Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Are 2022 RT's Speed limited?

Are the 2022 RT's speed limited by the computer ? My past few bikes have been limited and I was wondering if the Can Am's are also....
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2022 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ron1026 View Post
    Are the 2022 rt"s speed limited by the computer ? My past few bikes have been limited and I was wondering if the Can Am's are also .
    but I'm sure we are about to find out, you have my ear!...Bill
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Are the 2022 RT's speed limited by the computer ? My past few bikes have been limited and I was wondering if the Can Am's are also....
    I don't think so .... I've had two V-twins and my 2014 RT maxed out in top gear and they weren't able to go any faster. They just didn't have the HP to do it..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes They are limited

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Computer Rules

...Well, what do you really want/think?
    The Lawyers love this stuff.
    Ryde Safe and Enjoy Your Life.

Stay Healthy. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

A couple of my newer bikes have rev limiters on them as does my RT. That's more for engine protection than it is a speed limiter. Not all bikes have the needed horsepower to get to the rev limiter in the higher gears. The wind resistance is just too great for the available power to overcome. Then there was this; A gentlemen's agreement was made among the major motorcycle manufacturers to limit the speed of their machines to 300 km/h (186 mph), starting with 2000 models. That was agreed upon for the FEW motorcycles that could actually reach that speed and of course the Spyder isn't one of them. Not even close. I have read where some countries in Europe are considering technology on new vehicles that would limit them to the posted speeds.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Yes, it is limited. That's why you can reach max allowed speed in 5th or 6th gear. It can be raised by tuning the ECU.
    Last edited by EdMat; 10-15-2022 at 08:33 AM. Reason: wording
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Don't know.
    I do know my '21 RTL will easily and smoothly run 95mph in 6th gear with 2 riders but haven't had the need to try and push it above that... yet.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I don't really know for sure about the 20+ Spyders, but I do expect they'd be at least similar to the earlier models and for those made earlier than that, there's been similar threads & discussion both here & elsewhere, & IIRC, there's even vids showing this in action - I'm pretty sure they're not actually 'SPEED limited' per se, it's more of a Wide Open Throttle Limit that effectively achieves the same thing!

So unless you've had your ECU upgraded to remove this WOT limit, the throttle just won't remain Wide Open for very long before it cuts back a bit - and that means that while you can get the engine to accelerate pretty hard, you simply can't hold WOT for long enough to continue increasing road speed until you reach the potential maximum speed the engine's power/revs should be able to deliver when balanced against the dirty great wall of air our Spyder's hafta push ahead of them & all the other 'natural' restrictions that team up to limit top speed!

So AFAIK, NO, they're NOT Speed limited as such, but there's more than one way to achieve that end, & BRP have found at least one of them!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Drag force does vary with the square of the speed, but power needed to overcome that drag force varies with the cube of the speed.
    the power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. A car cruising on a highway at 50 mph (80 km/h) may require only 10 horsepower (7.5 kW) to overcome aerodynamic drag, but that same car at 100 mph (160 km/h) requires 80 hp (60 kW).[16] With a doubling of speed the drag (force) quadruples per the formula. Exerting 4 times the force over a fixed distance produces 4 times as much work. At twice the speed the work (resulting in displacement over a fixed distance) is done twice as fast. Since power is the rate of doing work, 4 times the work done in half the time requires 8 times the power."

well that's how i remember it from my drag racing days back in the 80's and early 90's.

Spyder Garage

My previous bikes have all been speed limited and I was curious if the Can Am was also limited, not by rpm or wind drag , just plain old mph. Two harley's were done at

107 mph, 2018 goldwing was 112, no matter what gear they were in. They would accelarate strong to the mph and just go no further.

Spyder Garage

I helped developed the ECU flash that is I believe the only one available in the USA. Simply put BRP only allows the RT platform to reach 105 to 108 mph and the F3 sport to reach 112 to 116 MPH. Yes some riders report under optimal conditions, (going down hill) a little higher MPHs. That is why I don't post this info it just starts a pissing fight on the forum.
    We had hundreds of hours trying to unlock speed restrictions and found that the ignition ECU, Transmission ECU, and the dash computer all are active in controlling top speed. We gave up as all 3 components would need to be flashed together. It was calculated that if Can-Am unlocked everything and gave us 150HP plus, as the motor is capable, the RT platform would reach 128 to 130 mph and the F3 Sport could break 140 mph.
    Dennis
    Last edited by Dennis in Lodi; 10-16-2022 at 08:28 AM.

Spyder Garage

There was a guy reflashing the new Goldwing computers who had good results, but he decided to stop doing it due to the govt coming down on shops modifying vehicles, whether it was bikes, or trucks, or cars. It could be very expensive if they are found doing these modifications...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-17-2022 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Ther & ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis in Lodi View Post
    I helped developed the ECU flash that is I believe the only one available in the USA. Simply put BRP only allows the RT platform to reach 105 to 108 mph and the F3 sport to reach 112 to 116 MPH. Yes some riders report under optimal conditions, (going down hill) a little higher MPHs. That is why I don't post this info it just starts a pissing fight on the forum.
    We had hundreds of hours trying to unlock speed restrictions and found that the ignition ECU, Transmission ECU, and the dash computer all are active in controlling top speed. We gave up as all 3 components would need to be flashed together. It was calculated that if Can-Am unlocked everything and gave us 150HP plus, as the motor is capable, the RT platform would reach 128 to 130 mph and the F3 Sport could break 140 mph.
    Dennis
    I didn't know that the RT was limited to 108 mph by the ECU. I had mine up to about 108 for a very short time and thought it just ran out of HP, pushing that big barn door front end through the wind at that speed.
    Nevertheless, I'm not unhappy with cruising at 75 mph.
    To me, the Spyder is a recreational vehicle.
    What's your hurry?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone on this forum will be delighted to tell me so.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I didn't know that the RT was limited to 108 mph by the ECU. I had mine up to about 108 for a very short time and thought it just ran out of HP, pushing that big barn door front end through the wind at that speed.
    Nevertheless, I'm not unhappy with cruising at 75 mph.
    To me, the Spyder is a recreational vehicle.
    What's your hurry?

Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm sure someone on this forum will be delighted to tell me so.
    The flash is for making better acceleration performance in the RPM ranges that everyone drives in. 25% more power from idle until your personal preference for RPM shift points. Where it is really noticed is coming up an interstate ramp 2 up and how quickly you get to your 75mph. And, just like the pedal commander the acceleration happens with less twisting of the throttle.
    For me, I'm kind of on the same page as you. I didn't get the flash this time around for 3 reasons. 1. The Pedal Commander device delivered the quicker throttle response that I was addicted when I had the flash. 2 Warranty. 3. I have a 2 wheel race bike to meet my speed needs.
    For my 2021 RTL I have no intentions of putting a sway bar on, changing shocks, or getting the ECU flashed. My RTL is cushy plush in all riding conditions. For those who like their ride as is, you should really consider the Pedal Commander to reduce your throttle roll on by about 40%. Hard to explain, but it is addictive having shorter and quicker throttle response.
    Dennis

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The simple answer is yes, as pointed out by several posters.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

105 at 5500 rpm today and that was all she had not one iota more, SLEDGE got there quickly but at 105 it was all over, i tried down shifting to 5th and nothing happened, the RTL ia also very very thirsty at that speed as you can see from the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    105 at 5500 rpm today and that was all she had not one iota more, SLEDGE got there quickly but at 105 it was all over, i tried down shifting to 5th and nothing happened, the RTL ia also very very thirsty at that speed as you can see from the picture.
    Is that your parking brake indicator illuminated?
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

AFAIK the german RT's are registered to get >120mpH (195km/h) as highest possible speed in their registration papers.

At https://www.auto.de/magazin/can-spyd...erheitsfimmel/ (a german test magazine) they also write about the Speed on a F3. They tested it at 198 km/h (123mp/h). That speed sounds quite realistic as cars with roundabout 120hp don't hit much more than 200 km/h. The Alpina B8 GC needs 620 hp to touch the 200mph.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-14-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Exposed hidden URL iaw Forum Policy ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    Is that your parking brake indicator illuminated?
    yes because i was parked while i was gettin my $1500- ticket for speeding.

Spyder Garage

There is a rev-limiter so the answer to your question is most likely yes. I have heard top speed around 105 or so.

We have never pushed the limits. Currently, posted speed limit--plus no more than five mph. On quiet country roads, we like to putz along at around 40 mph. Saves gas and we enjoy the great scenery.

Our 19 and 20 F3L's will do at least 80.

A bit off topic...but the latest issue of Rider shows the "new" 1100 cc Honda Rebel with fairing and saddle bags. Looks like a H-D Road King. Very nice, 27" high seat, semi auto tranny available, weight around 500#, and in a beautiful burgandy red. $11,299. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-16-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Take it out and kick it in the guts. Limited to the machines top speed or your courage. If you decline that well what difference will it make?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SLICE View Post
    the RTL ia also very very thirsty at that speed as you can see from the picture.
    This reminded me of the best Top Speed car review ever. The Bugatti Veron... "At this speed the tires will only last 15 minutes... but that's OK because the fuel will run out in 12!"

https://youtu.be/LO0PgyPWE3o?t=392

-- Joe B.

(Awaiting my new 2022 RTL. Which will never, ever go 108 mph.)
    Last edited by liv2cod; 05-01-2023 at 06:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

ummm...Rev Limiting and Speed Limiting are two different things....
    Ride safe; shiny side up, greasy side down.

best,
    linguine

2020 RT Limited , Chalk Gray

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by linguine View Post
    ummm...Rev Limiting and Speed Limiting are two different things....
    It's speed limited.
    2019 RTL Phoenix Orange
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange