Spyder Garage

Default Made myself an Adjustable brake rod on the cheap!

I purchased the F3 with # 3 rods, soon after I switched to # 4 rods. That made it better but the height of the brake pedal never felt right.
    Turns out the rods are hollow, so I cut my spare #3, threaded it for 5/16 and bingo. I can adjust it to any height I want, total cost: $3 plus the rod.
    I can't forgive BRP for not making the brake pedal height adjustable when the shifter IS adjustable on the same trike!
    A couple of pics of before and after.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

great DIY!!! the world need more machinists!!! i happen to be one
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

good job!!! To many times people just over think and are too scared to think out of the box and adjust!!! Good job!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to cofirm you threaded the brake linkage rod with a tap to accept 5/16" thread rod? Does anyone know what position a 6'2" rider with a 34 inseam would run at new 2022 spyder coming in the spring and want to get the right brake linkage. I am assuming position 5?

thanks Brent

Spyder Garage

Hi there. Im 6'2" with 34". I picked up my new to me F3 with a pos 3 bar. It was too close. So I made a pos 5 bar.

bar 1 2 20220524_084110.jpg bar 2 1 20220524_084136.jpg

Then I decided that it was a bit too far so I began to assemble some bits for a pos 4 bar. Then the wife had expressed an interest in having a go on the F3. She is much smaller and would require a 1 or 2 bar as the pos 3 was way too much.

Then I spotted this for sale locally here in NZ. Brand new and 1/2 the price of a new one from the US + postage so I grabbed it.

brake rod s-l1600.jpg

I set it up for pos 4 and its great for me. Next time the wife shows and interest its not much of a job to refit it to say pos 2 .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice DIY! Be cautious, though, that as the brake pedal drops in height relative to the footing position, it also changes the ratio of the brake pedal arc and the plunger displacement in the master cylinder. If flattened too much, there were be little master cylinder plunger movement, which could be an issue with a slight drop in brake fluid, resulting in loss of braking power and or bottoming out on an OEM or aftermarket floorboard. However, your mod likely improved your panic braking reaction time!
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

When riding my 2018 F3L I end up with half of my foot out past the end of the footboard and I have lift my foot up and back to reach the brake. I was thinking of moving the board from position 3 to position 4 and continue to use the #3 rod to change the height of the brake pedal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

I think your on the right track.

Obviously if your foot it past the end of the floorboard its too close, well for my comfort anyway.

Moving the board also moves the brake.

I swap mine back for the wife to a 2 pos and me for a 4 pos.

I made a block of wood so when I make the swap out the brake pedal is just able to slip underneath so it takes all the guesstimate out of it with regards to height.
    Take note of the brake height position before you move anything I reckon is worth considering.
    Here is a video on how to.

Being a belt and braces bloke I popped a drop of blue lock tight on the threads.
    https://www.lamonstergarage.com/spyd...nkage-install/

There is a monster video on how to.. well part of it. The pad has some nuts that need loosening. some heat was applied to the Clam shell nuts to assist as they they thread-locker on them. . Cant seem to locate that one.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 01-07-2023 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yes, I was looking at Lamonster's brake rods and thought... if I move the board, why not try the #3 rod? It's terrible knowing a little bit about of things mechanical ;-)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-12-2023 at 06:49 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

FYI... I unbolted the brake rod and moved the foot board down to position 4. The #3 rod is way too short to use there. Will have to look into Lamonster's modified brake rods, I guess.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-12-2023 at 06:48 PM. Reason: too ;-)
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjr00 View Post
    Yes, I was looking at Lamonster's brake rods and thought... if I move the board, why not try the #3 rod? It's terrible knowing a little bit about of things mechanical ;-)
    Hahaha…….you aren’t the only rider to think that way, CJR. Someone very near and dear to my heart tried exactly the same thing, with similar success to you. ……. Go the Lamonster route……works a treat

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

When I looked into this question of an adjustable brake linkage, my idea was first cutting the linkage in half, tapping one piece right hand thread, tap the other left hand thread, then use a turnbuckle to adjust the length. I haven't tried it because a #5 was just right for me.

jma57's idea of a tapped rod looks pretty good to me. Putting some black heatshrink tubing over it after adjustment would be a good idea for protection from the elements.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smokes View Post
    When I looked into this question of an adjustable brake linkage, my idea was first cutting the linkage in half, tapping one piece right hand thread, tap the other left hand thread, then use a turnbuckle to adjust the length. I haven't tried it because a #5 was just right for me.

jma57's idea of a tapped rod looks pretty good to me. Putting some black heatshrink tubing over it after adjustment would be a good idea for protection from the elements.
    Andrew, heatshrink tubing is decidedly a more elegant solution, however I had none in the garage when I had the adjustment just right, so 3 coats of paint made it look almost OEM.

Spyder Garage

I use the plastic automotive tape as I swap it from 2 to 4 depending on who is the pilot. Doesn't really matter what is used as long as it keeps the water/road crap out of the threads n stuff so you dont get corrosion and crap wrecking stuff reckon. . If I was the sole rider I would go the heat shrink way with a protective sleeve from tip to toe. But im a belt n braces guy as apposed to rip/+++t/n/ bust type. Each to their own.