Spyder Garage

Default Should I be able to Over-ride a Cruise Control Set speed?

2018 F3L
    Not sure if I have a cruise control issue or not. When I set cruise control, I have no manual control over my throttle to, for eg., speed up to pass a car and then let the cruise control default to speed again. Should I be able to 'override' the set speed manually with my throttle to speed up for a time?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GWHIZZ View Post
    2018 F3L
    Not sure if I have a cruise control issue or not. When I set cruise control, I have no manual control over my throttle to, for eg., speed up to pass a car and then let the cruise control default to speed again. Should I be able to 'override' the set speed manually with my throttle to speed up for a time?
    I was on FB group and got my answer. Thank you to all who perused my post.

Answer: I believe I am saying this correctly: The Spyder cruise control is not like old school (motorcycles) with a throttle that is (also) locked into the speed of the set cruise. On a Spyder, to override the set cruising speed, to pass a car for eg., one must open the throttle ALL the way PAST where the throttle would normally be at the cruising speed if it were not for a set cruise control. In other words, twist the throttle full open to be able to override the set cruising speed.

Spyder Garage

Answer: I believe I am saying this correctly: The Spyder cruise control is not like old school (motorcycles) with a throttle that is (also) locked into the speed of the set cruise. On a Spyder, to override the set cruising speed, to pass a car for eg., one must open the throttle ALL the way PAST where the throttle would normally be at the cruising speed if it were not for a set cruise control. In other words, twist the throttle full open to be able to override the set cruising speed.
    Yes the Spyder Cruise Control is like my 2005 Venture and my 2017 Road Glide and my cars. The exception from the Spyder is I had/have a cancel button on my Venture and my cars... I rolled the throttle forward on my Road Glide to cancel. don't need to hit the brakes if I don't want to. Hit the gas and you speed up and let up on the gas and you will slow down to the CC set speed. Only thing different is the way to cancel Spyder brakes only with-out turning off the CC.. I'm ok with it, but it is a little weird.
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Push the CC button up or down to speed up or slow down. Owners manual explained it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my previous cars (with manual throttles), the cruise control actually moved the pedal to hold the set speed. My Goldwing does the same thing, except it's the grip rotating, not a pedal. With the Spyders 'throttle-by-wire' setup, I think the grip is relaxed when the cruise is in control. You might have to rotate the grip to the point where it actually engages, then keep rotating for more speed to pass the car. I don't ride my wife's Spyder often enough to know this kind of stuff without going for (another) ride to check it out, so this is pure speculation and worth every bit of what you are paying for it.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    Push the CC button up or down to speed up or slow down. Owners manual explained it.
    This is not good enough for me. I want to throttle UP quickly and pass a car without managing buttons.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I KNOW that...do not want to have to play with buttons to determine what I want to do QUICKLY...pass a car and be done with it - especially when in the lane with oncoming traffic and sometimes having to accelerate quickly, and even MORE than was expected initially.
    Last edited by GWHIZZ; 10-30-2022 at 11:41 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    On my previous cars (with manual throttles), the cruise control actually moved the pedal to hold the set speed. My Goldwing does the same thing, except it's the grip rotating, not a pedal. With the Spyders 'throttle-by-wire' setup, I think the grip is relaxed when the cruise is in control. You might have to rotate the grip to the point where it actually engages, then keep rotating for more speed to pass the car. I don't ride my wife's Spyder often enough to know this kind of stuff without going for (another) ride to check it out, so this is pure speculation and worth every bit of what you are paying for it.

Yes, I got that answer as well on a FaceBook group for Spyder Maintenance

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I KNOW that...do not want to have to play with buttons to determine what I want to do QUICKLY...pass a car and be done with it - especially when in the lane with oncoming traffic and sometimes having to accelerate quickly, and even MORE than was expected initially.
    I don’t use cruise control when I’m in traffic only on the open highway!
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Gwhizz, the throttle on the RT is "fly by wire", so your twist grip goes back back to zero when you relax your hand. You have to twist it back to where it picks up the rheostat and then you can accelerate to what ever speed you need. When you are done, just let it go and it will return to your set speed.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-30-2022 at 07:49 PM. Reason: acelorate - accelerate;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze