Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default what have you survived.

inspired by the (Exceeding Your Expiration Date) thread i thought it would be cool to see what we all have survived and lived to tell about it. i'll start.. my list is long.
    phunioma age 8
    ripped the back of my leg open on spiked fence 80 stitches
    ripped the bottom of my right foot off 50 stitches.
    flat head screwdriver through my left ankle. (homemade cannon gone wrong)
    10/28/78 crashed my 67 fastback at triple digits broke all ribs on my right side/collapsed lung/lacerated liver/right arm broken/left leg broken/dislocated hip & shoulder/ depression
    in my skull the size of large egg. 16 weeks ICU.
    1983 broke my tailbone MX racing
    1984 day before my wedding i was hit by car had 2 broken ribs. told my wife on the way to the honeymoon suite.
    1987 could have been the end. i came around a freshly pave corner on a road i knew very well in maine only to find that the pavement ended without warning, i went down and 120+ and lucky slid into a freshly mowed field. leatheres did their job/ helmet did it's job, farmer was kind enough to lend me his garage/ pressure washer and tools. for as fast as i went down the bike survived rather well. it needed new turn signal/ rear brake lever/ side panel and seat OH 1986 kawasaki ninja 1000.
    came about as close as you could come to drowning before a life line was tossed to me. ( tried swimming across brandy pond in maine.. the wide portion it's just a mile)
    5 battles with adult phunioma last one temp of 104.5 (was given last rights)
    COVID 26 days ICU.
    the hardest was dealing with the loss of my only child Pat. sat on the edge of the bed with my .45 in hand asking for a reason not to end it.
    it's apparent i got an answer.

there are many more but none come close to the above.

Spyder Garage

I survived prostate cancer. I'm cancer-free 3 yrs after radio active seeds were implanted in my prostate. Bladder shut down 1 wk later; and doing well with the postpubic catheter coming out of my new (second) belly button though. Also survived a difficult divorce in 1990 and stayed single for 15 years before meeting my current (fantastic) wife. (now together for 18 yrs!) Actually in very good shape for my age (76).
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I survived a spiral fracture of my right tibia, fibula, heel and ankle. I was in a modified combination plaster and Ace bandage cast for two weeks until the swelling subsided. Then back to the hospital to have everything manipulated for proper alignment. Woke up with a huge plaster cast that felt like it weighed 100 pounds. THEN, 10 years later, an industrial accident amputated the index, middle, and ring fingers of my left hand. The index and ring fingers were reattached during the initial 14 hour procedure. 5 rears and four more reconstructive procedures later, along with endless physical therapy, I was able to go back to my job with a 70% rehabilitated hand. Twelve years after that I had the first of two colon resections due to blood clots. Can't say that I enjoyed any of it, although I did learn a lot about pain medication.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The year 2000 and a divorce. I've been lucky.

Spyder Garage

Happily! You folks have me beat. I won't even make a list.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hmmm .... not as extensive as some of yours (just a few highlights):

- 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake in California, a 7.1 that lasted only 15 seconds. Lived in Hollister at the time, only quake I didn't hear first.
    - 1993 head-on collision on two wheels in Texas. Custom build BMW K75 LT was totaled, I walked away with no broken bones.
    - 2009 North Texas blizzard (rare), with nearly 12 inches of snow; drifts at our ranch were over 5 ft in places.
    - 2018 Tornado that struck Bowie Texas. Was only an F1, but still slammed our antenna tower into our roof and destroyed our largest solar array.
    - 2021 Texas Freeze where temps were below freezing for the ENTIRE STATE (exceedingly rare); we saw negative 9 one morning but never lost power.
    - And, of course, COVID .... had it early, February of 2020, and opted to rely on my natural immunity (no shot).

All the best ...... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Blizzard of '78, Northridge quake, tornado took the roof off of a garage I was working in, shot, stabbed, beaten w/a pool ball in a sock. Missed a BIG bear by a few feet in the road last year (on the bike)
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

On or about February 1965, Typhoid Fever, temp. up to 105, packed in ice I was told, and given my Last Rites. My mother told me I was swearing at the priest and called her (my mother) names, and she never let me forget about it. The only thing I remember was being cold, and candles around my bed. Once my fever broke, they transferred me to what was called the County Hospital, and quarantined. It was a place for the homeless, and other non payers that needed medical care, and those with DT's, and of course those that were quarantined (for which I was the only one). I got to watch a toe amputation in the hallway (did I mention non-sterile conditions). At night I got to listen to the screams and incoherency of those in withdrawal. I was there for a week and a half. I did get to see the Beatles on their first visit to the U.S. on the Ed Sullivan show. Since I was the only one with a t.v., I invited anyone interested. There were a bunch, but they had to stand or sit in the hallway; I was still quarantined. I was in 10th grade at the time, and missed a bunch of school, but was able to pass. I swore at the time that I would never work in a hospital. So, my last 13 years working was in a hospital working in Physical Therapy, and getting to listen to some good stories, and some not so good stories.

Spyder Garage

Medical History
    Date
    1/15/2013 Aortic Aneurism - Aortic Arch replacement
    1/17/2013 Stroke after aneurism surgery
    1/19/2013 Surgery for perforated ulcer - precipitated by stroke

9/27/2014 2ND MC Accident-6 broken ribs, collapsed right lung, broken collar bone

Now retired at 71 and ryding everyday...
    Last edited by Haze; 11-05-2022 at 08:39 PM.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm beginning to think I've lived a charmed life so far. Did a faceplant off my bicycle as a kid and fell through a skylight id just cut in my roof a couple of decades ago. Not much since.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Other than quadruple bypass surgery in July nothing really major in my 76 years. I still ride as often as weather permits

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Acute Pancreatitis in 67, turned 3 in the Mayo Clinic. 1st one to make it past 24 hrs. Dr’s think it was caused by undiagnosed Rheumatic Fever. Recovery attributed to “high protein diet and prayer”.
    Last edited by RapidSpyder; 11-01-2022 at 10:12 PM.
    Trent - 2017 asphalt grey RT Limited,
    Ultimate Seat, Baha Ron’s sway bar, Vredestine rear tire, Federal Formoza fronts, SlingMod’s LED head and fog lights, Lamonster’s highway pegs

HE>I
    2017 RT , Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I was 2 yrs. old I fell out of a second floor window onto the sand-stone porch/steps in front of my house ( a brownstone in Queens NY ) ... Neighbors said I did a double flip with a twist and rated it an 8.7 ... What saved me was I landed on my Fat Butt which was covered by a very thick diaper. I led a charmed life as a child..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    When I was 2 yrs. old I fell out of a second floor window onto the sand-stone porch/steps in front of my house ( a brownstone in Queens NY ) ... Neighbors said I did a double flip with a twist and rated it an 8.7 ... What saved me was I landed on my Fat Butt which was covered by a very thick diaper. I led a charmed life as a child..... Mike
    do you ever listen to this song semi charmed life by ''third eye blind''

i always ask when someone says they led a charmed life

Spyder Garage

I've been pretty lucky as far as accidents or injuries are concerned. Prostate cancer in 2018. Had prostate removed and needed follow up radiation in 2019. Been good to go with great numbers ever since. I'm 67 going on 12
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

1950-51 Diphtheria, temp so high they gave me ice baths and didn't think I would survive the night,
    Had to learn to talk and walk all over.
    1969 Vietnam. Three helicopter crashes, two in one day....last one I was only survivor, spent 2 1/2 months in coma.
    1979 Motorcycle collision, San Diego, Ca. Bike totaled. Me, just a few bruises. That's it so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not going to bore you with the details but I shouldn't be here right now. I'm wondering if I've unknowingly completed my reason for being here or is it still ahead of me?

Spyder Garage

I really should write that book!

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I really should write that book!
    Me too! In fact, I've started working on it!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

adolescence

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Me too! In fact, I've started working on it!
    Well, it won't be short story.

Spyder Garage

I have had a few incidents. First one I can remember is being jabbed by a pitch fork that had to be pulled out by my Mother, stuck in a rib. Next, Doing wheelies on my 250 and went alittle to far, put me in the hospital. Pulled out in front of a car on my 250 and was T-Boned. Bruised up on that one. Was shot in a hunting accident. Being in the wrong place, wrong time on that one. That nocked the snot out of me. Three months before I went in the Military I was cutting fire wood and slipped and cut my thigh really bad by chain saw. Still was able to go in the military. No major issues while in the service. I, T-Boned a tractor trailer, I was in the Hospital a few days on that one. (alcohol was involved, my fault). What else, oh yeah, I was working on an 18 inch vault door (thick), when my co-worker started closing the vault door and I had my right hand on top of the door adjusting one of the bolts. I did not have time to move hand all the way off of the top of the door. Index finger was cut off when door closed. Really tight tolerances on pressure door systems. Doctors was able to sew finger back on. Finger works pretty good. There is nerve damage. Family was touring on snowmobiles and I thought I could jump across this small ravine. Did not make it. Did not break any bones but was layed up for a few days. I have a few other incidents but nothing to serious, Broken front teeth, broken nose and ankle. Bruce
    Last edited by safecracker; 11-02-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Spyder Garage

21 years in the Navy, and a Heart Attack at 45 Years old.
    Jim Summers - Pensacola FL
    www.PensacolaHouseHunters.com
    2018 RT , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Well, it won't be short story.
    True dat, but then I never cease to be amazed at the quiet & sheltered life many people lead!?!

After all, what is life for, if not to be experienced?? So from a very young age I've jumped at every opportunity to expand that experience, & as a result I've led a pretty full life with few regrets! And those who've read the drafts of the first few chapters unanimously want more... So I'm working on them!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

My son says I must be a cat and have 9 lives... Couple major highlights.... Had an 18 wheeler drive shaft come through my SUV windshield and out back glass like a missile, jerked my head to side avoiding it taking off the right side of my face with only a few small cuts on forehead... DVT's in leg after encounter with a fox on a 2 wheeler, only had a sprained ankle initially. DVT became pulmonary embolism after clots went through my heart. Blood pressure was as low as 50/20 on ride to hospital... I am blessed, far more than I deserve!

Oh yes, not a negative but am surviving the birth and growth of a daughter, and my only girl, when I was 50. She is 7 now and the absolute apple of my eye!
    James C
    2022 F3 Limited Special Series