Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I wonder if that’s one of the reasons Laam’s pricing is cheaper than Daylong’s, OverHill. They employ full time front office staff to answer phone and email queries. I won’t be bothering with Laam again…..that is not saying others shouldn’t….but he just doesn’t “work” for me

Pete
    Question for you Pete, and this may sound odd, but I'm going to ask it anyhow because I have a sheepskin cover and frankly, I'd rather not use the cover if the Russell Day seat fixes that issue. Here's the question. Do you end up with swamp butt on hot days? Without the sheepskin cover on my OEM seat, it's a given.
    Last edited by Quickdraw; 10-19-2022 at 06:14 AM.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Quickdraw View Post
    Question for you Pete, and this may sound odd, but I'm going to ask it anyhow because I have a sheepskin cover and frankly, I'd rather not use the cover if the Russell Day seat fixes that issue. Here's the question. Do you end up with swamp butt on hot days? Without the sheepskin cover on my OEM seat, it's a given.
    Not an odd question at all, QuickDraw. I used to get a bit of swamp butt on some of my 2 wheel OEM seats, but since I swap out the stock Spyder seat as quickly as possible, I can’t confirm that for my OEM seats on my F3 or RT. We are all different.

What I can tell you is that I have not had a case of monkey butt on any of my RDL seats, and a couple have been leather, one has been vinyl and two have been Sunbrella. I believe the shape of the seat with its wings lifting the outer thighs is a big part of this, along with thighs to knee angles. I also wear LD Comfort shorts under my pants on rides over 3 hours or so. Also, RDL tell you NOT to put sheepskin on the seat as it alters the dynamics and therefore performance……and since they are all about comfort, I assume that is the performance to which they are referring.

Unfortunately, the above is all seat of the pants observations (see what I did there ). However, I have not seen anyone referring to getting monkey butt on any of the RDL reviews, but you never know

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 10-19-2022 at 03:07 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Peoples Republic of Calif. Upper Mojave Desert
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I have had Russell Day Long seats on 4 previous mc including 2 Spyders. This time I went with a Laam seat. I did a ride in and he worked on my seat for 7 hours. Turns out he worked for the original owner of Day Long Saddles. Did not like the lack of quality so when the business was sold to the current owners he went out on his own.
    He did a fantastic job and it's just as comfortable as any Day Long I have owned. Best part is he warranties his saddle for as long as you own it , and for a lot less than Russell charges.
    Bill Mayer was the original Day Long saddle owner, He sold the business some 20 years ago , there is now a third owner. I currently own 3 bikes with a Russell, with some 300 K on them. They work. Does Laam build a sprung seat?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-20-2022 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Quote first... ;-)

Spyder Garage

In a word - yes. You get what you pay for.
    08 RS/SM5 (Hers) (sold)
    15 RT-S (Mine)
    2015 RT-S , Metallic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    Bill Mayer was the original Day Long saddle owner, He sold the business some 20 years ago , there is now a third owner. I currently own 3 bikes with a Russell, with some 300 K on them. They work. Does Laam build a sprung seat?
    No he doesn't, but he does warranty it for as long as you own it. I am not saying that Russell are not great seats. What I am saying is that Laam seats are as good as Russell's for less money!
    The only issue I see is that he is a one man shop so it looks like depending on what's happening in is life could be effecting how he handles business.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Sep 27, 2022

Hi everyone Dave here from Valley Customs ... motorcycledave.com motorcycledave@mac.com
    There have been over the years many folks asking me if my custom made for me Gel pads
    made for motorcycle seats are worth a damn..
    I know there are a bunch of things out there for your seat but I know mine is by far the best of them
    If you click around you will find I own Valley Medical Repair, I work on Hospital , Dental, Doctors office tables
    and more, this gell is the same I use in the medical field it is much higher quality than others. Here is a letter I just got last Friday
    from one of our Spyder Riders.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dave, good Friday afternoon.

I am way late here with this note.

Modified my original F3 seat a month ago. Ridden over a thousand miles. Couple of day trips totaling 750 miles.

Dave, the seat is transformed and my F3 is finally a pleasant all day mount. Thank you for suggesting this upgrade. It is better than advertised.

