Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT vs RTL Features comparison - food for thought?

This thread is intended for those considering the buying of a Spyder. Its not saying what to buy, just giving some food for thought. In 2021 I decided to get a Spyder. I was lucky in that the dealer had several models on the showroom floor, and prices were reasonable for the time (full MSRP but nothing added). My first inclination was to buy the RTL at approximately $28,000. Then I looked at an RT for $23,000. What was different that accounted for the $5,000 difference in price? The most obvious was the trunk. The other main difference was the heated seats on the RTL, but not on the RT. Personally I know that I would not likely be taking long trips of multiple days where the maximum storage capacity would be really needed, and if I did take such a trip it would not likely be with my wife riding with me. So even without a trunk, the RT would work for me as I could easily put a canvas or other bag on the passenger seat and attach with a bungee for the rare time that I needed the storage. For day trips, the side cases and the frunk give me more storage than I really need. I don't like the feel of a heated seat (even in my cars) so that feature was of little value to me. I did want to add a passenger backrest to the RT, which added about $600 to my cost. So basically I saved over $4,000 and bought the RT. Its been a bit over a year, and as I get ready to put the Spyder to sleep for the winter, I decided that for me, the RT was the right decision. That's not saying it would be the right decision for you, but I think its worth thinking about, especially for those who are already a bit put off by the high cost of one of these vehicles and thinking that maybe a lower cost used bike would be preferable to buying a new one.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

As a solo rider, the RT Base is perfect for me. I take long round trip tours (~2 weeks) and shorter 4-5 days loops. Storage space is more than enough for a 1-up rider. I added a driver's backrest and heated seat (year-round rider). I also added a Shad top case for the rare time that I may ride 2-up to give the passenger a more secure feeling but it sits in the shed 99% of the time.
    The money I saved by not going with the Limited was put towards suspension and performance and still came out lower.

IMHO, the Limited would be the right choice for those who ride 2-up frequently because of the added storage and passenger backrest.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

when i bought my 22 RTL i could not find an RT within 200 miles of me.
    why dealers here in florida get the RTL is beyond me, i bought because its
    what they had .

Spyder Garage

You no longer have a choice out here in Aus. You can only buy an RT Ltd, an F3 Ltd, or an F3-s Special series. It certainly makes decision making easier, but……. p.s. the RT-L is $44,100aud ride away.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    but……. p.s. the RT-L is $44,100aud ride away.

Pete
    Geez Louise!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

We have a 2015 RT and take long two up trips, but if we were to move to a new bike it would be the RT without the trunk. We have always traveled on a sport touring bike so packing light is the norm for us. On a trip we use the frunk and side compartments and the trunk is empty. I would set up a passenger back rest without breaking the bank and set up a luggage rack if needed. We have several travel bags we could use. I figure I can set this up for under $500 and that would leave over $4000 for gas and donuts
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Agree on a lot of money for a few bells and whistles that are hardly ever used.

Bought RT, RT A&C, and RTS...but never the RTL. I could not see the extra $2K (price above the RT-S models) or so for real chrome (very little) and a garmin.

My last two were F3 "L," One (the previous year model) the other, (past year end, close out). Both came with year end rebates. That, coupled with a good deal (2019 & 2020) back when dealing was a part of the buying package, and a fair trade in, I got the L's for less than full value. Worked for me.

Based on current stuff going on, and health issues, I have decided to say farewell to Spyder riding and the F3's. I will remain as a mod as long as they will have me.

No electrics will be in my fleet either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I bought an RT base (used) for $21500 out of state. The price they were asking for a used 2021 RTL was around $32K, (4k more than a new one). I added the top case for $2k and the signature lights for $200. I ride alone so I don't care about the rear heated grip rails, but I do go for long rides and stay over night; that was the reason for the top case. As far as the heated seat, if I need them on it is too cold.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-18-2022 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Caps & $ ;-)

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Geez Louise!
    That $44,100 Australian is almost the same as we would pay in the USA, converts to $27,845 USD

