Spyder Garage

Default MPG & How does the computer establish miles remaining?

I have 2022 RT Limited with 1750 miles. Many people have told me it takes a while for the engine to break in and get better gas milage. My question is about the fuel gauge. On the speedo it will show how many miles you have left with the remaining fuel in your tank. How does the computer establish this number? For example I was on a highway ride and the fuel gauge showed a bit over a quarter of the tank with 77 miles left. When I stopped for gas the tank only took 3.5 gallons. Obviously the numbers don't work out. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    I have 2022 RT Limited with 1750 miles. Many people have told me it takes a while for the engine to break in and get better gas milage. My question is about the fuel gauge. On the speedo it will show how many miles you have left with the remaining fuel in your tank. How does the computer establish this number? For example I was on a highway ride and the fuel gauge showed a bit over a quarter of the tank with 77 miles left. When I stopped for gas the tank only took 3.5 gallons. Obviously the numbers don't work out. Any ideas?
    That actually sounds about right. At 77 miles to go you had approximately 2 gallons left.
    The computer calculates your fuel consumption as you ride and estimates how far you can travel based on your speed and fuel load as shown on the gage.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I go 200 miles per tank, about 50m per quarter, and the gauge shows essentially empty. But it then takes only 5 to 5.5 gallons to refill, indicating I have a gallon or more left when the gauge shows empty. (The 2015 doesn't have computer MPG feature. But the one in my car isn't really accurate either...)
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

I estimate the reserve on my 2022 RTL is about 2 gallons. When the bar on the side completely goes away and the remaining miles shows three dash marks (no number) it only takes about 5.5 gallons. And I am averaging around 32 mpg riding mostly in town.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    I estimate the reserve on my 2022 RTL is about 2 gallons. When the bar on the side completely goes away and the remaining miles shows three dash marks (no number) it only takes about 5.5 gallons. And I am averaging around 32 mpg riding mostly in town.
    32 mpg is my overall average too. I Couldn't really care less about the mileage. RIDE MORE ..... WORRY LESS!
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the older 2016 F3 models. I get about 38 mpg on my 2016 F3T and my 2016 F3 Limited. Both are better than my buddies 2020 RT. I just picked up a 2021 RT and am anxious to see what it will do.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

At best...the on board electronics not to be relied upon fully. There is always human intervention. Here, the person who fills the tank.

To get a good idea for the "ballpark" information from your computer, you must start by filling the tank to the same level each time. I am NOT talking about auto shut off at the gas pump. This method leaves room for about another one to one and a half gallons to be decanted.

To make sure your information is "more reliable" you need to fill to the same level each time.

I start with zeroing on of the odometer registers to zero each time I fill. I use the A register for convenience for me. The B gets used for trips of several fills.

I fill to auto shut off. Pull the nozzel out and carefully decant more gas until it comes up to the ring. I stop, let the tank go down by itself and repeat the fill to the ring one more time. Then I STOP. This process is done each time I fill. For a quick mpg, I take the miles that were on the register and divide by the number of gallons put in the tank. This will give me the mpg per tank. PS. You don't have to be accurate to the 4th decimal place. This is overkill, and the results will not be that much different. I go to 2 decimals, and round that to one. E.G. 4.76 gallons would be 4.8. 4.24 gallons would be 4.2.

This will be the closest you will get. The mpg from the computer is based on averages. This is where not filling the same can come back and bite you. Earlier mention of 200 miles per tank with the 1330 engine are right in the "ballpark." Major deviation from these numbers may indicate something is wrong. If you pull a trailer, drive in mountains, like pushing the wind, or are quick on the throttle, your mileage can vary a lot.

I have owned 7 separate spyders and the system I use has always given the same results. To paraphrase from a movie...I don't need no steenking computer.

