Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Question 2020 RT - front seat won't stay raised - any solutions?

Recent problem. 2 year old bike, seat has always stayed up for filling with gas, etc. Now it flops straight down.

There is no air lift and I'm not sure what mechanism is meant to hold the seat in the raised position.

Thoughts? Solutions? I can live with this minor issue but I find it very annoying.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I'm waiting for mine to die. When it does, it will be removed and replaced with a small wood dowel (stored under the seat) to prop it open. I currently use the dowel for things like adding air to the suspension, since the gas cylinder doesn't hold the seat far enough open. The only reason I don't remove it right now is having to remove the side plastic. If the plastic comes off for another reason the gas strut is gone...
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2020 RTL. I have to lift seat, remove gas cap and position so the seat does lock down again.
    Having the same problem with the trunk lid too. The lock pin has left a nasty bruise on the back of my wife's hand and mine. I have seen posts about replacing the pistons but I don't know how to access the one for the trunk.
    2020 Spyder RTL Chalk/Black
    2020 RTL , Chalk / Black

Spyder Garage

Bungee cord?

Sometimes the simplest solutions work best.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gwolf View Post
    Bungee cord?

Sometimes the simplest solutions work best.
    I'm not from Missouri, But you will have to "Show Me", what you hook the bungee cord too! I don't have a palm tree handy. Maybe your F-3 is built different than my RTL........Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knizar View Post
    I'm not from Missouri, But you will have to "Show Me", what you hook the bungee cord too! I don't have a palm tree handy. Maybe your F-3 is built different than my RTL........Bill
    It was a question. I am not sure what it could hook to. Would have to get one in my shop to work it out. My seat is bolted down. Fuel cap is in front of the seat.
    I worked in a machine shop for many years working out solutions to strange problems and fabricating parts to make things work that did not work before. There is always a way to solve just about any problem. The bungee cord was only a suggestion.
    2019 F3-S , Black & Silver

Spyder Garage

Please look under “Seat Strut” in the search bar. Other solutions will tell you about using a four inch spring to go down over worn strut, all you have to do is remove upper screw at top of the strut, slide the spring down into place. Hold down spring and reattach the strut! Great fix for about three dollars.
    2021 Spyder RT-L - Asphalt Grey
    • Vredestein tires all around
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster tire balancing rings/front
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • Lamonster belt tensioner
    • K and N air filter
    • Rear cowl - in place when you remove rear box

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

08-23-2022, 06:37 AM#13
    Very Active Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spyder Garage
    I went on amazon and bought cabinet shocks and added a second one on the other side of the seat. I have a sheepskin cover and needed the extra lift. They are the 9 lb shocks.40N/9 lb 6 inch Length Gas... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09W35L7BP...rehttp://40N/9 lb 6 inch Length Gas......p_mob_ap_share
    Last edited by Joel The Biker; 08-23-2022 at 06:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ButterSmooth View Post
    I'm waiting for mine to die. When it does, it will be removed and replaced with a small wood dowel (stored under the seat) to prop it open. I currently use the dowel for things like adding air to the suspension, since the gas cylinder doesn't hold the seat far enough open. The only reason I don't remove it right now is having to remove the side plastic. If the plastic comes off for another reason the gas strut is gone...
    Butter, just by way of info, I simply removed the top seat bolt from my gas strut without taking the whole strut out. I popped the bolt back in the strut hole so I wouldn’t lose it. The next owner can put the stock seat back on, pop the bolt back into the seat, and have a functioning stock seat lift. Having used a dowel (or in my case a redundant T Allen key), with the much larger seat opening, there is no way I would go back to the gas strut

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a Russell seat - too heavy for shock, so I took a dowel with velcro and mounted to the underside of the seat.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 05:41 AM. Reason: ab - a ;-)