Spyder Garage

its just a barter system......AUSTRALIA is higher compared to US, but relative in each country. only real benefit is go to a country where the dollar is valued more for your money. win win
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    This thread is intended for those considering the buying of a Spyder. Its not saying what to buy, just giving some food for thought. In 2021 I decided to get a Spyder. I was lucky in that the dealer had several models on the showroom floor, and prices were reasonable for the time (full MSRP but nothing added). My first inclination was to buy the RTL at approximately $28,000. Then I looked at an RT for $23,000. What was different that accounted for the $5,000 difference in price? The most obvious was the trunk. The other main difference was the heated seats on the RTL, but not on the RT. Personally I know that I would not likely be taking long trips of multiple days where the maximum storage capacity would be really needed, and if I did take such a trip it would not likely be with my wife riding with me. So even without a trunk, the RT would work for me as I could easily put a canvas or other bag on the passenger seat and attach with a bungee for the rare time that I needed the storage. For day trips, the side cases and the frunk give me more storage than I really need. I don't like the feel of a heated seat (even in my cars) so that feature was of little value to me. I did want to add a passenger backrest to the RT, which added about $600 to my cost. So basically I saved over $4,000 and bought the RT. Its been a bit over a year, and as I get ready to put the Spyder to sleep for the winter, I decided that for me, the RT was the right decision. That's not saying it would be the right decision for you, but I think its worth thinking about, especially for those who are already a bit put off by the high cost of one of these vehicles and thinking that maybe a lower cost used bike would be preferable to buying a new one.
    I bought my '21 RT base model for pretty much the same reasons. However, I did end up buying the top case, but it only cost me $1,500. Still saved almost $4K though even after that. I've added some extras but the only noticeable extra I added that came stock with the RTL that didn't with the RT, are the auxiliary lights in the front. All other add-ons I would have had to do with the RTL as well. Other than the heated seats, it was almost an apples-to-apples comparison.

I'm happy with my purchase. And again, I keep adding bells and whistles, but I would have to with the RTL as well.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I bought the RT Limited. I've used all the bells and whistles.
    I should mention that I often ride two up.
    The tail trunk is essential for me. In fact, I've added the luggage rack to the tail trunk and use it on longer trips.
    The heated seats are great, especially this time of year.
    The automatic load levelling is a nice feature.
    I like the additional lights and have added a few more.
    The most significant upgrade is the HeliBars, and I would have added that to either model the RT Limited or RT Base.
    The bells and whistles on the S2S model are, in my opinion, not worth the additional expense.

Last edited by ThreeWheels; 10-19-2022 at 04:08 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    That $44,100 Australian is almost the same as we would pay in the USA, converts to $27,845 USD
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

My first RT was a 2015 RTL and I traded in on a 2020 RTL. I also use all the features. But since no one else pointed it out, I also like the additional high mounted light on the top case for visibility. I added an aftermarket one to my 2015 and liked the stock one on the 2020. I don't have the filler panel that takes the place of the topcase if it's removed, because I never remove it due to the great storage. I've lost count of the times I've been asked if I could store something for another rider during our group rides.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

My top case isn't color match, but I think I'm going to take the side panels and top lid off over the winter and paint them Petrol Metallic blue. I saw someone else on here do that and it looks like it came out pretty good. Right now, I have a wrapmyspyder sticker, but I think I like the color match better. I can add smaller decorative stickers or pinstripes afterwards.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yep, very true, PMK, but only after you take relative salaries and cost of living into account.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I bought the RT Limited. I've used all the bells and whistles.
    I should mention that I often ride two up.
    The tail trunk is essential for me. In fact, I've added the luggage rack to the tail trunk and use it on longer trips.
    The heated seats are great, especially this time of year.
    The automatic load levelling is a nice feature.
    I like the additional lights and have added a few more.
    The most significant upgrade is the HeliBars, and I would have added that to either model the RT Limited or RT Base.
    The bells and whistles on the S2S model are, in my opinion, not worth the additional expense.
    Exactly the same here except I am almost exclusively one up. And I use handlebar risers instead of HeliBars.

Spyder Garage

I went with the chrome Limited and have no regrets at all. The saddle bags have our rain suits and other misc. emergency items which always stay there, hers on the right side and mine on the left. We each have a Hi Vis jacket in these saddle bags also so they are always full.

The frunk is used for a day cooler and each of us a cap for when we stop. We also keep various items in the trunk, gloves, sheep skin covers to be used/removed as needed, sun glasses, and other items that my wife says we/she must have. We also store her helmet in the trunk when we stop and mine goes into the frunk. I honestly wouldn't want any less storage. So, for us the Limited is the best fit.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I'll buck the beginning trend also. Glad I got the RTL and if I were to get a newer version it would be another RTL or the S2S. I know I would not be happy with a RT, but that's just me. The added touches and extra storage seal the deal.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    I'll buck the beginning trend also. Glad I got the RTL and if I were to get a newer version it would be another RTL or the S2S. I know I would not be happy with a RT, but that's just me. The added touches and extra storage seal the deal.
    A RT with extras will never make it a RTL, You can't change the Green Card. We love our RTL and are still adding some extras. .....Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I don't want to be off topic, but I would be very interested in how you trimmed 3" off your windshield.

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:14 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
    On the outside of the windshield, I sketched the new profile using a felt tip marker, then I taped that line using the top edge of 2-inch wide blue masking tape. Taking it slow, I used my battery-operated jigsaw with a Lexan/Polycarbonate blade. Then to touch up and finish the edge, starting with heavier grit and working my way to fine grit, I used sandpaper and a hand-sanding block.
    Then torch it if you want a clear finish.

Spyder Garage

WOW!
    what is that $44,100 in US dollars?
    BIG F