Owned four 998's. They gave about me about 170 miles per tank. Light on at about 150 miles. Got 184 miles, one time, but that one was sucking vapor.
    Owned three 1330's. All will do 200 miles per tank. Most times, the light does not come on...but it is close.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-31-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ff73148 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    I go 200 miles per tank, about 50m per quarter, and the gauge shows essentially empty. But it then takes only 5 to 5.5 gallons to refill, indicating I have a gallon or more left when the gauge shows empty. (The 2015 doesn't have computer MPG feature. But the one in my car isn't really accurate either...)
    ff73, the computer does its 'Miles to Empty' (except that's really only 'theoretically' empty, cos it's still purposefully leaving SOME gas in the tank - see next para below ) calculation based upon a range/period of the numbers taken from the 'instananeous' Miles per Gallon calc displayed on the dash, only, because that is in turn working off results that are responding to the throttle settings & revs you have recently been running (albeit admittedly with some delay & 'averaging' built in ) that mpg calc is notoriously 'mildly' incorrect at any given instant; rarely truly achievable; & if you're aware of how it works & want to purposely fool it, you can fairly easily make that display show you something that's really wrong, but looks good - or bad!! So at best, the Miles to Empty displayed on the dash is a vaguely educated Wild Arsed Guess based upon things like your throttle settings, revs, road speed, the volume of gas remaining in the tank (minus the safety allowance) et al in the recent past; and at worst, it's basically just wrong, because any one of the 'readings &/or calculations' producing those figures mentioned has been distorted by something you've recently done or the forces that the Spyder/engine/gas tank contents etc have been subjected to!! So it's a fairly rough GUIDE, not ever intended to be taken literally/verbatim ac litteratim!

Missouri, you need to remember that like most other modern ICEngines, your Spyder's engine is a fairly complex Fuel Injected engine that operates due to components that operate to EXTREMELY fine tolerances which rely on a certain volume of gas remaining in your tank for both Cooling and Lubrication purposes! So if you run that 'gas remaining in the tank' down too low, so that the gas left can no longer adequately cool &/or lubricate those fairly important things like the gas pump & the injectors, CONTINUING TO RUN IT WILL START DAMAGING THINGS!! Now admittedly, that damage might not mean your engine screams to a grinding halt instantaneously, but it will begin and continue to gradually lose power & degrade your fuel economy, and while it may eventually self destruct cataclysmically, is more likely to just slowly run worse & worse over the miles until you can no longer start it or it stops during operation, well short of its expected &/or potential life.... So to avoid that happening within the warranty period, the manufacturers of modern vehicles have ensured that their vehicle's fuel gauges, which can already be fairly unreliable as a true indicator of the gas remaining in the tank cos they already hafta cope with really odd shaped tanks, have been adjusted to display Empty while there's still enough gas left to avoid damaging any of the important & expensive/difficult to replace components that rely on a certain amount of gas remaining in the tank to both cool and lubricate their operation!!
    So that's why, when your gas gauge says Empty, it really means:

'Yeah, I know there's some usable gas left, but if you let the gas remaining get anything much lower than this you WILL start damaging things'

And collectively, all that means is pretty much what ARtraveler outlined above - the onboard electronics are not there to be relied upon fully - Sure, you can use them as a guide, and they might even be pretty close some of the time, but you really don't want to hafta bet your life on them!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 05:24 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback.
    Frank Ferrante
    2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited Deep Marsala Metallic Dark
    2016 Moto Guzzi Eldorado

Spyder Garage

After buying my 2021 RT I became aware very quickly with how quirky the data was that show my mpg as well as the fuel gauge itself. I know that I get about 32 mpg generally and use that to estimate when I should stop for a fill up. Rarely do I go more than about 160 miles. And filling up does not mean when the pump clicks off. I guess its the shape of the gas tank, plus the variability in the volume of gas coming out of the pump with the switch depressed. If I have done 96 miles, for example, and know that I used about 3 gallons of gas, it is not unusual for the pump to click off at 2 gallons or so. The only time I really try to fill it to the very top of the tank is when putting it away for the winter. Then I stand at the gas pump squeezing the lever very slightly and holding the tip of the nozzle just above the opening to the gas tank. I then fill it to where I an actually see the gas and that it is almost at the opening. That still leaves room for a couple of ounces of Stabil. But during normal riding I just put in a bit more than when the pump first clicks off, and I pay little attention to the data on the screen other than miles traveled.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    I then fill it to where I an actually see the gas and that it is almost at the opening. That still leaves room for a couple of ounces of Stabil. .
    Vito, you might want to add the Stabil before you add the gas so that it mixes well.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Missouri, you need to remember...
    Remember? Heck, I never did forget! I already knew that stuff, that's why I refill at 200 miles.

I now have over 112,000 miles, and my ICE still runs like new.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

The onboard distance to empty is great for quick approximations. For better accuracy I have my Garmin XT set up to notify me after 300kms from last fill, and Mrs Garmin then very politely pops her head up at and shows me the nearest gas stations.
    It usually prompts me to reset it immediately after a fill, which is a 1 button push. I’m not sure how it knows I have filled up…..I assume it recognises the coordinates as being a gas station, but that is just a pure guess Works a treat for me

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red