Spyder Garage

I installed a spring over my OEM strut. On the strut is a groove that the spring will snap into locking in place. Remove the top 8mm screw on the strut an pull it away from the mounting stud. Slip the spring over the strut until it goes into the grove. Reattach the strut making sure to keep the top of the spring below the mount.
    Works great even with my sheep skin on.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Yes, PW2013STL, I used this fix and it works great. Hope others read this post and find this easy fix!
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

I used your idea as well and it works well. Otherwise, I would have had to take off my sheepskin cover.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

You are still under warranty - Get them to fix it.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Warranty work is a great idea if you can get into the dealer! My personal experience is that I wait about a month for appointment, get to drive 200 miles round trip, they want me to leave bike, they will check and see if this is a-warranty issue when they get to it! I can then pick up bike, wait for parts and repeat! The $3.00 fix above is my solution to the Bull**** of waiting on dealer.!
    • Rolo Laser Alignment
    • Lamonster Sway Bar
    • K and N air filter

Spyder Garage

I just went through this with my 2020 RTL. Stopped at my dealer, he said he had two of them in stock. Came back a week later and they installed new piston. I already had them install new piston on the trunk a few weeks ago. All covered by extended warranty. The trunk piston would have cost over $300 if no warranty. Seat piston was over $200. Expensive toys we have. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

K80 Shooter came up with the fix. Here's the thread where it's discussed.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...RTL-Seat-strut
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the input. I think I’ll try the spring solution that PW2013STL suggested, and if that fails I’ll use the dowel with Velcro. I’m getting an RDL seat and that will probably be heavier than the stock.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

While at a nearby motorcycle dealership picking up non Spyder stuff, there was an older couple picking up a new seat strut for their Spyder.
    I asked if that was as I suspected, a seat strut, they grumbled yes. I was going to offer up a tid bit about this website and other possible remedies. Unfortunately their attitude was a turn off, so I decided, if they need to be that way, they can spend money stupidly...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    While at a nearby motorcycle dealership picking up non Spyder stuff, there was an older couple picking up a new seat strut for their Spyder.
    I asked if that was as I suspected, a seat strut, they grumbled yes. I was going to offer up a tid bit about this website and other possible remedies. Unfortunately their attitude was a turn off, so I decided, if they need to be that way, they can spend money stupidly...
    I'm glad someone else bravely broached this subject because I've noticed the same lately. The spyder seems to be attracting this type of crowd recently. In our latest travels, we've come across folks who tend to carry their noses a bit higher in the air than the rest of us, if you get my drift.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I'm glad someone else bravely broached this subject because I've noticed the same lately. The spyder seems to be attracting this type of crowd recently. In our latest travels, we've come across folks who tend to carry their noses a bit higher in the air than the rest of us, if you get my drift.
    Maybe not everyone, but those two grumpy old codgers can be as they are.
    Yesterday, my long time friend that I compete with in moto trials, and we rebuild vintage motocross bikes and more, asked if I had done any Spyder laser alignments recently. I replied, nope, not wanting to deal with the attitude, frugalness, and thinking they are smart because they read it on the internet folks. Far more fun to play with the cool kids, and know they appreciate what they get. Besides, easier to make more play money fixing jets than listening to yap, yap, yap about their Spyder, and hear them complaining about dealers ripping them off. Sadly, right or wrong, they would be telling others I ripped them off. Like I said, more fun hanging with the cool kids. Even if I balance tires or do alignments for free. The good folks know how to reciprocate.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    In our latest travels, we've come across folks who tend to carry their noses a bit higher in the air than the rest of us, if you get my drift.
    Hey…….hold on there, 2dogs…….I carry my nose a bit higher than most

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    I don't care who you are. That's some funny s**t there!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post

Pete
    Well..........I'll have to exclude you folks down under. So far all the posts I read from you guys are very informative and worthwhile reading. With helpful consideration like that, I'd be pleased and thankful to scoot around with you guys anytime. Not that we don't have a good bunch up here. I don't believe the other types follow this site. They show up on FB.

Spyder Garage

@ 2dogs. Peteoz is 6' 7". He was referring to his nose physically being above everyone else's all the time
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!