Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Any portable air compressors to run off battery lead?

are there any air compressors that would plug into a battery tender lead.
    been coming up empty on my searches

thanks
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2022 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Check Cycle Gear for Micro-Start Tire Inflator, $24.99

Spyder Garage

This one does and also comes with valve stem extender for rear wheel:https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/e...ht;sp_cs=UTF-8
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

The limitation of the Battery Tender lead is in regards to how the leads are fed to the battery. If the leads are direct to the battery, hopefully they are fused. If the wire gage is adequate, which it should be, and the fuse is sufficient rating, then most any 12v compressor can work.

Very easy to either redo the wires end on the compressor, or fabricate a simple adapter.

Regarding a direct a plug and play, not sure about specifics on that.

Spyder Garage

Dynaplug Micro Inflator hooks to a battery tender lead,

Screenshot_20221021_051230.jpg
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    The limitation of the Battery Tender lead is in regards to how the leads are fed to the battery. If the leads are direct to the battery, hopefully they are fused. If the wire gage is adequate, which it should be, and the fuse is sufficient rating, then most any 12v compressor can work.

Very easy to either redo the wires end on the compressor, or fabricate a simple adapter.

Regarding a direct a plug and play, not sure about specifics on that.
    i thought about that and blowing the inline fuse.
    i may have to rethink this or run a designated cable
    to handle the draw.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    i thought about that and blowing the inline fuse.
    i may have to rethink this or run a designated cable
    to handle the draw.
    Myself, I would add a dedicated compressor circuit, then use the compressor of my choice. The Battery Minder will easily work through a circuit designed for the compressor, even if as simple as uping the fuse rating.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There aren't any 12v compressors that run plug 'n play off a battery maintainer sae connector!

This is because sae connectors for the battery side have reverse polarity from the connectors for the load side.

Normally, the battery tender is feeding the battery and when used to plug in a load, it's the battery feeding the load. The recessed connector from the source should be the positive lead.

ANY 12v compressor will run off an SAE connector IF you first buy or make an adapter!!!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-22-2022 at 04:41 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Admittedly, this compressor - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 is a bit large, but... It's one of the best 12V compressors I have found.

It could easily be made to work. Either use the battery clips, or add in an adapter https://www.amazon.com/KUNCAN-Motorc...id=1666438576&

--Exco
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-22-2022 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Displayed hidden links to avoid spam/scam

Spyder Garage

Someone mentioned the brand already - Microstart makes a small compressor that plugs into some of their compact jump starters. Also available is a harness that goes to the battery posts for a quick connection to the jump starter when needed. This would take the worry out of being able to plug into the battery tender lead for a jump starter or compressor

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...s/micro-start/
    2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Dynaplug Micro Inflator hooks to a battery tender lead,

Screenshot_20221021_051230.jpg
    Not quite so. It does have an SAE connector as one of the cord options, BUT that connects directly to the battery, not to an existing battery tender cord. It cannot plug directly into your battery maintainer connection because the polarity will be reversed.

What's in the box:
    - Dynaplug Micro Pro Inflator
    - Universal cig/BMW style power cord
    - Ballistic nylon dual compartment pouch
    - Battery clips to SAE plug
    - Ring terminal to SAE plug
    - SAE to SAE extension cord
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-22-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have this compressor it has a hardwired SAE plug, the wire is a much lighter gauge than my battery tender lead and it works perfectly with no modification.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

One can get 10gauge battery tender leads on Amazon.
    I've used them for years in case I needed to boost start my bikes.
    2016 RT-L , Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    There aren't any 12v compressors that run plug 'n play off a battery maintainer sae connector!

This is because sae connectors for the battery side have reverse polarity from the connectors for the load side.

Normally, the battery tender is feeding the battery and when used to plug in a load, it's the battery feeding the load. The recessed connector from the source should be the positive lead.

ANY 12v compressor will run off an SAE connector IF you first buy or make an adapter!!!

Not quite true. This one is designed specifically for use on motorcycles and plugs in directly to your battery tender lead. Have several of them on different bikes and several friends that use them. Manufacture also provides good support after sale and the unit works well if a bit slow due to its compact size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00388NUPI

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Not quite true. This one is designed specifically for use on motorcycles and plugs in directly to your battery tender lead. Have several of them on different bikes and several friends that use them. Manufacture also provides good support after sale and the unit works well if a bit slow due to its compact size.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00388NUPI
    Question:Can you use a battery tender connection/adapter whith this??
    Answer:I don't believe a battery tender will put out enough current to run this compressor.
    By Fred F. on February 13, 2020
    I have used this with my battery tender quick connect, i did have the bike idling but i did work
    By M. M. on October 19, 2022
    SMH Being it comes with a 66" battery tender cord I would sure hope so.

