Spyder Garage

Default Has anyone installed a Zumo XT with Heli Bars?

I have a 2020 RTL with Heli Bars and a Garmin 590LM using the factory mount. Has anyone upgraded to the Garmin Zumo XT? Will it fit if using Heli bars?
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by upsdoctor View Post
    I have a 2020 RTL with Heli Bars and a Garmin 590LM using the factory mount. Has anyone upgraded to the Garmin Zumo XT? Will it fit if using Heli bars?
    Yes.
    You remove the 590 mount from the BRP part, and install the XT mount into the OEM holes.
    Here's 4000 words.

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-31-2022 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Added photos and corrected orientation
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

yes but did not like looking down so I gathered the guts an drilled my dash and mounted above cluster
    Running the power cable is a chore but works

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    yes but did not like looking down so I gathered the guts an drilled my dash and mounted above cluster
    Running the power cable is a chore but works

IMG_0542.jpg IMG_0543.jpg
    I tried that, but it vibrated badly up there, Cirhere. It’s a great position, especially with the clarity of the XT, and I know someone else who has done the same with no vibration, so it is obviously something to do with my particular setup. Is that a metal bar underneath? I.e. have you drilled through and fastened the XT mount to that bar?

Sorry for the partial hijack, upsdoctor, but you have already received your answer - YES IT WILL (I have the XT/Helibars setup on mine).

Pete
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys. What do you think of the XT over the 590LM (other than the bigger/clearer screen)?
    Bob H - Derry, NH
    2020 Spyder RT Limited - Petrol Metallic Blue
    2010 RT622 Trailer and BRP Hitch
    BRP Vented Touring Windshield, BRP Backrest
    Garmin 590 with BRP Mount
    Fobo TPMS for Spyder and Trailer
    Lidlox, Blue Sea Fuse Box for power distribution
    Ram Ball Mounts for Radar Detector, Cup Holder and Phone Holder
    Sena 20S / SL2 Headsets, Foam Grip Covers, Belt Tensioner
    BAJA Ron Sway Bar and Shock Adjusters, Heli Bars

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    ..... so it is obviously something to do with my particular setup. Is that a metal bar underneath? I.e. have you drilled through and fastened the XT mount to that bar?
    Pete
    I put a 3 inch by 3 inch I don't know how thick not very probably 1/16 inch aluminum plate under dash and it works great
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-31-2022 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by upsdoctor View Post
    Thanks guys. What do you think of the XT over the 590LM (other than the bigger/clearer screen)?
    Absolutely no comparison, upsdoctor. I know you said “other than the screen”, but the screen is worth the price of admission alone. It is so large and easy to see in bright light. The XT is also far more BT friendly than the 590 (not that there was anything wrong with the 590). Pairing multiple devices to it is easy. If you have any network access in the garage, the XT will search for any map/software/firmware updates and install them before it turns off. If you can get a 590 free, great, but if you can’t, spend the extra for the XT. You won’t regret it

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I put a 3 inch by 3 inch I don't know how thick not very probably 1/16 inch aluminum plate under dash and it works great
    Thanks Cirhere. I used a very solid stick on 2.5” ram mount base. If I thump the top of the console, even with just a 2” ramball arm in place (no XT), it vibrates significantly. On the road, this makes the XT virtually unreadable. I’ll see if I can eliminate the arm in some way, because that positioning on top of the console is ideal, although sitting it on the handlebar bracket means it really is only 2” below the dash display, line of sight, so it’s not too bad.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Cirhere. I used a very solid stick on 2.5” ram mount base. If I thump the top of the console, even with just a 2” ramball arm in place (no XT), it vibrates significantly. On the road, this makes the XT virtually unreadable. I’ll see if I can eliminate the arm in some way, because that positioning on top of the console is ideal, although sitting it on the handlebar bracket means it really is only 2” below the dash display, line of sight, so it’s not too bad.

Pete
    I don't know what to say to help you sorry, but I mainly use backroads it just doesn't vibrate much at all

Spyder Garage

I don't know what to say to help you sorry, but I mainly use backroads it just doesn't vibrate much at all
    You have helped more than enough, mate I now know that there are at least 2 of you not experiencing vibration, so I will look at possible causes. In the meantime, the current positioning works Many thanks

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Yes, we used the touratech locking mount, kinda spendy but very secure mount and locks for quick trips into a store ect. We used the Lamonster clamp and plate (longer bolt with jam nut) to mount the Touratech xt mount.

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...unt-lamonster/

https://touratech-usa.com/store/Tour...Garmin-Zumo-XT

3.jpg 2.jpg

1.jpg 4.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

KAMJAM

Been using the Touratech mount since it was released. Yup, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. Very robust and secure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-02-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Been using the Touratech mount since it was released. Yup, it's pricey, but you get what you pay for. Very robust and secure.
    I have to say that for me it was a better option to simply pop the XT out of its cradle and into the glove box on the RT, Troop. Only takes 5 seconds with the single XT press release. Sure, that’s 10 seconds per stop more than the Touratec, but it is also $370aud cheaper. If it was under $30 or so, I might have considered it.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I have to say that for me it was a better option to simply pop the XT out of its cradle and into the glove box on the RT, Troop. Only takes 5 seconds with the single XT press release. Sure, that’s 10 seconds per stop more than the Touratec, but it is also $370aud cheaper. If it was under $30 or so, I might have considered it.

Pete
    Same here !
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have a Madstad shield on my F3S. This shield has a crossbar brace directly up/front/center. I use a locking RAM arm along with the Touratech. Direct line of sight, with no need to look down/left/right. Perfect positioning. I never remove the GPS except to update.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 12-03-2022 at 09:21 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I have a Madstad shield on my F3S. This shield has a crossbar brace directly up/front/center. I use a locking RAM arm along with the Touratech. Direct line of sight, with no need to look down/left/right. Perfect positioning. I never remove the GPS except to update.
    The change to software, firmware and map updating is another feature of the XT that I really like, Troop. I am fortunate to have network signal in my garage, so the XT auto updates for me in situ as soon as I turn the RT off.

P.s. great mount position for the XT

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 12-03-2022 at 04:31 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.