The F3 seat pan is almost like steel when attempting to staple cover back into place. Forty Five dollars was well spent to purchase pneumatic Arrow stapler and some 3/8 and 1/4 inch staples.

From seat off to seat back on.... with all tools at hand... hour and a half.

I did change out box cutter blades 2 times. Perfect cubes taken out.

I briefly had a Seth Laam seat. One ride. Hundred and sixty miles. I rated it a 7 out of ten. I rate my properly modified Motorcycle Dave seat a solid Ten.

Best regards,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PJveetwin View Post
    Bill Mayer was the original Day Long saddle owner, He sold the business some 20 years ago , there is now a third owner.
    Waaaay back in 1979, I went to the shop, Bill Mayer built up a custom seat for my KZ1300. 20+ years later, I wanted a Day Long seat for my Voyager 1300, but it had been sold to Russell, so I had Russell make one. Not quite as satisfied with it, but they had insisted on using the heavier foam because I was at (not over) that magical 225# gravitational attraction that required the denser foam. That seat never really "broke in", but it was still a lot better than the stock seat.

That said, was the seat "that good"? Yes. Sure, it's far from cheap, but in this case, you do tend to get what you pay for.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I have the Ultimate. I know RDL are great seats, but I can’t imagine them being that much better than the Ultimate.
    2014 Spyder RTS, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1986 Honda V65 Magna, 2003 Honda Shadow 750, 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8, 2018 Ram 3500 Cummins, 2017 Cadillac XT5

Spyder Garage

Back in post #31 Dave tells us about his gel pad for the stock seat and that he can make you a custom seat if need be. Right after I bought my Spyder I knew the seat wasn't going to work for the kind of long distance riding I wanted to do. I had heard of Dave's gel pad and decided to buy one and put it in. The instructions were great, the cutter very useful and the fact that when I called Dave with a question, he answered himself, & on a Saturday. I made a new friend; got the help I needed; and rode comfortably until the seat cover rotted away. I wish I had realized Dave built custom motorcycle seats, I would have had him do one.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 01-23-2023 at 12:42 AM. Reason: decoded - decided ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rafterd View Post
    I have the Ultimate. I know RDL are great seats, but I can’t imagine them being that much better than the Ultimate.
    If you are fortunate enough to be exactly the right height (inleg), weight and body shape, there is no question that you will be just as comfortable on an Ultimate as on a Daylong, Rafterd. However, for the other 90% of us, who aren’t that perfect fit to it, the Ultimate (like Mustang, Saddlemen etc) is a one size fits all and as such can not provide long term comfort to us.

That’s where the Daylong or Laam come into their own. They are made, using seating photos, to your leg length, your seating position, your body shape, with foam suspension to suit your body weight, and wings to support the outer thigh. This is what your car provides, and most of them work very well. You can also get the seat covered in Sunbrella, which holds its colour and provides a cool seat after sitting in the hot sun, a warmer seat in winter, and a fair degree of waterproofing.

I have tried, on various bikes, Mustang, Saddlemen, Ultimate, gel inserts, Corbin etc etc etc, and none have been comfortable for more than 45 minutes (there was no way I could sit on the Corbin for 1000 miles to see if it breaks in.) I gave up buying “one size fits all” back in 2004 and have always factored the cost of a Daylong into every new bike since then. They get it right first time every time and are worth every penny to me.

So no, they are not “always” much better for the reasons mentioned above, but for the vast majority they are indeed much better.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I have a Russell day long would I get another NOPE After getting seat back the back of thighs were sore which they say it will happened I called and they said send pictures so I did I called later they said oh yeah its to high there Guess who had pay 85 dollars to send seat back to be reworked so no last one

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cirhere View Post
    I have a Russell day long would I get another NOPE After getting seat back the back of thighs were sore which they say it will happened I called and they said send pictures so I did I called later they said oh yeah its to high there Guess who had pay 85 dollars to send seat back to be reworked so no last one
    I assume that was a freight charge, Cirhere? So did they rework it so that it is now comfortable for you?

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Yes!!!