Spyder Garage

Default Digital Dash changing color randomly - any Help/advice?

Hi guys, not posted on here for a while. On my 2017 RTS SE6 I may have a problem with my digital dash? Everything is working fine, the only problem - which I guess may not be a problem, is that I've recently noticed when riding the dash colour goes from white/black back round display to orange/black back round display and it seems to do it to and fro randomly and frequently? And sometimes it's fine, it stays white/black. I read on one of the threads here that it changes colour depending on the amount of sunlight, which makes sense; but in my case I can't quite believe that this is the case here. But am I seeing a problem which sooner or later is going to give me trouble!!!
    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2017 Spyder RTS , Std Std Black/Orange

Spyder Garage

I don't think you're looking at a problem. I think it's just the light sensor is sensitive to minute fluctuations. The newer bikes have a setting where you can set it to daytime or nighttime and it won't change. Check with your dealer and see if there's a newer software version for the display.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

Agree check for updates looks like maybe version 50.1 for RT
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...update+version
    Could also be some other things: have you mounted anything around the dash mush cause odd shadows?? &this time of year -angle to the sun always good check battery connection

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the replies, I'm not overly concerned at the moment because it appears to be intermittent and apart from changing colour from one to the other quite frequently everything else on the digital dash is working just fine, also I have not obstructed the dash by adding anything that may cause odd shadows or the like!?
    Interesting point about the battery connections; I have just in the last week changed out the battery for a new one, as the old original just died a death.
    The colour changing however, was present a few weeks ago with the old battery in situ, and I know for sure the new battery connections are clean and tight. My nearest dealer is over 100 miles away and with winter fast approaching, I will leave it until next spring/summer before I make a trip if need be. Also, I guess my 2017 model is probably too old for one or the other of the two colour options to be set permanently - I think I would prefer the white one to be permanent. Also, someone mentioned to pull out the plastic safety card a little to shade the digital dash, which may help make it less sensitive to change?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 07:14 AM. Reason: ,? - ? ;-)

Spyder Garage

Is there a way to go in to your settings and change it. On the 21 RT I have you can change the mode of the display to the white or orange one.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I find the white background much too bright at night on my 2021 RTL. With it set on Automatic (newest software flash) it seems to prefer being on dark mode, but will automatically change to lite mode seemingly by whim. At leas/t it stays dark at night now.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    Is there a way to go in to your settings and change it. On the 21 RT I have you can change the mode of the display to the white or orange one.
    Quote Originally Posted by pidjones View Post
    I find the white background much too bright at night on my 2021 RTL. With it set on Automatic (newest software flash) it seems to prefer being on dark mode, but will automatically change to lite mode seemingly by whim. At least it stays dark at night now.
    I'm not sure that's a feature that's available on anything prior to the 2020+ models, & Kernow told us in the original post & repeated it again in post #4 (the post just above tntnj's ) that his Spyder is a 2017 RTS....
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Yes unfortunately I have no way of selecting a background colour and making it default because of the age of my Spyder, so I will try shading the screen with the pull-out safety card to see if it has the desired effect and stay on one colour without the annoying changing from on to the other. As I never ride in the dark any more I don't really mind which colour it stays on as long as it stops the frequent changing.....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 05:46 PM. Reason: back round - background ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I didn't think the RT base model had an option to switch color modes.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Kernow 70, as time permits, and if not raining today, I will take a minute and see if these earlier style instrument clusters have a means to help resolve your issue.
    I am curious though, on your machine, if you look closely at the clear lens covering the instrument cluster, is there visible streaks on the inside of the clear plastic that could be hampering proper operation? The inside of the clear lens is treated with some type anti-fog solution and I wonder if this may be a portion of the fault. Not saying it is, just asking.

On an unrelated topic, the posts here clearly are demonstrating that with various differences between, as example, Gen 1 Spyders (with early body style, early chassis, and V twin), Gen 1 Spyders (with early body style, 1330 and newer chassis, non electronic display instrument cluster 2017 and prior), Gen 1 Spyders (with early body style, newer chassis, but electronic display instrument cluster 2018 and after), and then the Gen 2 Spyder RT series that poor answers to help are given.

With so many variations over the years, and folks wanting to help, unfortunately many of the replies are entirely off base and do not apply. Maybe the time has come to take the various categories and either add sections specific to Gen 1 and Gen 2 noting the applicable years, or something similar. Many folks here are newer to the Spyder community and have no experience with earlier Spyders, and with that they try to help, but post very misleading information.

Even when a person asking a question has their Spyder info in the footer or even in the post, it sometimes helps, but the typical trending is that it makes little difference in the accuracy of the answers.