Spyder Garage

Default Pedal Box + Limp Mode - did I do something wrong? Ideas?

I got a Pedal Box from Lamonster and installed it this morning. When I took it for a test ride, I started on Sport mode and really liked it. I thought I would try the Sport + mode, when I accelerated shifted into 2nd, it went into Limp Mode. I coasted to the side of the road (I was on a very busy expressway). I pulled the side panel and disconnected the Pedal Box and reconnected the factory harness. This got me out of limp mode and I was able to get home.
    Did I do something wrong on the install? After I had everything hooked up, I did the programming of the unit by holding down the + and - till it was flashing. Then twisted the throttle to full and back about 4 times (watching the lights move up and down with the movement of the throttle). I then held down the "O" till it went white again.

Before I reconnect it, I was wondering if I should try re programming it to my throttle after I reconnect it? Is there something else I am not doing ??

Thank you
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2022 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Why not call Lamonster Garage and ask them?
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Why not call Lamonster Garage and ask them?
    Just sent an email off to them. Just was wondering if anyone else had this problem, and what they might of done to fix it.

Spyder Garage

I haven't had any issues since I installed one on my RT-L. I just plugged it in, connected to my phone via Bluetooth, picked my setting and rolled on.

I have found that it sometimes takes a minute or two for the PC to connect to my phone. I don't try to roll out until the radio has booted up and the PC has connected.

--Exco

Spyder Garage

I got a reply to my email from Lamonster. They suggested me to re connect it, that it might not of been connected tight enough and one of the pins were not connected well. I did that making sure everything was tight, then reprogrammed it to the throttle. I took it for a test run and this time everything was working fine.

Spyder Garage

Not sure if this is the cause of your issue - but in case you don't know - DO NOT change settings while the throttle is "open" at all. A jump in the curve with the throttle open will definitely cause a limp mode error. This is true on the Pedal Box and Pedal Commander both. If that's the cause of the limp mode though - a simple shut down and restart of the Spyder will remove the limp mode. I've changed settings and accelerated too quickly after doing so - thinking it had set and it hadn't yet set. Triggered the Limp Mode.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Not sure if this is the cause of your issue - but in case you don't know - DO NOT change settings while the throttle is "open" at all. A jump in the curve with the throttle open will definitely cause a limp mode error. This is true on the Pedal Box and Pedal Commander both. If that's the cause of the limp mode though - a simple shut down and restart of the Spyder will remove the limp mode. I've changed settings and accelerated too quickly after doing so - thinking it had set and it hadn't yet set. Triggered the Limp Mode.
    I'll keep that in mind.
    I did try shutting everything off and waiting for a bit to see if it would come out of limp mode. But when i restarted, it was still in limp mode. That's when I thought of disconnecting the Pedal box.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Excoastie View Post
    I haven't had any issues since I installed one on my RT-L. I just plugged it in, connected to my phone via Bluetooth, picked my setting and rolled on.

I have found that it sometimes takes a minute or two for the PC to connect to my phone. I don't try to roll out until the radio has booted up and the PC has connected.

--Exco
    Do you have the pedal box, or pedal commander? I have a friend with the pedal commander, and he experienced the same thing. But I didn't think the pedal box had bluetooth capabilities.
    BTW, I have the pedal commander and love it, but I do not use the blue tooth function.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Do you have the pedal box, or pedal commander? I have a friend with the pedal commander, and he experienced the same thing. But I didn't think the pedal box had bluetooth capabilities.
    BTW, I have the pedal commander and love it, but I do not use the blue tooth function.
    Presently they sell the Pedal Box and the Pedal Box+ ($50 more). Not sure when the + came out - but that version has Bluetooth and an App to control it like the Pedal Commander.
    -----
    Joshua
    2012 Victory Vision
    2016 Spyder F3S
    2019 Spyder RT Limited
    2016 F3S , Triple Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jdr00ejr View Post
    Presently they sell the Pedal Box and the Pedal Box+ ($50 more). Not sure when the + came out - but that version has Bluetooth and an App to control it like the Pedal Commander.
    Thanks, this is good to know. Not all vendors have the Pedal Box+ yet. But that is good info for those deciding between the 2.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like you need to redo the Throttle Position Recalibration Procedure, you may be getting an issue with rolling the throttle more than once, but just to be thorough, I'll post what works for me.

1. turn key on
    2. turn pedal box to Red Circle (sport+) mode level 3 red
    3. Press + and - buttons simultaneously (lower left bar green graph and right upper red bar graph will illuminate... keep pressing both buttons till they flash in unison then release pressed buttons)
    4. VERY SLOWLY TWIST THE THROTTLE TO WOT ONCE!(wide open throttle) Then slowly release to it's natural untouched position;
    5. press the BLINKING WHITE CIRCLE BUTTON ON TOP FOR 3 SECONDS (controller will then go blank, then release mode button), MODE SELECTION BUTTON WILL TURN GREEN TO INDICATE END OF SUCCESSFUL RECALIBRATION SEQUENCE.
    6. Turn off ignition switch, wait about 30 seconds, start bike SELECT SPORT+ LEVEL 3 RED then try driving the bike again and let us know if this worked.

I made a quick video just now to illustrate what I do.....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37V3WYQEIO0
    Last edited by gmctech; 10-28-2022 at 08:37 AM.
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Just for info, gmctech……Kromm says in post 5 that Lamonster told him to reseat the connectors, which he did, and that fixed his problem

p.s.thanks for the guidelines and video on the recalibration procedure

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Some how missed that! I've done 3 of these bikes and every one of them required the throtle relearn... Haven't seen a plug and play one yet as all have done the limp home mode failure but I'm glad his was a quick simple fix!
    “The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”― George Carlin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post
    Some how missed that! I've done 3 of these bikes and every one of them required the throtle relearn... Haven't seen a plug and play one yet as all have done the limp home mode failure but I'm glad his was a quick simple fix!
    Yes I did as I was Instructed by Lamonster, reconnect and made sure all connections were tight. Then I re calibrated the throttle (very slowly). I haven't had any Issues since.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for this forum and this post (among others, of course)

Put the Pedal Box on a month ago or so. Spring thaw finally allowed a short ride today and w/in 100 yards, no throttle. Engine idled fine shut it off and restarted all good. Within a 1/2 mile, the same with limp mode. Rode home okay and started searching this forum and behold the answer appeared.
    Did the reprogram and went out for a few miles with no problem at all.

Thanks again.
    2016 RT-L , Blue