Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried a Michelin HydroEdge Tire?

Looking for a directional rear tire. Has anyone tried this tire on the Spyder? 215/60 R15

HydroEdge.png
    2019 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic
    Sold - Ryker 900 Black

Spyder Garage

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by squarebob View Post
    Looking for a directional rear tire. Has anyone tried this tire on the Spyder? 215/60 R15

HydroEdge.png
    I have one on the rear of my 2014 RTS for close to 35000 miles...It is due to be replaced this winter when I service the bike for next riding season...Many on here have used this tire and everyone loved it...The only problem is Michelin has not manufactured this tire in about 5 years...So be careful, its probably a VERY OLD STOCK ITEM...larryd

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I have one on the rear of my 2014 RTS for close to 35000 miles...It is due to be replaced this winter when I service the bike for next riding season...Many on here have used this tire and everyone loved it...The only problem is Michelin has not manufactured this tire in about 5 years...So be careful, its probably a VERY OLD STOCK ITEM...larryd
    X's 5 ..... That tire went out of production about 6 years ago ..... tires get old, and are well on their way to just decomposing at 7 years..... I wouldn't use that tire even it were Free ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have had Michelin tires on mine for years...but not that one

Spyder Garage

The Vredestein Quatrac is essentially the same pattern and is highly rated.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-quatrac
    Last edited by RayBJ; 10-23-2022 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Corrected tire name
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The Vredestein Quattro is essentially the same pattern and is highly rated.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-quatrac
    It's not available in a size that fits the rear of the Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Have you considered the Riken tire Mike recommends. Apparently Riken is a well established tire company from Japan and part of Michelin.
    He raves about the tire, even over the Vredestiens

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    .... it's available in 205/60 or 65 - 15 ,.... this fits spyders fine ..... But I also recommend the new Riken tire , it's about $20.00 less and I have one ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Have you considered the Riken tire Mike recommends. Apparently Riken is a well established tire company from Japan and part of Michelin.
    He raves about the tire, even over the Vredestiens
    Just to clarify ... I really really like my Riken, however if cost is no object the Quatrac is slightly better ( but only slightly ..... Mike

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelscs View Post
    That's funny because I have one on My 2020 F3 se6, 205/60R/15.

Here it is at Tabcat bridge on the dragon.

IMG_20220726_103055313.jpg

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

OK thanks for the replies. I am now between the Vredestein Quatrac 205/60 and the Riken 215/60. The Quatrac specs claim 24.8 diameter and the Riken at 25.2. Which one brings the speedo closest to the GPS for MPH? That will be my deciding factor between the two.
    Sold - Ryker 900 Black

Spyder Garage

OK thanks for the replies. I am now between the Vredestein Quatrac 205/60 and the Riken 215/60. The Quatrac specs claim 24.8 diameter and the Riken at 25.2. Which one brings the speedo closest to the GPS for MPH? That will be my deciding factor between the two.
    I have that Riken and my speedo matches all of the Radar stations I've passed so far.... I don't know how more accurate it needs to be ???? . ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THIS IS GOING TO BE MY NEXT REAR TIRE...LARRYD
    $86.40

Hankook H737 KINERGY PT All-Season Tire - 215/60R15 94H quantity
    ADD TO CART
    DESCRIPTION

REVIEWS (0)
    New from Hankook and made in their new Tennessee factory! This is a Premium Touring All-Season tire that replaces the H724. This tire features Improvement in performance compared to the H724 with increased mileage as well as improved wet and dry performance. This tire comes with a unprecented 90,000 mile tread warranty!
    Tire Only – Wheel Not Included
    Treadwear Warranty: 90,000 miles
    Road Hazard Warranty
    Speed Rating: H
    Long Mileage
    Comfortable Ride
    Excellent Performance in Wet and Snowy Conditions
    Specifications
    Features: Treadlife: N/A
    Tire Size: 215/60R15
    Vehicle Type: Car
    Tire Width: 215
    Tire Speed Rating: H
    Tire Season: All-Season
    Tread Depth: 9 mm
    Brand: Hankook
    Assembled Product Weight: 21.37 lb
    Model: 1023465
    Manufacturer Part Number: 1023465
    Manufacturer: Hankook
    Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H): 25.03 x 25.03 x 9.30 Inches

At pectolcoope store, we strive to combine with manufacture to provide the price as low as possible with the Brand New best quality of produ

Spyder Garage

The Quatrac 205/65 puts the speedo dead on with the GPS. No more variance.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 10-23-2022 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Corrected tire name
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have that Riken and my speedo matches all of the Radar stations I've passed so far.... I don't know how more accurate it needs to be ???? . ..... Mike
    Calibrated our speedometer to match the GPS by making calibration changes via BUDS. With the equipment and understanding how its done, any tire size can be dialed in for 0.0 error.
    Opens up the possibilities to run whatever tire a person decides upon that is best performing, regardless of speedometer errors.

