Spyder Garage

Question Will a Stock F3-S work for 2-Up Riding? (on a fixed income)

Does anyone ride a (2015) F3-S with stock suspension two-up?
    I know the Spyder materials say it's best for a single rider. I also know that there are plenty of people (with potentially more disposable income than me) saying you must upgrade all shocks and get a sway bar for it to handle right. But I'm sure there are people here who have not had a problem riding 2-up on stock suspension (or at least until an upgrade can be afforded). I just dont want to go in with a certain level of expectation and it not perform properly, and I feel like I wasted my money, or that I immediately need to spend more than my budget to make it ridable. I'll be honest, $2100 in aftermarket parts right out the gate (not including a passenger backrest), is just not in the budget for me right now.
    FYI: combined weight will be around 400lbs - 2-up riding will be mostly flat roads along the coast or "bar hopping" around town. Some highway and some back roads exploring. At most 2x/week. The rest of the time will be solo riding, putzing back and forth to work, errands, etc.
    All advice/feedback is appreciated.
    2015 F3-S SM6 , Orange/Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2 up shock I'll give you, you pay shipping. PM me your address and I'll send you a quote. Nothing wrong with it I up graded to a Elka.

Spyder Garage

I have the same bike and would ride 2 up if I needed/wanted to in stock form. I have ridden bikes most of my life and have never changed the suspension for riding 2 up except maybe increasing the rear shock preload on 2 wheelers only if the existing setting gave a problem. My wife and I rode many trips on a Harley CSC trike conversion, and I never even thought about the suspension. Ride it and have fun.

Spyder Garage

Zootiebrew, I rode one up on my 2016 F3-L, which has a BRP two-up shock. At 300lbs, I bottomed out on a regular basis, and upgraded to a third party aftermarket rear shock. The ‘15 F3-s does not even have the two-up shock. BUT…….Everyone is different. Try it and see how you go, and if it bottoms frequently, replace the rear shock with an aftermarket (I personally would not suggest the BRP two-up for you at 400lbs combined, given my experience with it. You can get a rear shock for under a grand.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I weigh 220# and bought a two up shock at the time of purchase. I ride 100% solo. My 90 mile ride home from the dealer on the stock shock verified my correct decision. I have since upgraded to a Wilber rear shock. You WILL want the two up shock.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Yup, no issues riding 2up on occasion. Just be sure to slow down over humps & bumps - you will bottom out on the stock shock & it will grab your attention......

Spyder Garage

My wife and I ride (her on occasion) and our combined weight is 330lb or so. No issues with bottoming out but if she rode more often, I would consider a Race Tech shock or Elkas.
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

I'm 220lbs, bags and trunk mounted on my 2015 F3S - I upgraded to the Occasional 2-Up Shock and carry a 100-120lb passenger from time to time with no issues.

I have some friends who were riding a 2020 F3 Base (same rear shock) and their combined weight most definitely exceeded 400lbs and possibly exceeded 500lbs - they were riding stock until I convinced them to at least upgrade to the Occasional 2-Up Shock as they were bottoming out Stock from time to time. They were extremely happy with the 2-Up Shock.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderman2018 View Post
    Yup, no issues riding 2up on occasion. Just be sure to slow down over humps & bumps - you will bottom out on the stock shock & it will grab your attention......
    If you tell us which model you are riding, your comment will have much more relevance, Spyderman.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a 2017 F3S, I recently installed a two up shock. My 2 cents: if you stay under 400 lbs or so and take it easy over bumps and dips the stock shock will do and you save a few bucks. That said, the two up shock provides a more controlled ride and better cornering. I had the chance to do the same 60 miles or so ride in the same day, two up, with the stock shock and the two up shock. The two up shock was the winner. Again, just my observation.

Spyder Garage

I have rode 2 up with a lot less than that............. not talking to the Dairy Queen either. 1,500 to 2,000 mile runs.

You can't pack everything you want on a motorcycle, but you can pack everything you need.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Same model as original poster, but different year. That's the ONLY reason I chimed in.......

Spyder Garage

I have an F3-S I upgraded with the Fox Adjustable Shocks. I ride with a passenger about 75% of the time & haven't had an issue. They're a lot better than the stock shock's; it is pricey at $650 but worth it if you're going to be riding with a passenger.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 11-24-2022 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Caps & alot - a lot ;-)

Spyder Garage

2019 F3 S , only mods were a backrest and windshield . I'm 210 and the girlfriend is 100 . rides and handles great with stock shocks .
    2019 F3 S
    2019 f3-s , Blue

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Stock 2020 F3 SE6 - nope... every time the wife rides with me we bottom out on the stock shocks.

Combined weight is less than 400 lbs.

She's not riding with me again until I can get the shocks replaced besides bottoming out she doesn't enjoy the ride.

She says it's too jerky..I think she may be referring to the driver and not the shock's.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black