Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Have been watching this post with fear. I use my Can Am as my car. Would be going crazy without transportation. I would say best of luck, but do not see any luck in your case. All I can say is I feel for you! Really makes me worry about a new purchase. Thanks for the update.
    2021 F3S , Grey/orange

Spyder Garage

Default Update Jan 3, 2023

Update: Bike is still in the shop. Mechanic has found nothing wrong with the transmission (and no one found any computer issues from BRP over the past 2 months since the bike arrived at the shop 11/8). Service Shop is now waiting on BRP via email for further instructions.

This bike is my 2nd Spyder and was to be a special gift to myself for personal reasons. It is a more-than-likely a one time only new, upgraded and custom ryde I 'had' planned on continuing upgrading this year...the mood isn't as strong as it was when I was excitingly anticipating and waiting months for it to be delivered from BRP. Day 1 of picking it...it rained and couldn't ride it...trailered it home. Day 2 I was able to ride it...issues for the next year+ due to shaking (not vibrations)...another long irritating thread about that in our forums. And, the warranty runs out in March...

Nothing else to say...
    Life's short...Play it by ear and ryde!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Update: Bike is still in the shop. Mechanic has found nothing wrong with the transmission (and no one found any computer issues from BRP over the past 2 months since the bike arrived at the shop 11/8). Service Shop is now waiting on BRP via email for further instructions.

This bike is my 2nd Spyder and was to be a special gift to myself for personal reasons. It is a more-than-likely a one time only new, upgraded and custom ryde I 'had' planned on continuing upgrading this year...the mood isn't as strong as it was when I was excitingly anticipating and waiting months for it to be delivered from BRP. Day 1 of picking it...it rained and couldn't ride it...trailered it home. Day 2 I was able to ride it...issues for the next year+ due to shaking (not vibrations)...another long irritating thread about that in our forums. And, the warranty runs out in March...

Nothing else to say...
    Thanks for updating hopefully 23 will improve

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks...I'm optimistic about '23. I think my whining was a bit much though as I still love Spyders.

Spyder Garage

And, the warranty runs out in March...

You might want to look into an extended warranty. BRP BEST warranty for 3 yrs from Imotosports; $671. Just bought it for my '20 F3L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5Wheels View Post
    And, the warranty runs out in March...

You might want to look into an extended warranty. BRP BEST warranty for 3 yrs from Imotosports; $671. Just bought it for my '20 F3L
    It is a really good suggestion. I have not put much thought into it and keep forgetting. Thank you.

It'd be nice if they (BRP) tagged an extended "promise" on there from all the trouble I've had since 'literally' day 2 after arriving home trailering it 4 hours from the dealership...then trailering it back and forth several times due to the bike severely shaking and wobbling (not vibrations). Not to mention the times I have to ride and trailer it to the local dealership. Plus all the extra money I've spent on my own trying to figure it out such as buying new front rubber just to see if that would correct the issue...had no choice because the original dealership and BRP both said there were no issues. Talk about a punch in the throat...it still hurts. I've not even included the toll it has taken on my mental health (no joke).

I always get asked the question - "Did you not ride it before you left the dealership?" No...Day 1 I could not due to rain the entire day and drive back. It was not until the next day...that was the beginning of the 1+ year long battle trying to fix the severe shaking and wobbling (not vibrations) which has its own long thread here on SL.

As for an update...the mechanic put the bike back together enough to test it. It still will not get out of first. And, still no news from BRP. So, the dealership is in a holding pattern. Yesterday made 2 months she's been at the shop.

Couple lil' tips...customize your ryde 'after' it is built with its own parts from the box and 'after' you test ryde it 'before' taking it home...leave it if you cannot.

I'll be in touch...thanks ya'll.

Spyder Garage

Update as of 1/12/2023

Mechanic found the shift shaft assembly broken and ordered a new one which is on backorder. No ETA. Once installed and transmission put back, he'll test it as there might be more to it...we'll see. In case anyone is interested as I had to look it up...below is an image and URL to what it looks like with cost. In one of my videos posted earlier in this thread, you can see it try to turn but only budges a tad back and forth. I do not know if it broke because of my riding, weld missing, just a bad part or combination of those... I also do not know why the limp mode never came on and/or BRP's computer diagnostics didn't pick this up. I'll be in touch. Thanks all.

https://www.canamoemparts.com/oempar...ing-system-se6

shift-shaft-assembly.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2023 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Moved Post title into text - many won't see post titles, only Thread Titles! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Update as of 1/20/2023

Parts came in some time last week. No ETA (at that time) when they will get back to things...if not this past Saturday, then maybe tomorrow.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2023 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Moved 'Post title' into body text - many won't see Post titles, only Thread Titles, so there's no point in using it!

