Spyder Garage

Default Does a Stock 2015 RTS have a Sway Bar

Sway Bar Pic.jpg

The above picture came from Can-Am Parts House (graciously provided by RayBJ in a different thread). Why I ask the question since Can-Am Parts House says they are "Not available for this vehicle"

See>> https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...spension-front

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Go back to the parts. P/N 44 is the sway bar. There are 2 different pictures. There could be a error. The 2014 RTS shows the same p/n as the 2015 RT.
    Last edited by Warlock; 10-18-2022 at 10:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Looks like the labels are wrong. #44 and #58 are each sway bars not bushings.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All the Spyders have sway bars as far as I know. I've never heard anything to indicate otherwise.

Look underneath yours to verify.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just look for the heim links.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2022 at 03:01 AM. Reason: hem - heim ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Go back to the parts. P/N 44 is the sway bar. There are 2 different pictures. There could be a error. The 2014 RTS shows the same p/n as the 2015 RT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Looks like the labels are wrong. #44 and #58 are each sway bars not bushings.
    Thanks didn't think it was right. Better asked than not.

Willie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2022 at 03:03 AM.
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

All Spyders/Rykers have a sway bar from the factory. If you look at that parts fische posted, you'll see the bushings and shock units in that segment are also not available. Which simply means those parts have been superseded. It would be nice if that information was also provided.

BRP changes suppliers and this generates a new part number. Even if the part itself is identical. Which is many times the case.

The sway bar for the Spyder has not changed since it was redesigned in 2013. The bushings, however, are not as good as they used to be. We have been finding ovaled out bushings on the 2020+ machines. Some with very low miles on them. Injection molded bushings don't hold up well as a rule. But the earlier ones seemed to do fairly well. Not sure what BRP changed. But they need to go back to what they were doing before..
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    But they need to go back to what they were doing before.
    Same with the front sprocket.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Same with the front sprocket.
    I know what you mean. But there are some things that have changed which have added to the problem.

1- Ever heavier machines
    2- More torque from the 1330 engine.

I'm not an engineer and it's just my opinion. But I think the only real solution is more spline to sprocket connection surface area. Which means a different output shaft as well as sprocket. Changing the sprocket for this would be relatively simple. Changing the output shaft is another matter. It would either need to be a larger diameter (which would get my vote). Or, have a longer splined portion. Neither of which are going to be a fix that thrills BRP. Personally. I don't see how they are going to get this done with the current configuration. This may be why BRP has let the problem go so long. And why it's taking them so long to come up with a solution. But they are smarter than I am. So we should still hope for the best.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I know what you mean. But there are some things that have changed which have added to the problem.

1- Ever heavier machines
    2- More torque from the 1330 engine.

I'm not an engineer and it's just my opinion. But I think the only real solution is more spline to sprocket connection surface area. Which means a different output shaft as well as sprocket. Changing the sprocket for this would be relatively simple. Changing the output shaft is another matter. It would either need to be a larger diameter (which would get my vote). Or, have a longer splined portion. Neither of which are going to be a fix that thrills BRP. Personally. I don't see how they are going to get this done with the current configuration. This may be why BRP has let the problem go so long. And why it's taking them so long to come up with a solution. But they are smarter than I am. So we should still hope for the best.
    Essentially BRP has found themselves trying to put 6 pounds in a 5 pound bag and it's not working out too well for them. I recently did the same to myself when I installed stage II. Although I have it at a moment's notice, I don't use it all that often. I totally agree with your take on the situation and I am sure BRP sees it that way too. But how the bean counters approach the issue can be totally different. It appears the failing sprockets were not cast containing the same materials as the previous sprockets. But, that's just MHO.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 10-20-2022 at 10:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

My 15 RTS came stock with a sway bar. I found it too squishy, so it now has Baja Ron's setup. Love the setup. Oh, and I usually ride my Spyder as hard as I rode my Beemers.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Essentially BRP has found themselves trying to put 6 pounds in a 5 pound bag and it's not working out too well for them. I recently did the same to myself when I installed stage II. Although I have it at a moment's notice, I don't use it all that often. I totally agree with your take on the situation and I am sure BRP sees it that way too. But how the bean counters approach the issue can be totally different. It appears the failing sprockets were not cast containing the same materials as the previous sprockets. But, that's just MHO.
    I think we hijacked the thread... My sincere apologies! You can find me sitting quietly in the corner... Well. maybe not quietly...
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-20-2022 at 03:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Sway Bar Pic.jpg

The above picture came from Can-Am Parts House (graciously provided by RayBJ in a different thread). Why I ask the question since Can-Am Parts House says they are "Not available for this vehicle"

See>> https://www.canampartshouse.com/oemp...spension-front

Willie
    All Spyders have a sway bar.
    Many have found improved handling by upgrading to a more heavy-duty bar, one of the best is supplied by BajaRon.
    Check out the links that connect the bar to the body. If they are plastic, chances are you have the OEM bar.
    If they are metal. you most likely have an upgraded sway bar.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey