Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Saw this FS on Ebay

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't it have a 'shoulder' to stop the belt running off the cog on the inside edge too??

We've seen a couple here on the Forum where the lip that should be on BOTH sides to ensure the belt stays on the cog's teeth has come off one side, and that sprocket looks like another that has only one side left!! So AFAICS, it's not complete - there should be another raised lip fitted to the edge where all the bare teeth edges are showing rusty!

I wonder how many more are having THAT particular failure?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Shouldn't it have a 'shoulder' to stop the belt running off the cog on the inside edge too??

We've seen a couple here on the Forum where the lip that should be on BOTH sides to ensure the belt stays on the cog's teeth has come off one side, and that sprocket looks like another that has only one side left!! So AFAICS, it's not complete - there should be another raised lip fitted to the edge where all the bare teeth edges are showing rusty!

I wonder how many more are having THAT particular failure?!
    I don't need one, I have a 14 RTS and all is good. Just posted it in case someone needs one, and I think there are a few of them. My 14 front sprocket has a raised shoulder on the outside and none on the inside. My rear sprocket has a raised shoulder on the inside and none on the outside. If I owned one of the affected 1330s and had a sprocket failure and had to wait until spring or summer of next year to receive a warranty replacement, I would be unspeakably PI$$ED!

Spyder Garage

BUYER BEWARE!!!

This sprocket is SHOT! It's missing one of the shoulders as mentioned by Peter. Evident by the rust and even the shards of metal on the teeth at the top where the shoulder use to be connected. The seller is whack if he thinks this is a good sprocket and trying to sell it for the $99 asking price. Anyone that buys this is buying trouble and throwing their money away.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Why purchase a sprocket that is already bad

Some people will try to sell anything to the un-informed and then laugh about it.

Myself, I couldn't sleep at night by taking advantage of someone like that. I guess that's why I'm not in politics or rich.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    BUYER BEWARE!!!

This sprocket is SHOT! It's missing one of the shoulders as mentioned by Peter. Evident by the rust and even the shards of metal on the teeth at the top where the shoulder use to be connected. The seller is whack if he thinks this is a good sprocket and trying to sell it for the $99 asking price. Anyone that buys this is buying trouble and throwing their money away.
    Any idea how or why an inside shoulder would come off? Just wondering.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Any idea how or why an inside shoulder would come off? Just wondering.
    Hard to say for sure why on a given bike but I have speculations. I've seen 2-3 posts either on here (SpyderLovers) or FB about sprockets missing the shoulder. The most likely/plausible reason I can speculate is that the belt alignment was significantly off causing excessive wear/push against the shoulder.

My wife had rear wheel bearings fail at speed which resulted in a major shift of the rear tire and the belt almost fell off the rear pulley. Ate up the belt guard and she actually heard the "strange noise" before noticing by feel the issue. While this didn't cause any shoulder issues to her sprocket - I could certainly see where it could.

The eBay listing in question strikes me as a "parting out a wrecked bike" scenario. Not certain that is the case but have that vibe without digging deeper. If that's the case - it's quite likely it was jarred heavily in wreck causing it to fail. Someone who doesn't know anything about hte Spyders - buying a used wrecked bike to part out and make money on - could in theory pull the front sprocket - seeing there's a front sprocket issue out there - and think they can make some money off the the part without knowing it's damaged. <----But then that's me trying to give people the benefit of the doubt - could also know they are selling junk and just trying to scam folks. Who knows.

EDIT: Oh yeah - if you click on the dude's name - you see he's selling all sorts of "parts" off of the same year/model bike - meaning he's bought a wreck and is parting it out.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Funny thing is it says one was already sold. So were both of them missing the flange? He’s a parter for sure!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hard to say for sure why on a given bike but I have speculations. I've seen 2-3 posts either on here (SpyderLovers) or FB about sprockets missing the shoulder. The most likely/plausible reason I can speculate is that the belt alignment was significantly off causing excessive wear/push against the shoulder.
    Why do you suppose my OEM front sprocket would not have a raised shoulder on the inside? I'm guess it's been that way since 2014 and for over 50k miles. I assume it was that way when I bought it but didn't notice it until I installed a belt dampener a couple of years ago. How would it have come off without causing damage?

