Very Active Member Martin Slovakia's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Honest review on Damper Upgrade and All you need to know

Hi guys, ever since my installation video, I have received lot of questions on this damper upgrade.
    How good it is, Is it worth?
    What is better, this or Swaybar etc.. etc..
    so what about this? Honest video and all info that should help ya?

Always you can find more info directly on my vlog CLICK HERE
    https://www.martinthevlogger.com/pos...or-canam-ryker

Spyder Garage

Good video. Have to agree with the link on the sway bar. I replaced mine due to I didn't like the plastic and to me it could fail. JMT. Might have to look into the damper.
    David

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Good video. Have to agree with the link on the sway bar. I replaced mine due to I didn't like the plastic and to me it could fail. JMT. Might have to look into the damper.
    David
    damper is very good solution... but i have said it many times in the video

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Cool video. Was interesting to learn more about the origins of YSS. Enjoyed your levity about ELKA vs Wilburs, and even how you compared YSS to Ohlins.

Am curious about the YSS damper, watching you cycle the damper, it appeared equal force left and right of center to dampen movement away from center. Does the damper have less damping back to center? Also does the damper have more adjustability than the low shaft speed clicker? Curious if it has a high speed set of circuits to prevent damage to the damper or chassis components?
    yes the damper has same force when you move it to center and away from center, its equal.
    no, the damper you can adjust only with click system, but I have received few tips more about how to make it less stiff, so I will be able to use the whole range of 30 clicks not just half.. so i will be experimenting over winter time.. its more about positioning the brackets.

Spyder Garage

Curious to learn more about "the damper you can adjust only with click system, but I have received few tips more about how to make it less stiff, so I will be able to use the whole range of 30 clicks not just half.. so i will be experimenting over winter time.. its more about positioning the brackets.". I feel an update video coming sometime after winter
    Ryker Rally 2022 - customized into a very special one of a kind touring edition .
    H&R swaybar + end links - F4 16" windshield - warning lights - scuff plate - jockey shifter - Commander floorboards - - Big Eye mirrors - BLR overflow - Spyderextras driver backrest - custom build racks - MoskoMoto backcountry panniers & Givi topcase

Spyder Garage

Good review. I shared the YouTube link on a Ryker FB page I follow. Thanks.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I just installed a damper and I must say that it really is a big improvement. Highly recommended.
    RykerUSA
    2022 Ryker Rally

Spyder Garage

Another great informational video Martin. Thank you sir!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

This is something I want to put on the wife's bike but Martin said he was working on tweaking the original a bit to accommodate all 30 clicks, so I'm going to wait until he has that ready.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    Good review. I shared the YouTube link on a Ryker FB page I follow. Thanks.
    thank you Sir

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    This is something I want to put on the wife's bike but Martin said he was working on tweaking the original a bit to accommodate all 30 clicks, so I'm going to wait until he has that ready.
    i will also have turbo set coming my way shortly. I mean turbo set mounting kit for damper for RYKER and i dont have turbo.. its different way of possitioning so I want to give it a try as well.
    Also i will play around the brackets to see what its the sweet spot
    have few ideas already

Spyder Garage

... about time, eh ... <G>

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1607917

Granted, different application, as the Ural setup damps vibration between the bike and sidecar, which can get pretty hairy.

Couple points worth mentioning:

- Any damper system uses increased resistance both ways on the linkage to reduce damping. Hard part is for the backyard mechanic to match the shock used to the bike. My only concern with Martin's setup is that the damper's range seems a bit off if "normal" driving is only one or two clicks - wonder if there's any other shocks available that would move the normal setting more towards the middle of the range, as most units are designed to perform best there. I see Martin's already working on that ...

Same concept applies to two wheelers as well - seems to me newer beemers and trumpets have a damping shock built into the head. Older bikes mostly used an adjustable spinner to tighten up the bearings on the steering head to accomplish the same thing. Instead of a shock, those worked by increasing friction. I always preferred my old Bonnevilles tight, and went thru a lot of friction pads. The shock is a one and done thing when done right. Main thing is to make sure you've got good clearance on any moving parts at both ends of travel.

I'm thinking the adjustable feature would be a BIG plus for me, as I have a "parkinsons twitch" on my left arm that can get pretty noticeable. Increasing the damping should help a lot there. I'd also expect an extra notch or two up would make for a smoother ride if you're hitting a lot of washboard on the back roads.

PS - "tank slapping" can be a serious issue on un-damped bikes ... I hate that when that happens! Not sure if that's an issue with the Ryker ...
    Half a million miles, and I ain't dead yet.

See my album at https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...p?albumid=5190