Spyder Garage

Default Anybody have experience with Can-Am Trailering Cover?

Hi,

I have some questions about trailering a Spyder on a flatbed truck or open trailer.
    • I understand that any bike should be transported facing the front of the vehicle.
    • I also see a lot of advice on forums, that you shouldn't cover the Spyder when you open-trailer it.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anybody have experience with the Can-Am Trailering Cover?

2) If you have experience with the Cam-Am Trailering Cover, did you use it to transport a Spyder over a long distance? If so, how did it perform? Were there any scuffs on the finish?

I don't want to jam up the system with a bunch of replies about how to strap it down, direction the Spyder needs to face, or other advice that has been covered in other posts. I just want to find out about the Can-Am Trailering Cover.

Can-Am is asking a lot of $$$ for this cover, and the name of it indicates that you can use it to trailer a Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-25-2022 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    All the best,
    John

2022 RT Limited

• Garmin XT (I would be lost without it)
      Driving Lights (Very bright to improve my sight)
      Floorboard Lights and Turn Signals (I like to be seen)
      Passenger Armrests (So my wife doesn't fall off)
      Trailer Hitch (So we can bring more stuff with us)
      Chrome Wheels (Because the beautiful stock wheels just weren't good enough)
      Front Fender Sequential Reflector Lights (I was wondering what to do with my paycheck)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Hi,

I have some questions about trailering a Spyder on a flatbed truck or open trailer.
    • I understand that any bike should be transported facing the front of the vehicle.
    • I also see a lot of advice on forums, that you shouldn't cover the Spyder when you open-trailer it.

Here are my questions:

1) Does anybody have experience with the Can-Am Trailering Cover?

2) If you have experience with the Cam-Am Trailering Cover, did you use it to transport a Spyder over a long distance? If so, how did it perform? Were there any scuffs on the finish?

I don't want to jam up the system with a bunch of replies about how to strap it down, direction the Spyder needs to face, or other advice that has been covered in other posts. I just want to find out about the Can-Am Trailering Cover.

Can-Am is asking a lot of $$$ for this cover, and the name of it indicates that you can use it to trailer a Spyder.
    Simply ...... NEVER TRAILER THE SPYDER USING ANY TYPE OF COVER - Period ..... Have you ever watched a vehicle that has a covered item or trailer drive by. Did you notice what that cover was doing, even at modest speeds... It was rubbing the Cr*p out of what ever it was on. Many years ago ( before they could HEAT plastic onto a car ) they rode on/ in an open trailer WITHOUT any covering, why - because the dealerships knew what covering them would do to the paint. Today it's different, they can successfully heat shrink plastic onto a vehicle it's so tight they literally have to cut and then PEEL it off, like you would do an orange ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The wife hauled her spyder and some sport bikes all facing in the direction of travel. OK to NC. No problems.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The way that cover fits, is lined and strapped down, I think you can be confident it will do the job it's designed for. I've had several of those covers and intended to use them for that purpose, but in the end just used them to protect the Spyders from winter weather when we had no enclosed space for them.

If I had to transport the Spyder a long distance in really bad weather, I would go ahead and use the cover.
    2014 RTL Platinum

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default CanAm Cover

....Sorry to say, but even the best covers can cause damage. Any cover that you have on your Spyder will be 'moving' on the Spyder while being towed.
    My Tip: Do not tow with any cover.

Best Deal, Use an enclosed Trailer. You will thank me for that Tip.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Just food for thought: It doesn't get covered to protect it from the elements while you are riding it, why then would you cover it on an open trailer? Being exposed to the elements is no harsher when trailering than when riding.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

I have a trailering cover for mine. They are very good, pricey, form fitting, are "zippered" to accomodate CanAm accessories, and have straps & buckles to secure it underneath and inside the front tires.

Having said that, I would not use it to trailer your machine. Form fitting means lots of contact points: frunck, frt fenders, top case and side compartments; there would be a lot of rubbing as the cover vibrates and billows in the wind. I would think that what is ON the paint would MAR the paint after miles of trailering with this cover; maybe washing it every time you cover and trailer would help.

And, cruisingTX, above, has an excellent point

I use my cover at the end of the season (after a wash) to keep dirt, sawdust and paw prints off it.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

Just don't do it!

Read my moto at the bottom of this post.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The O.P. is requesting members' responses based on experiences with this cover, not pure opinion.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-26-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum