. Fact: if you don't change ALL the speakers to a higher quality - you will ONLY hear the crappy ones ..... To do this in the rear (ONLY) increase the hole size to 4 5/8 .... it's not too thin, it's not something that is "stressed". .... and DON'T even think above sealing up the rear housings, those boxes MUST be able to drain water.... also don't bother with "Marine Grade speakers", all the modern quality speakers are made from Non-Absorbent material ..... Good Luck .... Mike .....

PS: ... the head-unit was never the issue .... it was always the crappy speakers .... I LOVE great audio and I have achieved that for about $400.00 ..... Good Luck
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2022 at 02:35 AM. Reason: thos eboxes - those boxes ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well, I was one of the first folks here to do this type of up-grade .... and I assisted quite a few folks in doing the same thing ..... Simply stated, a one inch increase in size/diameter is NOT going to make a noticeable difference ( if any at all ) in what you hear.... Some folks claim you can get GOOD Bass from a 6.5 speaker .... BS .... the cone is too small to achieve that .... I swapped the rear OEM for 5.25 JBL 2 ohm speakers and added those to the front also. Fact: if you don't change ALL the speakers to a higher quality - you will ONLY hear the crappy ones ..... To do this in the rear (ONLY) increase the hole size to 4 5/8 .... it's not too thin, it's not something that is "stressed". .... and DON'T even think above sealing up the rear housings, those boxes MUST be able to drain water.... also don't bother with "Marine Grade speakers", all the modern quality speakers are made from Non-Absorbent material ..... Good Luck .... Mike .....

PS: ... the head-unit was never the issue .... it was always the crappy speakers .... I LOVE great audio and I have achieved that for about $400.00 ..... Good Luck
    Excellent.. Thank you very much for the response! I also suppose adding a small amp is unnecessary? I Want that sucker loud.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2022 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Excellent.. Thank you very much for the response! I also suppose adding a small amp is unnecessary? I Want that sucker loud.
    No amp .... loud ??? .... I have some hearing loss ( from pistol range ).... and I RARELY have it above 60%, ( at highway speeds ) and like loud, clear music..... For me the key seems to be I used 2 ohm speakers ( they are hard to find nowadays ) ..... you can always add an AMP if feel the need, and because you are up-grading to higher quality speakers - they are more likely to handle the extra power...... Mike

Spyder Garage

That's no joke about hard to find 2ohm speakers. I Also have hearing loss. Which makes sense..

Spyder Garage

I found one that looks promising.
    Kicker 10PS5250
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610P...50.html?tp=105

Spyder Garage

I found one that looks promising.
    Kicker 10PS5250
    https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610P...50.html?tp=105
    Interesting ... I got my JBL's from them ..... and The Kicker" might be the last 2 OHM models made .... I recall last year other folks here buying those Kicker's..... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd if they arn't loud enough add a Amp. ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Interesting ... I got my JBL's from them ..... and The Kicker" might be the last 2 OHM models made .... I recall last year other folks here buying those Kicker's..... annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd if they arn't loud enough add a Amp. ..... good luck ... Mike
    PS, don't be concerned that the Kicker's are 2- Ohm and the OEM ( junk ) was 4-Ohm ..... when I posted here about the 2 vs. 4 thing I was told by a few that the speakers would fail and or the entire radio .... well 70,000 mi later and neither has occurred. .... Going from say 8 ohm to 2 ohm could be an issue , but from 4 to 2 .... good luck .... keep us informed ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-01-2022 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Color/bolding for ease of reading by all...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

WRT to rear speaker removal videos, I removed all the fasteners shown in the video and more but couldn't separate the housing halves. Maybe I wasn't forceful enough. YMMV.

WRT to front speaker removal videos, I stopped short of removal via side access. I have to fabricate some wiring harnesses first and then will go all the way. I noticed Finless Bob was mounting devices in the front speaker grill, which I also intend to do.

Spyder Garage

WRT to rear speaker removal videos, I removed all the fasteners shown in the video and more but couldn't separate the housing halves. Maybe I wasn't forceful enough. YMMV.

WRT to front speaker removal videos, I stopped short of removal via side access. I have to fabricate some wiring harnesses first and then will go all the way. I noticed Finless Bob was mounting devices in the front speaker grill, which I also intend to do.
    Did you manage to change the fronts out on side access?

Spyder Garage

Once ALL the screws are removed it should just come free ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Once ALL the screws are removed it should just come free ..... Mike
    I think in the video I linked to, he had to slide it apart like it was slotted together. For some reason.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Mike -- as I said above I removed all the screws shown in the video and MORE. Even the ones holding the padding on.