Fred, bless your heart. I don't know what to say to you bud. … see more
    By MeMyselfAndI on October 13, 2020
    yes...just confirm your polarity (neg/pos) before plugging it in the first time. The plug itself is compatible for sure.
    By Charles Newcomb on February 13, 2020
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Not quite so. It does have an SAE connector as one of the cord options, BUT that connects directly to the battery, not to an existing battery tender cord. It cannot plug directly into your battery maintainer connection because the polarity will be reversed.

What's in the box:
    - Dynaplug Micro Pro Inflator
    - Universal cig/BMW style power cord
    - Ballistic nylon dual compartment pouch
    - Battery clips to SAE plug
    - Ring terminal to SAE plug
    - SAE to SAE extension cord
    Pete, I think you overlooked the most important part for our use "- SAE to SAE extension cord". The unit itself has a SAE plug molded in so the various power options can hook up. You simply plug in the extension cord directly to the unit and the other end goes to the battery tender lead. The extension is more than long enuff to get to any tire on the bike.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Question:Can you use a battery tender connection/adapter whith this??
    Answer:I don't believe a battery tender will put out enough current to run this compressor.
    By Fred F. on February 13, 2020
    I have used this with my battery tender quick connect, i did have the bike idling but i did work
    By M. M. on October 19, 2022
    SMH Being it comes with a 66" battery tender cord I would sure hope so.

Fred, bless your heart. I don't know what to say to you bud. … see more
    By MeMyselfAndI on October 13, 2020
    yes...just confirm your polarity (neg/pos) before plugging it in the first time. The plug itself is compatible for sure.
    By Charles Newcomb on February 13, 2020
    There is no question here. I have personally verified it work. On multiple bikes and multiple compressor units. It works as shipped. if the battery tender leads are installed correctly for the tender to plug in normally.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There is no question here. I have personally verified it work. On multiple bikes and multiple compressor units. It works as shipped. if the battery tender leads are installed correctly for the tender to plug in normally.
    Absolutely. The battery tender leads that connect to the battery are the correct polarity to run the compressors that utilize SAE connectors.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    are there any air compressors that would plug into a battery tender lead.
    been coming up empty on my searches

thanks
    It is not an air compressor that connects to the battery but it portable I use the one from WORX the battery lasts a very long time

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've made my point; polarity of the connectors and gauge of wire are two issues to be aware of when using an SAE-to-battery wire designed for a (low-amperage) battery tender as a source of power for any load, including an air compressor.

Do what you want.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I've made my point; polarity of the connectors and gauge of wire are two issues to be aware of when using an SAE-to-battery wire designed for a (low-amperage) battery tender as a source of power for any load, including an air compressor.

Do what you want.
    Actually if its a simple DC compressor with no digital readouts, led's, electronic switches etc. it will work even if hooked up with reverse polarity. The amount of reduced output it would have would be dependent on the amount of timing advance built into the commutator and brush placement. The compressor part itself does not care which way it turns.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Actually if its a simple DC compressor with no digital readouts, led's, electronic switches etc. it will work even if hooked up with reverse polarity. The amount of reduced output it would have would be dependent on the amount of timing advance built into the commutator and brush placement. The compressor part itself does not care which way it turns.
    Thank you. I believe that is why some folks are able to claim success running off a sae lead designed for a battery maintainer.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should. I was trying to answer the OP's perfectly reasonable question, not start a debate.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-24-2022 at 07:57 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Pete, you've got things confused! As you said in your prior post the recessed terminal of the SAE pigtail from the battery is the positive terminal. But the Battery Tender is reversed. The exposed terminal of the BT is positive. It has to be that way because a charger pushes current back into the battery through the positive terminal so the charger has to have its + terminal plug into the the + terminal of the pigtail. The charger voltage is greater than the + voltage of the battery or it does not push current into the battery.

The SAE connector on a load device, such as a compressor, has to have the + input connect to the + output of the pigtail. Therefore, the + input of the compressor is exposed and plugs into the recessed terminal of the battery pigtail. So yes, the compressor above will work plugged into the battery tender pigtail.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

OK, I think I just got things cleared up in my mind. The OP asked if a compressor can be plugged into a battery tender lead. The answer is yes, if he is asking about plugging into the battery tender pigtail connected to a battery which most of us understand him to be asking. But if he is asking if the compressor can be plugged into the SAE pigtail lead from a battery tender, which seems to be what Pete is thinking, then the answer is no unless you use an adapter. In this case Pete is correct.

But the big question is, "Why would anyone want to plug a compressor into a battery tender?" Most battery tenders won't have the capacity to run a compressor, and the really smart ones won't operate if the load connected to it is anything other than a battery.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

20221030_223501.jpg

This is my experience and understanding of the difference.

I'm not saying I'm right. So, if there's something wrong with my observation or conclusion, I am open to having that pointed out to me.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 10-31-2022 at 11:23 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum