Spyder Garage

Question Will Ultimate Passenger backrest interfere with ShowChrome rack/trunk opening?

I’ve searched without luck to find the answer to my question.
    We have a 2011 RT.
    My wife is saying that she wishes she had a bit more room in the back because it feels tighter back there than on a Goldwing.
    I see that Ultimate sells a passenger backrest and they say it increases the passenger space but it’s 1” higher than the stock backrest.
    So my question is - does anyone have the Ultimate Passenger backrest on their Spyder with the luggage rack on the trunk that is on an angle (showchrome) and does this Passenger backrest interfere with either the luggage rack or the opening of the trunk?
    Thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2022 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I believe I've only seen one RT with that combination Wrongway, but IIRC, even tho the top/front edge of the trunk lid did get close to the top/rear of the Passenger backrest, there was NO interference with the trunk opening - and the rack/any load on the rack that didn't hang forward over the top/front edge of the rack remained well clear too!

There again, maybe it's just my forgettory glossing over any issues, cos they didn't apply to me/my Spyder with it's std passenger backrest & Rivco Rack?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thanks Peter, I appreciate your answer even though you may be suffering from forgettory lol.
    I’ve got all winter to decide anyway since fall has quickly descended on us here in Canada and we won’t have many riding days left before we see the white stuff.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

I have the ultimate backrest/luggage rack combo and there is no clearance issues. After a new ultimate seat and backrest and a new F4 windscreen, she's still not as comfortable as when we had the Goldwing...considering go to a Goldwing trike.

Spyder Garage

be aware. On a conventional trike you will have a lot more work/stress on your arms and shoulders to turn, as you can't counter steering and will have no power assist as you do on a Spyder. I came from a conventional trike because of the extra stress it put on my shoulders and upper arms. The Spyder is a lot easier to ride
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Thanks very much for your reply. It’s appreciated.
    With regards to a conventional trike, I haven’t ridden a gold wing trike but had the opportunity to take a Harley factory trike for a test ride. I much prefer the riding experience of the Spyder.
    The Harley sure looked and sounded nice though.
    Last edited by Wrongway; 11-02-2022 at 12:34 PM.
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Hello Atomic, I agree with RJ on the Spyder to Trike, even in the Goldwing which is a fine machine. Sounds like you ride two up and the issue is comfort for your spouse. One of the reasons I went with the Ultimate seat as well. We had to ride Spyders, a GW and HD trike in our three wheel safety course, which you have to do to get licensed here in Washington. Instructor flat out challenged us to roll a Spyder and warned us to be cautious of the tipping over the GW and HD trikes. We all had to swap out so we had exposure to each. Part of the course was those who had a normal "trike" configuration like the HD or the GW trike, was you had to get it up on two wheels and ride it like that balanced for 50 feet. Honestly when I did that and saw how easy that was to do, for safety for my spouse, I said no to both the HD and GW trike, even though I had my heart set on a GW trike. Not trying to talk you out of it, but for tip over safety, you can hardly beat a Spyder compared to a trike configuration, especially with any evasive maneuvers.

With that, I sit pretty low and my wife sits above me. We have not ridden two up yet with the new Freedom windshield. It has a "fold" at the top that creates and air flow over the top that they claim is @ 3 inches higher than what it is. I bought the 24 inch shield, which is 1" less than stock, however, I can raise and lower that the full length and I get zero wind, even at the lowest setting. In fact, at that lowest setting not only does it look more sporting, but it forms a great little pocket that I get almost no wind. With the stock shield, as soon as I hit an inch down I felt the wind, air, buffeting etc. I also put on the upper and lower wind deflectors. They help too. I often experiment with my hand on the inside, almost no wind and on the outside (freezing) so again they help, but the Freedom windshield, not only looks cool, but is incredibly functional being wider on the sides and that lip at the top in how it deflects the air. May not help too much for your passenger as again, have not ridden two up with it yet. Might be something to look at. They run about $300 at LaMonster and that is about the going rate. I would do it again in a heartbeat though.

It mounted well. Very well made. There is a slight gap at the top of the plastic chrome caps on the front of the RT windshield (bottom fits nice and snug) that I think is due to the thickness of the windshield being a little less than stock. A welcome trade with how this one looks and performs versus stock though and its not that noticeable and mounts solidly. I also bought the light tint, which is perfect for both day and night, no loss of visibility at night, little more custom look than clear and has some sun block as well that compliments my HTC helmet sun visor. To their credit, BPM has those rubber grommets with the metal spacers that make for a great mounting system for stock. The freedom does not re-use those, it has some rubber o-rings, but it is tough and mounts securely so it works fine. Sorry for the book, but maybe somethings to look at to cut the wind and make that Spyder more cozy for you and yours.
    Lvmyspyder
    She's Lisa
    2018 Spyder RT Limited[img]
    2018 RTL , Stock Brake Pedal Extender. White