Spyder Garage

BUYER BEWARE!!!

Not needing that part, but are you aware that not all versions had double flanges on them? As 2Dogs mentioned, and like his, our Spyder has an inner flange on the rear, and only outer flange on the front.

Properly aligned belt will not touch either flange when ridden.

Best part about seeing that used 2021 front sprocket, no wear and loaded with Kluberpaste.
    Not that Kluberpaste last very long, still it was well lubricated splines when built.

BRP needs to toss in the towel and change the maintenance criteria to a scheduled remove, inspect, relube vs all this recall stuff.

Why do you suppose my OEM front sprocket would not have a raised shoulder on the inside? I'm guess it's been that way since 2014 and for over 50k miles. I assume it was that way when I bought it but didn't notice it until I installed a belt dampener a couple of years ago. How would it have come off without causing damage?
    Back when they had it correct, prior to failed splines and recalls, that is how oem was. Rear had inner flange, front had outer flange only. Properly tracking belt would not touch either flange, and was very detailed in the manuals.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2022 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Merged multi posts moments apart, they just make thread confusing to read...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wmoater View Post
    Funny thing is it says one was already sold. So were both of them missing the flange? He’s a parter for sure!
    Great catch - I totally missed that he already sold 1. Wow!

You say 2014 - just to clarify - is it the RT with the 1330 or a RS/ST with the 998? Is your VIN in the recall? I know the sprocket was different on the 998 motor setups and I know that early 2014 models are not in the recall which would indicate they had a different sprocket than all the rest - In all my research and working on customer bikes - I've never seen a 2015 or newer without the inner and out shoulder - and Ive only seen 2 part numbers from Canam for those models - the old black one (double shoulder) and the new white (double shoulder).

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not needing that part, but are you aware that not all versions had double flanges on them? As 2Dogs mentioned, and like his, our Spyder has an inner flange on the rear, and only outer flange on the front.

Properly aligned belt will not touch either flange when ridden.
    I learn something new all the time - but as mentioned just above - I've only ever seen the 2 different part numbers black old and white new - both double flanged - for the 1330 setups. Is yours a 2014 with the 1330? Again, maybe something to do with why those aren't included in the recall. Hmmm.....things to ponder and research further.
    Last edited by Jdr00ejr; 10-20-2022 at 11:00 AM. Reason: My reply was inside the quote...
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, the single flanged 2014 sprocket is on 2014 1330 powered RT series, and no, they are not included in the recall.

Spyder Garage

Yes, the single flanged 2014 sprocket is on 2014 1330 powered RT series, and no, they are not included in the recall.
    Makes sense - and FWIW, the eBay list says 2021 - thus my original post/stance of Buyer Beware.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Makes sense - and FWIW, the eBay list says 2021 - thus my original post/stance of Buyer Beware.
    Not needed on earlier models with proper belt tracking, should be no need on later models. Would speculate improper belt alignment by owners or dealer techs initiated the double flanges.

Seems the pulley width of the tooth surface should be the same for single or double flanged.

As we have seen from topics and posts here, when that inner flange comes off, even worse things happen. A simple case guard would keep it simple while protecting the Gearbox Position Sensor.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting conversation going on here. It would be my guess that a sprocket with an inner and outer flange would be cast all in one component. IE; not a separate pressed on part. Shortly after I took possession of my ride a very noticeable burning rubber smell was evident. I noticed the belt was rubbing the inner flange on my rear sprocket and I returned it to the dealer's service department. I was told that was normal. Yea right, that's BS! Something during assembly wasn't correct. I walked right into the shop and spoke with the BRP tech (which was a BIG NO NO). He took matters into his hands and corrected the problem. The rear tire was out of alignment. The tech told me the belt should not ride the flange on either sprocket and it should not run off the sprocket on the non flanged side. Anywhere in the middle is good because the belt had a tendency to walk back and forth. When Squared Away aligned my spyder I was once again told the same thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It would be my guess that a sprocket with an inner and outer flange would be cast all in one component. IE; not a separate pressed on part.
    Well, I would say that your guess would be wrong. I offer as evidence, my post in this thread:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...93#post1645693

Look for post #252 or #270 if it does not show right away.

