Threaded View

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT SM5 - Clutch not working after oil change - any ideas?

I had been riding my 2013 Spyder RT SM5 for several months with no problems at all. Then, rather than waiting 2 months for the local Can Am dealer to get to it, I changed the oil myself. I followed the service guidelines explicitly except for the oil. I installed a new OEM oil filter, but opted for an oil from O'Reilly's formulated specifically for motorcycles with wet clutches rather than the XPS brand suggested by BRP. After warming the Spyder up to confirm the oil level I attempted to do a test ride, however; the clutch did not operate properly. It appeared to not be disengaging the engine and it was almost impossible to shift into gear. When I did get it into first gear it killed the engine. My first thought was the oil since that was the only variable from a Spyder with no shifting problems. So I ordered a complete new XPS oil change kit from the Can Am store, drained the oil and new filter I had just installed, and went through the oil change process again with the XPS oil. Unfortunately, I encountered the same shifting problem. The engine runs fine, but when I shift into a gear it kills the engine, like shifting from a dead stop with no clutch activation at all. My fear is the clutch is now toast, but I can't imagine using a highly regarded oil rather than the XPS brand would create such a problem, especially since I didn't even ride the bike after the oil change. The only other shifting related issue I can think of is when removing the fairing I had to depress the shift pedal a couple of times (with the engine off of course) to access a bolt. I presented this conundrum to the dealership service department in Louisville, TN where the Spyder came from, as well as the local dealer. Neither had a clue as to what the problem may be. I thought I would take a shot on the forum to see if anyone else might have a valid suggestion prior to hauling it off to a very expensive service visit. By the way, I have been riding since I was 15 and have eight motorcycles. I have restored and/or customized all of them except this Spyder so I do know a little bit about wrench turning, but this Spyder is quite a different beast. Any help would be vastly appreciated.
    Thanks much!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-19-2022 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question - & fixed the SE5/SM5 thing ;-)