Spyder Garage

Default Ok, I give up - what's needed to release rear turn signal light stem/holder/support?

I'm having to take all the Tupperware off the left side of my ST in order to replace a cracked footrest holder piece underneath.

I cannot figure out what tool to use to release the turn signal support/holder, see the hole in the photo below. Looking into the hole from the outside, all I can see is wiring. Looking from inside, under the seat, I cannot see anything except wires exiting the holder.

The manual says "Remove retaining screw securing flasher support to vehicle." OK. Gladly. WHERE IS THE FLIPPIN' SCREW??

The factory manual I have shows no exploded view of the turn signal assembly.

Can anyone help me out?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2022 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Here's the photo I failed to attach:

turn signal support.jpg
    2015 ST Limited; Givi E52 Top Case; Baja Ron anti-sway bar; Cal Sci wind screen; Vredestein Quatracs (front)

Spyder Garage

Being the limited, it's supposed have saddle bags & a supplied T handle tool with an odd triangle at the business end. The saddle bag brackets have 1/4 turn bolts that utilize the hole in pic, sorry, not sure of screw past that. Unfortunately, unable to inspect @ the moment, I believe the only other mount access was under the wheel well cover above the rear tire. Caution with those multiple length screws & ez cross thread clips. The two 10mm nuts also are on low torque studs. (Found out hard way...) I believe the wire harness was one main that Y split to either side. Has been a min & again, I'm unable to inspect, & only vaguely remember.

7505C079-9C5D-4E14-B115-FADB786E9358.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2022 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display +

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Thanks, guys. Still shaking my head.

Bert: I found the same fiche(s) in multiple online spots. I'm looking at Part 280 on the section at the right of the fiche showing ST parts.

Unfortunate for me, the fiche shows no mounting screws/bolts, so no help in removing the signal holder. 'ppreciate the suggestion, though!

On a closer read of the factory manual, I see a screw referenced, but I'll be doggoned if I can locate said screw in the rear wheel well. My head is still being shook.

Spyder Garage

an odd triangle at the business end

Good grief thats a new one.

What next!

OP How about a clear in focus close up of that silver fitting

Inkedturn signal support.jpg
    Last edited by Isopedella; 10-28-2022 at 10:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    an odd triangle at the business end

Good grief thats a new one.

What next!

OP How about a clear in focus close up of that silver fitting

Inkedturn signal support.jpg
    Yes for general description “odd triangle” 3E4D7F9F-57F5-4B8D-A41B-BB6A71F06963.jpeg (& now found pic)

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

It looks to me it's like a quarter turn, then remove it, and yours don't have a head on it for some reason! If it were me, I would ether take a trip down to the dealer and see if they could enlighten you on that fastener or order a new one and then make a plain of attack. depending on which way you have to turn the bolt to get it to release you may have to drill and easy out that shaft out of its hole, I know that sounds crazy but other than welding something on that shaft so you can get a grip on it, I don't know of any other way!! without it being in my hands , that's the best I can do for you. Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Gentlemen

THANK YOU! I've been trying what little I know for three days with no progress. You give me hope!

I've ordered the triangle tool but it isn't supposed to arrive until 3 November. I have used a large screwdriver tip to work the same quarter-turn tighteners/releases on the Givi luggage racks; screwdriver works, but it doesn't leave the triangle looking healthy. Right tool for the job will improve things.

According to the factory manual there's a bolt holding the support in place. Said bolt, as far as I can tell from the diagram, resides behind the Tupperware, in the fender area above the rear tire. Looking under the fender I cannot see a bolt that matches the manual diagram, and I'm loathe to start taking out any and all bolts, but may well have to resort to that.

I'll try for a better photo and I'll look at the right-hand side as well. I'm the third owner of this ST; have no clue about the mechanical prowess of previous owners or dealers.

Again: thank you.

Steve

Spyder Garage

Default some almost in-focus photos

Left side, the one I need to get off the bike. I think there's supposed to be a cover on the hole; bike didn't have any. It appears to be messed up a bit in there. I can't take credit for that. I'm guessing a PO got impatient and used brute strength and ignorance:
    Left 1.jpg

Another Left side:
    Left 2.jpg

Right (as opposed to wrong?) side:
    Right 1.jpg

Spyder Garage

I HAVE taken a piece of aluminum bar and file its width sufficient to fit into the slots you can see in the photos. Tried turning. No joy.

Spyder Garage

HALLELUJAH!

I went out in the garage and stared at the whole setup. Noticed the wires that run inside the support and into the under fender area. Saw a bolt that was in the same general aarea as the wires. Took out the bolt, figuring if it's the wrong one, I can put it back.
    It's the correct one and the support is now sitting on the floor (after unplluging the two wires from the harness under the fender.)

Thanks to all of you for your stepping up to help. I'm not out of the woods yet, but I'll see if I can remove the bolts for the footrest carrier/support now or if I'll need to remove the whole Tupperware. Not HUGE endeavor there, but I prefer doing the work that's required and not any more.

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Columbia View Post
    Left side, the one I need to get off the bike. I think there's supposed to be a cover on the hole; bike didn't have any. It appears to be messed up a bit in there. I can't take credit for that. I'm guessing a PO got impatient and used brute strength and ignorance:
    Left 1.jpg

Another Left side:
    Left 2.jpg

Right (as opposed to wrong?) side:
    Right 1.jpg
    These are lower half where the saddle bag brackets attach with 1/4 turn bolts in the brackets using the special tool believe bolts stay with brackets, sorry inability to inspect at moment.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 10-29-2022 at 11:05 PM.

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    These are lower half where the saddle bag brackets attach with 1/4 turn bolts in the brackets using the special tool believe bolts stay with brackets, sorry inability to inspect at moment.
    OH thats where that 1/4 turn bolt in that picture popped up, it goes into that hole!!! That makes sense now!
    2012 RTL , Pearl