Spyder Garage

Default Update as of 2/2/2023

The transmission is (for the most part) back together. However, it will remain on the work bench and not be re-installed until the mechanic receives some torque specs from BRP. However x 2, BRP is closed until 2/7/2023. HTH do you close an entire company such as BRP??

Anyway, no eta of things afterwards... There's still a spare key to be programmed, frunk put back, etc..

2/8 marks 3 months and a birthday without a ryde. I know...where's the wambulance...

I've inquired about an extended warranty and waiting on a call back. Hopefully there won't be any issues with it.

Take care all.

Spyder Garage

You are a better man than me my friend. there would be a new ride in my door yard by now if this was mine!! Good luck I hope this is the end of all your troubles, and it never sees the inside of a dealership repair shop.
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Default Update 2/24/2023

Bought a 4 year transferable warranty ($1,400) as the BRP warranty expires in a few days (March 2023). Probably could've gotten it cheaper, so please don't say as this hurt my soul and wallet, etc. after everything else paid into this bike since purchased.

The bike is ready for me pickup, but I'm going to test ride before leaving the dealership's service area with it. However, I can't do anything until the paperwork with BRP, etc. including warranty verfication and billing is done. ETA: Between this afternoon and sometime next week...

I'm hoping all goes well, because I don't know if I can mentallly handle any futher issues...not to mention more money.

Not sure what else to say, so take care and ryde safe ya'll.

Spyder Garage

What warranty did u go with?
    2022 Spyder RTL- Chrome , Larger brake pedal Deep Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bayoumanPIBE View Post
    Bought a 4 year transferable warranty ($1,400) as the BRP warranty expires in a few days (March 2023). Probably could've gotten it cheaper, so please don't say as this hurt my soul and wallet, etc. after everything else paid into this bike since purchased.

The bike is ready for me pickup, but I'm going to test ride before leaving the dealership's service area with it. However, I can't do anything until the paperwork with BRP, etc. including warranty verfication and billing is done. ETA: Between this afternoon and sometime next week...

I'm hoping all goes well, because I don't know if I can mentallly handle any futher issues...not to mention more money.

Not sure what else to say, so take care and ryde safe ya'll.
    I would think they could have done you just a little better on price but at least you have one!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

@rhino1 - I went with the local (non-orignally purchased) dealership warranty.
    Last edited by bayoumanPIBE; 02-25-2023 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Added rhino1 as primary receiver

Spyder Garage

Default Update 2/25/2023

I got her back last night. The BRP warranty covered all related costs.

I do feel more confident in the mechanic's work after talking with him. The issue (as mentioned earlier in this thread) was the weld on the shaft broke, but the cause of the break is speculative. I didn't think to ask, but I wonder if BRP will want to study it or not...you'd think.

I was only allowed ~30min last evening to test ride as it was really cold, elbow pain and time of day...not near long enough, but so far so good.

With that honestly being shared...unfortunately, for a min, there's going to be a lingering paranoia feeling of issues, which is to be expected as this was NOT a small job. It's bad enough there's that little concern after a standard oil change. But, basically between debugging the issue and actual work, she was completely taken apart and rebuilt. This not only included the transmission but disassembly of the engine and everything to the rear wheel...to the point my bell needed to be removed. I mean, she's got that burning smell very similar to when first purchased.

Not that any of this is (or has been) funny what-so-ever...I try to laugh somewhat jokingly that during last evening's ride nothing felt or sounded right making me wonder if that one special bolt holding the entire bike together was torqued properly. However, the gremlin thoughts did not completely stop me from enjoying the ride. It was a nice to have even a little wind therapy last evening after so long.

On the serious side, I am going to work with the service department after she's had a few miles on the road for a once over checking bolts, etc..

Speaking of...thanks to Head Motors' service team for the work, empathy, follow-ups, a few extra peace-of-mind things and most importantly overall follow through of getting my ryde running.

I'll post an update later after some road-time. Take care all...ryde on...ryde safe.

PS. It's good to see this view again...now time to put my bell back on...

after-surgery.jpg after-surgery_bell.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhino1 View Post
    What warranty did u go with?
    Hey rhino1...realized last night I only gave a partial answer, so I apologize. I got the dealer warranty through Head Motors here in Columbia, MO.

Spyder Garage

Default Update 3/12/2023 - Test Ride Results

I've been able to get in ~400 mi of successful test riding since I picked her up 2 weeks ago. The wind therapy has been great...cold, but great!

Thank you all for your input and support!

Take care, and ryde safe.

Spyder Garage

Happy to hear both your attitude and Spyder are doing well. I hope you now have many happy miles in the future.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze