Spyder Garage

Default Help. Engine light on after canisteretctomy - Any hints?

Hi All. My first post. Just got a 2012 Spyder Limited with 13700 miles on it. Surging so I did the canister ectomey today per the video. Took it out for a ride and the Check Engine light came on immediately. Any hints? Many Thanks KIm in Bisbee
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-28-2022 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question after move fm Welcome Section ;-)

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Light came on immediately? Well, sometimes folks electrically unplug or even remove the purge valve thinking that they don't need it anymore. Unfortunately, when the ECM doesn't electrically see a purge valve, it triggers a code and lights your CEL. If that's the case, just plug it back in. And I trust that you plugged the rubber hose that the purge valve is in that leads back to the engine. That should have been shown in the video.

Otherwise, start up the machine at idle so that the CEL is on. Call up the trouble code by simultaneously depressing the Mode, Set, and Turn Signal Cancel buttons. (turn signal button pushed straight in). A code will appear on the display. Go to this link and look it up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQl...ew?usp=sharing

You can come back here and post what it is and also do a forum search for the code. Probably isn't the first time it's ever happened.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-28-2022 at 08:05 AM.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

We'd have to know what video you followed to know if you got good information. Done right, there are zero issues with the canister-ectomy. It's all good. As referenced above. Don't remove the PCV valve. More work, unnecessary and will give you issues.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hey all. I left the purge valve in and plugged the line as shown. I'll check its plug connection. I used Jims video Case of America. The code is PO130. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Patrick; 10-28-2022 at 01:44 PM. Reason: More info

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hey all. I left the purge valve in and plugged the line as shown. I'll check its plug connection. I used Jims video Case of America. The code is PO130. Thanks again.
    That is an O2 Sensor Malfunction code. The one before the cat. on bank one. Sounds unrelated to me unless you inadvertently disconnected something or did not get a good seal on the PCV valve. Bank 1 is the right side. So, in the vicinity of the Evap canister you removed. Check your O2 sensor connections.

It could also be that the surging was not canister related. Did removing the canister resolve that issue?

Also, you might want to check the 2 vacuum lines on your throttle body. If they are leaking, they could be the reason for not only the original surging. But the code now being thrown.

Lastly, the 02 sensors do go out. So, it may be nothing more than coincidence. A bit unlikely, but at least remotely possible.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-28-2022 at 02:29 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Minor correction. That engine is a 998. Bank 1 is the FRONT cylinder. That O2 sensor is accessed from the left hand side. It’s on the header pipe just a little way past where it bends and starts turning to the rear. P0130 means it is out of range too high or low. Check the harness connector on the left side, those two vacuum lines, and if this is a SM-5 transmission, check clutch assist vacuum line. That is in the vicinity of where you were working.

Otherwise, yes they do fail. If it comes down to it, replace it.
    Last edited by Snowbelt Spyder; 10-28-2022 at 03:25 PM.

Doug

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Could you post a link to that video? I have no luck trying to find it.

Doug

Spyder Garage

Spyder Canisterectomy Made Easy. The vid is on Youtube. Thanks all.

Spyder Garage

Spyder Canisterectomy Made Easy. The vid is on Youtube. Thanks all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKujdUHh4iM

Didn't really see any problems with it....except that his background music interfered with his narration. But anyway, on the 998, the purge valve line goes to the rear cylinder of the motor - which is Bank 2. And you have a Bank 1 O2 sensor code. Maybe not related to that job specifically, but something else that buggered up the front cylinder O2 sensor or air-fuel combustion operation. As you are already doing, go back and review your work. You can ride it around for a few miles to see if the CEL and code clears, and we gave you things to check on and replace in case it doesn't, such as the vacuum lines, etc. I'd replace them just out of principle, anyway.

It never hurts to make sure that your other maintenance items are up to date. If it still has the stock plugs and wires on it, remember that they are 10 years old. The OEM wires were junk, anyway. Ron can attest to that. And run some injector cleaner, such as Seafoam, through it on occasion. Make use of the forum search function. You might find a nugget in here someplace. Good Luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doug