Last edited by Steve W.; 10-20-2022 at 02:35 PM.
    HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

There is nothing wrong with the flange on that pulley. Though there is no way it's off a 2021 Spyder of any model. I am not sure when BRP switched from the single (outside) flange to the dual flange. Because now all of the parts fiche show the dual flange which obviously supersedes the original pulleys. But it was long before 2021. Previously, as mentioned already, all of the pulleys were single flange. A correctly engineered and aligned machine does not need a flange on both sides. Which begs the question, why did they go to a dual flange? The rear pulley remains a single flange.

It's not the flange or even the teeth that are so much concerning about a used Spyder pully. It's the splines. Why would you buy a used component when even the new ones are problematic? There is no way to inspect those splines for tolerance. Not a good idea on this one.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
    Well, I would say that your guess would be wrong. I offer as evidence, my post in this thread:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...93#post1645693

Look for post #252 or #270 if it does not show right away.

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the flange on that pulley. Though there is no way it's off a 2021 Spyder of any model. I am not sure when BRP switched from the single (outside) flange to the dual flange. Because now all of the parts fiche show the dual flange which obviously supersedes the original pulleys. But it was long before 2021. Previously, as mentioned already, all of the pulleys were single flange. A correctly engineered and aligned machine does not need a flange on both sides. Which begs the question, why did they go to a dual flange? The rear pulley remains a single flange.

It's not the flange or even the teeth that are so much concerning about a used Spyder pully. It's the splines. Why would you buy a used component when even the new ones are problematic? There is no way to inspect those splines for tolerance. Not a good idea on this one.
    BajaRon poses a very good question. I'm not sure anyone on this site has a good answer.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-21-2022 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

BajaRon poses a very good question. I'm not sure anyone on this site has a good answer.
    Gotta agree with that!

Buut, just for fits & giggles, I checked the linked ad & watched the vid again (a few times ) - that's the vid supposedly showing it in good running order.... not sure how showing a video clearly displaying a wrecked & incomplete bike with the tach showing Zero Revs; the gear selector indicator showing 3; a 'not moving' rear wheel; & the Temp indicator showing -51°F could actually mean that you can "see the bike in good running condition before it was disassembled".... Unless maybe we're supposed to think that the noise in the backgound is the engine running?!? But if that's the case, then I'd hafta guess that they've never heard a run-away sewing machine OR a 1330 Spyder motor running!

I reckon I'd steer clear of this mob, at least unless I was TRULY desperate with absolutely NO other options!! But I guess that's just me - you can do whatever you like to your Spyder/with your $$
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Still listed, but now that used front sprocket is $5000
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/31366549614...Cclp%3A2351460

Spyder Garage

BajaRon asks: why did they go to a dual flange?

He musta forgot that there were cases early on where the belt was so far out of alignment that it cut into the transmission case. 'Correctly' being the operative word.
    Last edited by Freddy; 11-03-2022 at 07:08 AM.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Still listed, but now that used front sprocket is $5000
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/31366549614...Cclp%3A2351460
    I guess that's one way of ensuring that no-one in their right mind buys something that might not be complete/un-broken?!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I guess that's one way of ensuring that no-one in their right mind buys something that might not be complete/un-broken?!
    Then why would a person even list the item and waste their time.
    Would hedge my bet that this guy selling the front pulley knows the market and knows the audience. He will not get his price of $5000, but he will get folks contacting him with reasonable offers. If BRP is not able to deliver, folks will buy elsewhere. This pulley is a fine and adequate replacement vs not riding on account of a failed pulley and the manufacturers inability to supply parts.

For grins, just checked the EBay listing, that pulley apparently sold since the seller has removed the listing and ended it as no longer available.
    Last edited by PMK; 11-09-2022 at 04:29 AM.