Spyder Garage

Default Can a BRP Trailer Hitch be fitted without removing rear tire?

Can the BRP trailer hitch be installed without removing the rear tire. Many of the non BRP hitches advertise that theirs can be installed without removing the rear tire making me think that the OEM hitch cannot.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

There's no need to remove the rear tire when installing the BRP hitch. It's a 15-minute install. The wiring harness takes a little longer.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    There's no need to remove the rear tire when installing the BRP hitch. It's a 15-minute install. The wiring harness takes a little longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Yep, there's certainly no removal of rear wheel required that I can see in those instructions!?!

Maybe the a/mkt or non-BRP hitches advertise that way just to show that theirs will be as easy to install as the OEM Hitch?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-23-2022 at 03:40 AM. Reason: b ee - be :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Actually, the answer is as others already mentioned, the rear wheel is not removed to install the BRP hitch on the 2019 F3 owned by the person originally posting the question.

However, up until the 2022 RT series, the rear wheel did not require removal. As many topics and posts here and elsewhere have indicated, these newer models require rear axle replacement. The axle requires replacement in order to accept the long tie bolt that secures the hitch to the Spyder.

From experience, regarding installing or removing the hitch, the cotter key that safeties the long bolt / retaining nut can be a serious bother to install or remove. Additionally the split type cotter key is essentially one time use only. Years ago, to simplify this, and avoid cotter key replacement, for very short cost, I purchased a reusable type safetying cotter key. With this, hitch removal or installation takes a lazy 5 minutes from get to tools to clean up.

Spyder Garage

I have to admit when I was having a fiddle and learning my new ride back in March and getting everything to an A - ! tickety-boo datum point I looked at that rear axle split pin and reached for the side cutters. Then replaced with a new one. From memory some up front were in reasonable shape and a little straightening prior to refitting would have been ok but I swapped them out anyway.

Difficult remove?

A pair of needle nose pliers can grip the individual sides and bend them into position one side at a time. Or your Boinic fingers. Line them up and it may slide right out. Then sometimes once the pins are in line enough I slip a small slotted screwdriver into the loop and give it a gentle tap with a lightweight ball peen hammer I have works for me.

Naturally any signs of worn or fatigued replace with new.

I have read where some dont have the hollow axle and require a new one, or its not the correct size for the "Jesus bolt " that secures the hitch to the bike.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 10-23-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the information, very helpful.

Poasttown
    2019 F3L