Thread: Need an engine!

Spyder Garage

Default Need an engine!

I'm Buckeye Chuck, haven't been here in a while.
    I had a '14 Spyder RT. It had lots of miles. My health forces me to sell, 3 years ago, to my brother Buckeye Ken 48. His engine quit, no compression, at 218,800 miles. We need an engine. Is there anybody who may have one? A new engine costs over $11,000. If you can help call Ken at, 614 580 5368 in Columbus Ohio.
    Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Need an engine!

The 2014 Spyder RTS SE6 I owned, then sold to my brother Buckeye Ken 48, needs an engine. After 218,800 miles we think a valve released, no compression in #2 cylinder. If you can help, please call 614-580-5368 in Columbus Ohio.
    Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why not rebuild the cylinders, pistons, valves?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay Bubba what's your budget and what's your ability? There's a clean 1330 at a good price in your neighborhood for $2K (it's been on eBay for several months at this price) but has two issues of concern:

Photo 3 -- broken stabilizer rod

Photo 5,6,7 -- two broken lower transmission mounts

I don't know what this means for the structural integrity of the crankcase/transmission but this is the best looking engine I've seen for sale. It's a two hour drive away so I think it's worthwhile to take a closer look.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Okay Bubba what's your budget and what's your ability? There's a clean 1330 at a good price in your neighborhood for $2K (it's been on eBay for several months at this price) but has two issues of concern:

Photo 3 -- broken stabilizer rod

Photo 5,6,7 -- two broken lower transmission mounts

I don't know what this means for the structural integrity of the crankcase/transmission but this is the best looking engine I've seen for sale. It's a two hour drive away so I think it's worthwhile to take a closer look.
    Could swap out cases!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Chuck 54 View Post
    The 2014 Spyder RTS SE6 I owned, then sold to my brother Buckeye Ken 48, needs an engine. After 218,800 miles we think a valve released, no compression in #2 cylinder. If you can help, please call 614-580-5368 in Columbus Ohio.
    Thanks!
    Can't help you any with an engine (not that it's likely you'd really want to pay the freight from Oz anyway! ) but if you do ever find out exactly what it was that caused #2 cylinder to lose compression, it'd be interesting to know... valve, piston, rings? Likely cause? That sorta stuff...

We've got a few Spyders with similar mileage still going strong over here in Oz - more with the V-Twin motors too; altho there's a slooowly growing list of machines with either engine that aren't making it that far too... Still, for whatever it's worth, most that I've heard about not getting that far have been for other causes than 'loss of compression'?!

Good Luck on your search!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!