Spyder Garage

Vredestein Quattro, NO such tire at TIRE RACK, The same guy has called it wrong twice in this thread.

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post
    Vredestein Quattro, NO such tire at TIRE RACK, The same guy has called it wrong twice in this thread.

T.P.
    Getting a name like that a smidge wrong & calling it a 'Quattro' instead of a 'Quatrac' is easily done T.P. How many times have you seen other members calling the OEM tires 'Kendra' or 'Crapenda' instead of 'Kendas'?? Yeah, orright, maybe that latter Kenda mis-naming really does apply & could well have been deliberate, but still....

Anyhow, if you look at the link RayBJ provided in his first post, post #6, you can easily read the proper tire name off the end of the link: OR you could click on the link & see ALL of the tire's details direct from the supplier!

Check it out, here's a copy of that link: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/vredestein-quatrac
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    THIS IS GOING TO BE MY NEXT REAR TIRE...LARRYD
    $86.40

Hankook H737 KINERGY PT All-Season Tire - 215/60R15 94H quantity
    ADD TO CART
    DESCRIPTION

REVIEWS (0)
    New from Hankook and made in their new Tennessee factory! This is a Premium Touring All-Season tire that replaces the H724. This tire features Improvement in performance compared to the H724 with increased mileage as well as improved wet and dry performance. This tire comes with a unprecented 90,000 mile tread warranty!
    Tire Only – Wheel Not Included
    Treadwear Warranty: 90,000 miles
    Road Hazard Warranty
    Speed Rating: H
    Long Mileage
    Comfortable Ride
    Excellent Performance in Wet and Snowy Conditions
    Specifications
    Features: Treadlife: N/A
    Tire Size: 215/60R15
    Vehicle Type: Car
    Tire Width: 215
    Tire Speed Rating: H
    Tire Season: All-Season
    Tread Depth: 9 mm
    Brand: Hankook
    Assembled Product Weight: 21.37 lb
    Model: 1023465
    Manufacturer Part Number: 1023465
    Manufacturer: Hankook
    Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H): 25.03 x 25.03 x 9.30 Inches

At pectolcoope store, we strive to combine with manufacture to provide the price as low as possible with the Brand New best quality of produ
    When researching Spyder tires, knowing the Spyder is a fraction of a car / SUV weight, I only consider High Performance tires and will not consider Touring tires. Grip on a lighter vehicle is important.
    If these ratings and test results were compared in a manner, that rated performance comparing all tires on the same scale, when tested for dry traction, snow, quietness and more, the results would be more useful.
    Simply, the highest rated Touring tires, will be a fraction of the grip offered by High Performance tires.

Consider, a fully loaded Spyder, at max published weight, including passengers and cargo, is about 1700 pounds for an RT series. The F3 series will be lighter, as will no cargo and a single rider of 210 pounds fully geared up.

The best scenario would have the weight distributed 50% on the single rear tire and 50% on the pair of front tires. This would place 850 pounds on the rear tire. Comparing, a Honda Civic, would have a similar weight on a single tire as the fully loaded Spyder rear tire.
    Under the same calculation, the pair of front tires sharing 850 pounds would each see only 425 pounds per tire.

Knowing Spyders have a forward mounted engine, front suspension, two front wheels, can load more weight in the frunk, and typically the heavier rider is positioned forward, the weight bias seems to move away from 50/50. I personally have never measured corner weights of a Spyder. I do realize as the numbers shift towards a more weighted front, the rear tire weight decreases, and with that the tires ability to grip the road surface decreases.

Many folks do run touring tires, and report acceptable performance for themselves. Hopefully the limits of grip are never needed. If Touring Tires offered the best grip, it seems high performance sports cars would be delivered with them. I highly doubt owners of high performance cars are replacing performance tires with touring tires as an upgrade.

