Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the DIY guides on Fuel Door Installation!

I wanted to thank everyone for the DIY posts on fuel door installations. Particularly thanks to Blueknight911 for his instructions and insight. I just completed at 2800 mile, solo round trip from Houston to Arizona and the fuel door installation was a Godsend, since I did not have to remove luggage every 150-180 miles.
    A friend helped me install the door. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes. Our approach was modified slightly in that we did not remove the seat from the Spyder and we used a hot nail and "hot" punches of several sizes to punch through the seat and plastic. We did not use a drill, and used a hacksaw blade to cut out the plastic. IMO, fuel doors should be standard equipment on all Spyder RT's sold.

preston motorcycle (2).jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-29-2022 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jbs1218 View Post
    I wanted to thank everyone for the DIY posts on fuel door installations. Particularly thanks to Blueknight911 for his instructions and insight. I just completed at 2800 mile, solo round trip from Houston to Arizona and the fuel door installation was a Godsend, since I did not have to remove luggage every 150-180 miles.
    A friend helped me install the door. It took us about an hour and fifteen minutes. Our approach was modified slightly in that we did not remove the seat from the Spyder and we used a hot nail and "hot" punches of several sizes to punch through the seat and plastic. We did not use a drill, and used a hacksaw blade to cut out the plastic. IMO, fuel doors should be standard equipment on all Spyder RT's sold.

Nice job......looks GREAT!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel door

.... Glad I could assist .... I'm currently in contact with another member who wants to add a door also. ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

I agree! You did an excellent job.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Which door did you install?

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

IMO, fuel doors should be standard equipment on all Spyder RT's sold.
    They fixed it from the ‘20 model RT up, jbs. Only the front seat lifts now, with the rear seat remaining in situ.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Very impressed, there is no way I could ride a stock seat those miles.

Our Corbin seat and I believe all the Corbin Spyder seats for 2019 and prior Spyder RT series all had fuel filler access doors.
    Beyond filling with fuel, at least on the Corbin, the access door hinge is on the aft edge. So then, if needed, once moving, the door can be opened to drive cool air under the seat, getting the seat temp back to reasonable quickly. Once cooled, close the door and hammer down.

Spyder Garage

Thank you PMK. My stock seat has been modified slightly with a "Butt Buffer" and topped off with an Alaska Leather sheepskin. The combination changed the comfort level considerably. I found that the gell cells in the Butt Buffer worked well, but if left in the sun, The Butt Buffer would get extremely hot. The sheepskin added a layer of comfort and solved the heat issue.

Spyder Garage

Any issues with it not having a lock?
    2017 RT SM6

2017 RT , White