RC -- Yes the two halves are slotted together in several places. You have to lift the outside lip up and over the inside edge and push the two halves apart. Perhaps I should have used some WD-40 to help with the slots. But I chickened out when the force seemed excessive. The previous owner had already broken off some trim tabs and I didn't want to add to the collection.

I'm not quite ready for front speaker removal. Many wiring harnesses in fabrication.

As you saw on the videos there are many fasteners involved. To keep them organized I suggest the small box of this collection https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017W2Q6PG The lid only opens half way creating a spill hazard but if you cut the lock tabs on the hinges you can remove it. For big job overnight storage the two front locks keep the lid on. The price doubled since I bought mine (I have three sets) so consider alternatives.

BTW my fastener organization requirements are worse than stock because I've replaced all the Torx machine screws with tailored length (usually longer) flanged button head hex (Allen) stainless steel machine screws, most with stainless steel washers to prevent friction damage to the plastic bodywork (some of the openings are kinda marginal). So I often use most of those compartments.

Spyder Garage

Those Kickers at 2 ohm run about $150 a pair. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20610P...50.html?tp=105

I found some 3 ohm JBL's for $70 a pair. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KVXAHQM...lig_dp_it&th=1

I have experience with both brands but wonder about that 3 ohm rating. At 2 ohms would the Kickers perform better? $80 better? And the Kicker grill surround looks like it would pose an issue with install going through the removable factory speaker grills in the fairing. I know it it possible but I do not feel up to removing all the parts to get in there aside from just through the front.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    LED Headlights and Foglights
    TricLED Dual Color LED A-Arm Running Light Strips with Blinker
    12V Cell Phone / GPS Docking Station with Dual USB Charge Ports
    Quick detatch backrest
    Show Chrome RT Trunk Rack
    Show Chrome Short Spiral Radio Antenna
    Custom Airbrushed paint with ghost flames

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the Crutchfield speakers and I think they're about the same depth as BRPs. The Amazon dimensions looked goofy. I can send you the BRP measurements if you want. The wires are 18AWG.

You can't remove the front speakers through the grill but it isn't that hard to remove them from the side as shown in the video.

Spyder Garage

I always thought that you can do it through the front. This guy did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCOC_ZNH8aM&t=252s

But if not, I can always just go for the side which this guy did to install the larger flanged J&M speakers.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    Quick detatch backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation We must have watched different videos

Bob White didn't remove the front speakers through their grills -- he removed them from the side exactly as I said. Here's a direct quote at 3:23/9:56
    OK fronts were easy! Just replace them from the side as shown

Spyder Garage

At 1:03 he says you are able to get them out through the hole.. it's not an easy process. But what I am worried about is the install of the aftermarket. In that case, you may be right ... just remove and install from the side. He said it was not that much work.

I appreciate your input on this. I will be doing the rears also at some point. Hopefully without modifications.

2017 Spyder RTL

Mods
    Baja Ron Swaybar
    Mesh Intake covers
    LED Skidplate
    Quick detatch backrest

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fascinating. When I open the video it starts at the 4 minute mark. I never went to the beginning, just scrolled back far enough to see the side access. Before I saw the video I had tried to remove the speaker through the grill but no matter how I positioned it, it wouldn't fit through the opening. But then I'm not any good at puzzles either.

I had the Torx bit but not the mini-ratchet. However I found, using needle-nose pliers, if I turned the machine screw about 15 degrees I could use my fingers to finish the removal.

You really want to try the rear speaker housing separation method shown in video, which I couldn't get to work. You really don't want to remove the grills unless, like me, you have no other option. They are a pain to remove and almost impossible to install.

Spyder Garage

Fascinating. When I open the video it starts at the 4 minute mark. I never went to the beginning, just scrolled back far enough to see the side access. Before I saw the video I had tried to remove the speaker through the grill but no matter how I positioned it, it wouldn't fit through the opening. But then I'm not any good at puzzles either.

I had the Torx bit but not the mini-ratchet. However I found, using needle-nose pliers, if I turned the machine screw about 15 degrees I could use my fingers to finish the removal.

You really want to try the rear speaker housing separation method shown in video, which I couldn't get to work. You really don't want to remove the grills unless, like me, you have no other option. They are a pain to remove and almost impossible to install.
    This was done a long time ago, I tried removing the rear Grills first .... I couldn't do it from outside .... I then removed the rear speaker housing and that gave me access to the speakers AND the ability to actually enlarge the speaker surround to use 5.25 speakers. .... when it came time to reassemble, I didn't use to OEM Grill's. I used the ones from JBL and mounted them from the outside .... I added RED LED lights inside the housing and wanted access to them easily .... good luck .... Mike .... PS I've said this before ...if you don't change ALL the speakers to a higher Quality model .... your system will sound like Crap because the OEM speakers are what you'll hear and they will ruin the sound - Period .... good luck ... Mike