Merely consider all factors and priorities when deciding. Myself I take grip over tire longevity for the Spyder.

Also, with it now fashionable to be concerned about tire date codes, and many folks insisting that tires older than 7 years old need replacement, one should consider miles per year ridden on the Spyder. We often see these touring tires going 30,000, 40,000 and maybe more miles before replacement. That requires about 5,000 miles per year on the Spyder at a minimum.

Spyder Garage

When researching Spyder tires, knowing the Spyder is a fraction of a car / SUV weight, I only consider High Performance tires and will not consider Touring tires. Grip on a lighter vehicle is important.
    If these ratings and test results were compared in a manner, that rated performance comparing all tires on the same scale, when tested for dry traction, snow, quietness and more, the results would be more useful.
    Simply, the highest rated Touring tires, will be a fraction of the grip offered by High Performance tires.

Consider, a fully loaded Spyder, at max published weight, including passengers and cargo, is about 1700 pounds for an RT series. The F3 series will be lighter, as will no cargo and a single rider of 210 pounds fully geared up.

The best scenario would have the weight distributed 50% on the single rear tire and 50% on the pair of front tires. This would place 850 pounds on the rear tire. Comparing, a Honda Civic, would have a similar weight on a single tire as the fully loaded Spyder rear tire.
    Under the same calculation, the pair of front tires sharing 850 pounds would each see only 425 pounds per tire.

Knowing Spyders have a forward mounted engine, front suspension, two front wheels, can load more weight in the frunk, and typically the heavier rider is positioned forward, the weight bias seems to move away from 50/50. I personally have never measured corner weights of a Spyder. I do realize as the numbers shift towards a more weighted front, the rear tire weight decreases, and with that the tires ability to grip the road surface decreases.

Many folks do run touring tires, and report acceptable performance for themselves. Hopefully the limits of grip are never needed. If Touring Tires offered the best grip, it seems high performance sports cars would be delivered with them. I highly doubt owners of high performance cars are replacing performance tires with touring tires as an upgrade.

Merely consider all factors and priorities when deciding. Myself I take grip over tire longevity for the Spyder.

Also, with it now fashionable to be concerned about tire date codes, and many folks insisting that tires older than 7 years old need replacement, one should consider miles per year ridden on the Spyder. We often see these touring tires going 30,000, 40,000 and maybe more miles before replacement. That requires about 5,000 miles per year on the Spyder at a minimum.
    So my inquiry is, based on your informative post, what tire do you run or recommend?
    Sold - Ryker 900 Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by T.P. View Post

T.P.
    My bad! Sorry you were unable to figure it out even with the correct link.

Ride safe!

Spyder Garage

So my inquiry is, based on your informative post, what tire do you run or recommend?
    I do not recommend specifically what tires folks on this website should run. But do, as you read, recommend performance tires over touring tires.

Currently on our Spyder. A pair of Federal Formoza fronts and a Yokohama s.Drive rear. The Yokohama was marketed as a high performance summer tire and not for cooler road temps. Like many tires, over time they are discontinued and newer models are released. The s.Drive is no longer offered.

Spyder Garage

" a fraction of the grip " .... seriously ..... ..... JMHO ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    " a fraction of the grip " .... seriously ..... ..... JMHO ...... Mike
    Mike, simply prove me wrong...do you seriously believe a touring tire has equal or better grip than a high performance tire? If not equal in grip, or more grip, then yes, it is a fraction of the grip.

It would be so much nicer if these tire tests compared all tires on the same scale for all parameters. Problem though is the lower ratings, if done this way, for lesser performing tires, would hinder sales.

Spyder Garage

Mike, simply prove me wrong...do you seriously believe a touring tire has equal or better grip than a high performance tire? If not equal in grip, or more grip, then yes, it is a fraction of the grip.

It would be so much nicer if these tire tests compared all tires on the same scale for all parameters. Problem though is the lower ratings, if done this way, for lesser performing tires, would hinder sales.
    My issue is with the wording you used ...... a " fraction " of the grip, to me means less than 1% ..... So the Touring tires have less than 1% of the grip of High performance tires ????? ....which equates to - High performance tires have 99% MORE grip than touring tires. ..... this isn't possible ....... Mike