Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Before I buy a 2nd phone… could I just use it for BRP Connect functions?

I have a handlebar mount for my phone because I monitor my blood sugar on the display (I’m a long term diabetic). This means I can’t use BRP Connect since it controls the display. I can still use my phone for phone calls and music via Bluetooth, but none of the BRP Connect features.

If I had a 2nd phone with no phone service, could I use it just for BRP Connect functions like GPS mapping and the like? I could connect it to my main phone via Bluetooth if needed.

Thoughts?
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Sorry -How would you get GPS with no service? Maybe stand alone GPS or like others have & not connect what all functions do or do not cooperate.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

you can use google maps offline ( it's a PITA).
    BRP connect is useless (IMO)
    buy a gps YOU can afford.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Sorry -How would you get GPS with no service? Maybe stand alone GPS or like others have & not connect what all functions do or do not cooperate.
    Using Sygic does not require phone service, Bfromia. It works off satellite signal. Of course, you would not be able to get weather or traffic inputs which DO require phone service.

I actually tried this with an old iPhone I had, OverHill. It does work, but it is limited as I mentioned above (and there are a couple of other “gotchas”). I also find BRP Go unreliable. It is one of those apps that is “nearly” there, but not quite, so it can frustrate the crap out of you. If you have to buy a cheap phone to try it, I would advise against it. You would be better off looking at buying Sygic for your current phone and run your GPS function from there…..better screen, too.

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 10-18-2022 at 01:03 AM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Put a blank SIM in the phone for your sugar monitor. Use another phone for everything else. Many don't like BRP Connect, so check it out before commiting.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    I have a handlebar mount for my phone because I monitor my blood sugar on the display (I’m a long term diabetic). This means I can’t use BRP Connect since it controls the display. I can still use my phone for phone calls and music via Bluetooth, but none of the BRP Connect features.

If I had a 2nd phone with no phone service, could I use it just for BRP Connect functions like GPS mapping and the like? I could connect it to my main phone via Bluetooth if needed.

Thoughts?
    Get a GPS!

I really wanted to use BRP connect. I had a second phone and could semi permanently store it in the glove box. I just couldn't get it to work effectively, and I am a technology person!

Connection to the bike was terrible (I often had to take the phone out and re-establish it), Sygic (and other) maps were terrible on the BRB screen. I ended up with a Garmin Zumo XT and love it.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Many don't see post titles, just thread titles! So instead of putting a comment in the post title field, if you want everybody to see it, include it in the post text. ;-)
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Spyder Garage

You could get a cheap phone and use a pay as you go plan.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YES you can as all smartphones since the iPhone 3G (2008) have cell, WiFi AND GPS antennas. So the “Offline” GPS apps (Sygic & Genius Maps) work without WiFi or Cell. The only need for cell service is to get traffic and streaming music. You can turn on the hotspot on the active cell phone and connect the none cell to it if you need traffic.

It really is amazing how so many don’t know what smartphones can do.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    YES you can as all smartphones since the iPhone 3G (2008) have cell, WiFi AND GPS antennas. So the “Offline” GPS apps (Sygic & Genius Maps) work without WiFi or Cell. The only need for cell service is to get traffic and streaming music. You can turn on the hotspot on the active cell phone and connect the none cell to it if you need traffic.

It really is amazing how so many don’t know what smartphones can do.

Yes, use the main phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect (also called tethering) the 2nd phone to it via WiFi. You will now have internet service on both phones. Check your cell phone Data Plan because some carriers have a bandwidth limit on tethering, if you exceed it they may charge you for the extra bandwidth usage.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Yes, use the main phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect (also called tethering) the 2nd phone to it via WiFi. You will now have internet service on both phones. Check your cell phone Data Plan because some carriers have a bandwidth limit on tethering, if you exceed it they may charge you for the extra bandwidth usage.
    Can you tether the 2nd phone to your main mobile while BRP Go has the 2nd phone’s function locked and under its sole control, YIRYDE ? I didn’t believe that was possible?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Can you tether the 2nd phone to your main mobile while BRP Go has the 2nd phone’s function locked and under its sole control, YIRYDE ? I didn’t believe that was possible?

Pete
    Pete,

You have me thinking about this differently now, I believe it's possible since you will tether the 2nd phone to the main phone via WiFi, then connect the 2nd phone to BRP Connect via Bluetooth.

I will have to try this when my new phone arrives.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-26-2022 at 07:11 PM. Reason: know - now ;-)
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YIRYDE View Post
    Pete,

You have me thinking about this differently now, I believe it's possible since you will tether the 2nd phone to the main phone via WiFi, then connect the 2nd phone to BRP Connect via Bluetooth.

I will have to try this when my new phone arrives.
    It will be interesting to know, YI. I think you might be right
    One of my issues with BRP Go is how it ties itself in a knot when anything it doesn’t expect occurs, and you have to shut everything down and restart it. Not that I have really been trying anything special with BRP Go since I installed my Zumo XT, as it does everything I need. I’ll probably have another look at Go in a year or two.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

If you do decide to use a 2nd phone, consider a rugged model off amazon. They come with much larger batteries and are considerably cheaper.
    2020 Spyder RTL - Blue
    2018 Spyder ST Limited , Asphalt Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lstayner View Post
    If you do decide to use a 2nd phone, consider a rugged model off amazon. They come with much larger batteries and are considerably cheaper.
    Can you still charge them through the glove box usb though, Istayner? It struggles with enough output to charge anything larger than a stock phone.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.