Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Default Looking for hand guard options

So I want to instal a Bark Buster style hand guard to my 2021 Spyder RT. Mainly looking for the aluminum bar type. The reason being, I have been know to ride in extreme cold, and wet weather. The bar's will allow me to run a Hippo hand cover. The bar is needed to help support the Hippo hand. So I'm not seeking approval or opinions as I know they work in hard rain and freezing cold. There are a lot of universal stuff out there, was hoping this wheel has already been invented.

Thanks in advance

Spyder Garage
    2013 RT Ltd , White with a wrap

Spyder Garage

OK, In case anyone is interested , I'll share what I did. Bark Buster's has a really nice single point bar that works perfect. All proper hardware is included. I did add velcro to the guards to support the Hippo Hands and drilled and tapped the bars for machine screws for the guards. Will miss everything when turning. I'm only going to use these when necessary, leaving the end caps on and removing the actual bar. Only one screw. Will only Carry them on long trips when adverse weather is a possibility. I used the Hippo Hands I already had, but smaller options are available, even from Bark Busters. Down side, they do obstruct visibility from the already lousy rear view mirrors, other wise, I'm happy

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/pro...-ends-black-2/

IMG_3003.jpg IMG_2990.jpg IMG_2995.jpg IMG_3004.jpg IMG_3005.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    OK, In case anyone is interested , I'll share what I did. Bark Buster's has a really nice single point bar that works perfect. All proper hardware is included. I did add velcro to the guards to support the Hippo Hands and drilled and tapped the bars for machine screws for the guards. Will miss everything when turning. I'm only going to use these when necessary, leaving the end caps on and removing the actual bar. Only one screw. Will only Carry them on long trips when adverse weather is a possibility. I used the Hippo Hands I already had, but smaller options are available, even from Bark Busters. Down side, they do obstruct visibility from the already lousy rear view mirrors, other wise, I'm happy

https://twistedthrottle.com/shop/pro...-ends-black-2/

IMG_3003.jpg IMG_2990.jpg IMG_2995.jpg IMG_3004.jpg IMG_3005.jpg
    That's what I did. I added mirrors higher up to fix the rear visibility issue.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    So I want to instal a Bark Buster style hand guard to my 2021 Spyder RT. Mainly looking for the aluminum bar type. The reason being, I have been know to ride in extreme cold, and wet weather. The bar's will allow me to run a Hippo hand cover. The bar is needed to help support the Hippo hand. So I'm not seeking approval or opinions as I know they work in hard rain and freezing cold. There are a lot of universal stuff out there, was hoping this wheel has already been invented.

Thanks in advance
    At one point I was looking at Hippo Hands and wrote to them asking what guard I need for the product. I sent them my make and model and they told me exactly what I needed. This would make sure everything worked together.
    Jim
    2017 F3-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I used Hippo Hands on my Goldwings and didn’t need any extra support. I tried to put them on my RT and couldn’t get them over the grip cluster. The Hippo Hands had their own support.
    Maybe I’ll get them down and see how to work with my F3.

CB28BDAF-A37F-48F8-8E8B-BEDE629B95D3.jpeg
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UtahPete -- whose mirrors did you add and where "higher up" did you mount them? Thanks.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I used Hippo Hands on my Goldwings and didn’t need any extra support. I tried to put them on my RT and couldn’t get them over the grip cluster. The Hippo Hands had their own support.
    Maybe I’ll get them down and see how to work with my F3.

CB28BDAF-A37F-48F8-8E8B-BEDE629B95D3.jpeg
    I had a pair of the original Hippo Hand like these, I remember them having some sort of metal frame work in them. Mine also required the mirrors being removed and back on thru a hole. I did sell them some 20 years ago as they no longer worked on the bikes I had. The new outfit is different, I did like the fleece the old one's had

Spyder Garage

These fit also. I have them from a previous bike and put them on my RT for the winter.
    https://www.amazon.com/SW-Motech-Bar.../dp/B08C5HPZH8
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    These fit also. I have them from a previous bike and put them on my RT for the winter.
    https://www.amazon.com/SW-Motech-Bar.../dp/B08C5HPZH8
    Interesting, this is the same kit I bought thru Twisted Throttle. These are made by Bark Buster. While searching on amazon, this never came up. So both are the same $$$ and free shipping, but Amazon might have been quicker to ship.

Spyder Garage

Hi Pjveetwin and RayJB,

I sourced and installed a set of Barkbuster, single point, bar-end mounted "Storm" handguards on my 2009 Spyder GS about 5 years ago or so. Was an easy install and provided a decent protection for my hands from the cold windblast on the GS...as it had MUCH less wind protection for the hands than my 2021 RTL, and no heated grips either. It looks like I installed the same Barkbuster kit as shown in the Amazon link.

The Barkbuster stuff is very high quality and NOT made in POC, but rather Australia if I remember correctly. I did cut back the length of the mounted end of the curved aluminum spine approximately1/2 inch and redrilled/retapped a new hole to mount it on the bar end brackets. I did this to give better clearance for the handguard to the Madstad adjustable windshield I installed as the guard would hit the windshield at full turn and restricted the turning radius. Between the Madstad windscreen and the Barkbuster Storm handguards, the 2009 GS had much better wind and cold weather protection than stock...which was pretty lacking as delivered.

Do you have any issues with the Barkbuster guard hitting the dash area or restricting the amount of steering lock to turn on your 2021RT? (I did on the GS and had to shorten the aluminum spine to give an extras half inch of clearance to the windshield)

How about interfering with the stock RT mirrors visibility? Which additional mirrors did you add to fix this? LA Monster has some mounts and options for bar mounted mirrors which look good.

Also, I had some obstruction to the rear visbility from the stock mirrors on the GS...but this was fixed with carefully positioning of the Barkbusters and later, with the "Up and Out". mirror extenders.

All in all the addition of the Barkbuster Storm handguards and mounting system to the GS was VERY worthwhile and the product is of very high quality. I may consider this for the 2021 RTL as well.

Thanks,
    Rod