Spyder Garage

Default What panels need to be taken off to do the Brake switch recall?

I have a 2021 S2S. Got a booking at the dealer for the brake switch recall. Does anyone know how much plastic bodywork has to be removed to do the job. I would rather remove any myself before it goes in so I know it is done properly and stored safely.
    Thanks,
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2023 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Expanded title to briefly ask the question... ;-)

Spyder Garage

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you don't trust your dealer to take off what panels may have to be taken off, do you trust them to work on your brakes? Relax and take a breath!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Hi Mikey,
    The dealership is fairly new, only 6 months, just worried about the plastics. They have many other dealerships so they have people who know the basics I assume. They will not let me have the parts to do it myself as it is a safety recall. The dealer I bought the bike from new is a 380 mile round trip and they cannot guarantee to do it while I wait.

Spyder Garage

Are you taking it in a covered trailer or open trailer? You can’t drive it there with all the plastic off!? Your asking for more problems than good. If you are taking it there and let's say it's raining, once they are done, they are going to park it outside. Yes, they may pull it in overnight, but it will sit outside for a bit. They completed the job, and it will be naked to the elements. I would not want to open trailer it naked either. You’re Just asking for more problems. It’s under warranty, It's a recall, let them do all the work. There is no money savings involved. If you're not happy with the fitment once it gets home, remove the plastic and re-snap it together. Just my opinion.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-06-2023 at 07:42 AM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

When I had the brake switch recall done on my 2020 RTL, they took it in at 8:00 AM and I was back on the road within 30 minutes. Not sure if any panels were removed to complete the job.
    Original: 2013 RT-Limited Pearl White (Bought New 07/2013 Traded @ 34,000 Miles)
    Current: 2017 F3-Limited Pure Magnesium Metallic (Bought New 07/2018)
    Current: 2020 RT-Limited Petrol Metallic Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flier Tuck View Post
    I have a 2021 S2S. Got a booking at the dealer for the brake switch recall. Does anyone know how much plastic bodywork has to be removed to do the job. I would rather remove any myself before it goes in so I know it is done properly and stored safely.
    Thanks,
    Alan.
    Go to a parts seller and find the Fiche' that shows the Brake switch .... it will show you any parts in that area ..... good luck ....Mike

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks,
    Alan.
    Hey Alan. Here’s a link to the Recall Instructions. For your 2021, you get the entire kit, not just the helper spring. The section for your machine starts on Page 2. Whether you pre-remove the panels is your call. Scratches happen.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...3V175-2373.pdf

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Brake light switch.

Hi Snowbelt,
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks for your help. I will remove the panels indicated before taking Borys in for the work. Borys is named after The Who song Boris the Spider.
    Thanks again,
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-10-2023 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

Most techs these days are used to removing and storing Tupperware properly, every motorcycle or 4x4 they have probably ever worked on has expensive plastics.

Remember that recreational vehicle dealers work differently to car dealers. They assume that it isn't your primary form of transport and they just queue the work up as best they can. They don't probably have too many Spyder techs, so if the job before yours takes longer, yours takes longer too.

It's the way of the world. It's irritating but few dealers sell enough Spyders to have a whole crew of techs trained in servicing the vehicle type. If the Spyder tech is off sick that day, guess what, your Spyder probably sits. Usually their techs are mostly dedicated to 4x4 vehicles and watercraft. But to be fair, for routine work, even if the Spyder tech works mainly on 4x4s a Spyder isn't that much more complex to work on and they share similar mechanisms for removing plastics. It's when the work goes beyond the routine that's when the Spyder and BUDS2 expertise comes into play.

So, if the dealers tech department is a neat, tidy, professional place, then they will probably approach the work on your vehicle in the same way. Talk to the tech doing the work. Is he professional, knowledgeable about recreational vehicles in general? Ask him how he handles jobs he hasn't done before. If he answers in an honest acceptable manner then they can probably be trusted to do the straightforward work the recall requires. No tech will have ever done every type of repair, it's how they handle new situations that counts. Ask to see their BRP certs too. Do they know how to escalate problems with BRP?

At the end of the day, do you get a warm feeling about their capabilities? If so, you end up having to have a level of trust in their professional capabilities and over time you will build a relationship with that tech if they deliver for you.
    Can Am Syder RT Limited (2021)
    Triumph Bonneville T120 (2018)
    2021 RT Limited , Silver

Spyder Garage

Dealer techs.

When I purchased my first Spyder RT it was from a new dealership here in the UK. I asked to speak to the BRP tech guy for some info... The techs training amounted to several hours on the BUDS computer and nothing else, he had not even ridden one of our bikes.
    Alan.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 12-10-2023 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Moved Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)

Spyder Garage

When I purchased my first Spyder RT it was from a new dealership here in the UK. I asked to speak to the BRP tech guy for some info.. The techs training amounted to several hours on the BUDS computer and nothing else, he had not even ridden one of our bikes.
    Alan.
    Ouch…..I now understand your concern, Alan

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

brake switch is located on the bottom right side no panels off