Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Recent BRP Email for 2023 model pre-orders

I received an email from BRP yesterday with what I interpreted as a really odd message.
    IMG_0232.jpg

The title, to start with: "Grow your fleet"???

The message: "Once they're gone, they're gone"?

I'm not sure if this is just dumb marketing or if it's intentionally cynical. Given that BRP has yet to deliver some 2022 units, and the delays in even getting 2022 production out the door were to the point of ridiculous, what are they trying to say?

Should I take from this that they are self-limiting their production? Is it supposed to encourage me to pre-order something that may take months to arrive? Gee, can I see one in person before I lay out my cash?

Stupid is as stupid does... and boy this is a doozy.
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    I received an email from BRP yesterday with what I interpreted as a really odd message.
    IMG_0232.jpg

The title, to start with: "Grow your fleet"???

The message: "Once they're gone, they're gone"?

I'm not sure if this is just dumb marketing or if it's intentionally cynical. Given that BRP has yet to deliver some 2022 units, and the delays in even getting 2022 production out the door were to the point of ridiculous, what are they trying to say?

Should I take from this that they are self-limiting their production? Is it supposed to encourage me to pre-order something that may take months to arrive? Gee, can I see one in person before I lay out my cash?

Stupid is as stupid does... and boy this is a doozy.
    Given what they've already said about their future & the future of some of their gas powered products, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BRP announcing in the not too distant future that they will no longer be making gas powered Spyders & Rykers.... And in that light, everything else aside, the "Once they're gone, they're gone!" comment suddenly makes a WHOLE LOT more sense!

No matter what you or I think about it, or what anyone else might think about it either, there are more'n more countries world wide mandating an end to making/selling new gas powered vehicles, and with an ever decreasing market or tolerance for gas powered motors & vehicles, it's plainly becoming a matter of WHEN, not IF for Can Am Spyders & Rykers!!

So 'once they're gone, they're gone' is truly only a matter of time..... if it's 2023 that's gonna be the end for them from BRP or not.... But if I was sitting on the fence just waiting to get one of the last gas powered Spyder/Rykers that's ever gonna be made, I certainly wouldn't be waiting too much longer, even if only for Justin's sake!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2022 at 05:17 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Given what they've already said about their future & the future of some of their gas powered products, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BRP announcing in the not too distant future that they will no longer be making gas powered Spyders & Rykers.... And in that light, everything else aside, the "Once they're gone, they're gone!" comment suddenly makes a WHOLE LOT more sense!

No matter what you or I think about it, or what anyone else might think about it either, there are more'n more countries world wide mandating an end to gas powered vehicles, and with an ever decreasing market or tolerance for gas powered motors, it's plainly becoming a matter of WHEN, not IF!! So 'once they're gone, they're gone' is truly only a matter of time.....
    good ‘ol foot power. 375362CB-1158-4C12-B9FE-2E2D8362825C.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pre ordered, doubt it will be their last. Will post if I learn anything different.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post

No matter what you or I think about it, or what anyone else might think about it either, there are more'n more countries world wide mandating an end to making/selling new gas powered vehicles, and with an ever decreasing market or tolerance for gas powered motors & vehicles, it's plainly becoming a matter of WHEN, not IF for Can Am Spyders & Rykers!!

So 'once they're gone, they're gone' is truly only a matter of time..... if it's 2023 that's gonna be the end for them from BRP or not.... But if I was sitting on the fence just waiting to get one of the last gas powered Spyder/Rykers that's ever gonna be made, I certainly wouldn't be waiting too much longer, even if only for Justin's sake!
    Peter, I admit that I’m pretty much old school, and heck, just plain old. In that sense, I hope that your prediction is still some time off. It may be inevitable, but to make a full switch from ICE to battery in only one model year would be quite extreme.

I’m aware that Dodge recently decided their ICE muscle cars are done with the 2023 models, to be replaced by electrics. But so far I have not seen a report about whether the new cars will be all-electric or plug-in hybrids. Personally I’m fine with PHEV (I’ve owned 3 of them) but full electric, given the massive shortfall in charging infrastructure, is still mostly a pipe dream. And anyone who thinks today’s electric vehicles are 100% “environmentally friendly” is delusional.

Should we work that direction? Sure, but the limiting factor is, and will continue to be, the availability of charging stations; perhaps more importantly, the electrical generating capacity to meet such demand. It will take many years to make that transition. It’s not “flip a switch” as so many seem to think. It seems to me the push for electric vehicles is driven more by the “greens” than by the free market.

This will continue to roll out however it does. But I’m not a battery-only buyer and I will never be.

Thanks,
    Bob
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2022 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Revised to comply with Forum Rule #2 ;-)
    “There comes a time in the affairs of men... when we must seize the bull by the tail and face the situation.” - W.C. Fields

2019 Spyder RT Limited - Asphalt Gray/Chrome
    1991 H-D Sturgis FXDB -- #684 of 1600 Limited Edition

Gone but not forgotten:
    2014 Spyder ST SE5
    Steel Black Metallic
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Gray/Chrome

Spyder Garage

They may be working towards what us snowmobilers have been facing for a couple years!! There will be no floor models at the dealer, you have to preorder your machines a year in advance! That way they do not have inventory hanging out there, I have never understood that concept, the dealers pay for their floor plain every month, if they want a few machines of their choice I would think they should be able to have them! that's my guess
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Once they go electric, all the new Spyders will sound like sewing machines...

While electric may be in the future for Spyders, I suspect the gasoline powered machines will increase in value since not everyone wants an electric Spyder.

I was able to ride a friends Zero sportbike. Is was neat up to about 45mph, then the power went flat pretty quickly. This same friend has a Tesla Plaid. That car is stupid fast and pins you in the seat to 150mph. If Can Am can deliver Tesla Plaid performance, with a 500 mile range they may have a winner. But, it is Can Am, and they reach over their shoulder to wipe...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RideOn View Post
    Peter, I admit that I’m pretty much old school, and heck, just plain old. In that sense, I hope that your prediction is still some time off. It may be inevitable, but to make a full switch from ICE to battery in only one model year would be quite extreme.

I’m aware that Dodge recently decided their ICE muscle cars are done with the 2023 models, to be replaced by electrics. But so far I have not seen a report about whether the new cars will be all-electric or plug-in hybrids. Personally I’m fine with PHEV (I’ve owned 3 of them) but full electric, given the massive shortfall in charging infrastructure, is still mostly a pipe dream. And anyone who thinks today’s electric vehicles are 100% “environmentally friendly” is delusional.

Should we work that direction? Sure, but the limiting factor is, and will continue to be, the availability of charging stations; perhaps more importantly, the electrical generating capacity to meet such demand. It will take many years to make that transition. It’s not “flip a switch” as so many seem to think. It seems to me the push for electric vehicles is driven more by the “greens” than by the free market.

This will continue to roll out however it does. But I’m not a battery-only buyer and I will never be.

Thanks,
    Bob
    I agree, to get rid of fossil fuel vehicles without the infrastructure to support them is insanity. Here Calif we are already having rolling brownouts because of a lack of electrical power to go around. But now we are going to put more of a strain on our electrical grid, without any plans to increase it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how this is going to end up.
    2022 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic

Spyder Garage

Well if it plays out looking like its looking in the snowmobile production, “When they’re gone they’re gone” could very simply mean pre orders are all they are doing for the most part next season. That means there may be little to none on the floor of a dealer unless they preorder too and or probably set to a order limit. For example, this year skidoo dealerships, depending on their sales, were only allowed to order/preorder a set number. Once that number was met they were shut off. Therefore if they know how many pre order to make they know how many parts to stock. Once the parts are done the production is done. I’m sure there will be floor models but in general even the automobile industry is going to preorder sales. The days of the dealership having a huge stock is on its way out. Therefore industry knows exactly how many to make. Just thinking out loud!

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I had to order a ram cargo high top van. None anywhere. The dealer said this is the way it is now. At least i was not obligated to take it when it comes in and if like the spyder i bought it may be 5 months down the road before it does come in. Very strange times anymore
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

The bad thing with Pre order on a Spyder is the " Non Refundable " $500 you have to put down !!
    2022 Spyder RTL

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I see them using the pre orders as a barometer on how many they actually plan to produce figuring in total production and replacement parts stock and average dealer orders for floor stock.
    I've always bought my new snowmobiles in Jan. when BRP discounted leftovers, that's not happening anymore.
    Supply issues probably are driving this now as preorders let them actually order and let them get enough components now to supply the demand instead of shipping units missing parts and disappointing customers who want their ride to arrive yesterday. There are still some snowmobiles coming in missing gauges and DESS posts.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Spyder Garage

My two cents is that we are going to see more and more vehicle companies be it cars, trucks, motorcycles, or Spyders go to online sales. Outfits like Carvana are booming and auto companies are taking notice. Dealerships are going to be a pick up point for the vehicle that you purchased online as well as a service department. There will be very few cars sitting on any lots anywhere. Possibly just a few for demo's and then you go online to purchase. As far as a non-refundable deposit? That isn't going away anytime soon. That pesky little item helps separate the tire kickers from the serious buyers. I have sold a couple of bikes on Ebay and I always require the winning bidder to put up a non-refundable deposit. If he goes through with the sale then the deposit goes towards the price. As far as electric vehicles are concerned I think cooler heads will prevail and this transition will slow down. Electric cars are an alternative and will be for some time because the world just isn't ready yet. Even Elon Musk has said we aren't ready and no one has shown a viable plan yet. Remember controversy is what makes the evening news, not common sense.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

All good information above. At this point, I have to say that I am in agreement with every post.

I don't even have to bang the drum for "it's too early, where is the infrastructure?"

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My two cents is that we are going to see more and more vehicle companies be it cars, trucks, motorcycles, or Spyders go to online sales. Outfits like Carvana are booming and auto companies are taking notice. Dealerships are going to be a pick up point for the vehicle that you purchased online as well as a service department. There will be very few cars sitting on any lots anywhere. Possibly just a few for demo's and then you go online to purchase. As far as a non-refundable deposit? That isn't going away anytime soon. That pesky little item helps separate the tire kickers from the serious buyers. I have sold a couple of bikes on Ebay and I always require the winning bidder to put up a non-refundable deposit. If he goes through with the sale then the deposit goes towards the price. As far as electric vehicles are concerned I think cooler heads will prevail and this transition will slow down. Electric cars are an alternative and will be for some time because the world just isn't ready yet. Even Elon Musk has said we aren't ready and no one has shown a viable plan yet. Remember controversy is what makes the evening news, not common sense.
    ”Death of a salesman” Comes to mind

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    The bad thing with Pre order on a Spyder is the " Non Refundable " $500 you have to put down !!
    A "Non Refundable" deposit, unless it is for a one off, special build type order is generally illegal in most states. With tight supplies on the other hand, the MFG with a tight supply would like to see deposits in an attempt to get the product to initially serious buyers where again initially dealer floor inventory takes second place.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    Some of the bicycle companies are going consumer direct. The person orders their bike direct. It is sent to an authorized dealer. The dealer assembles the bike, getting the assigned fee. The shop may or may not sell and install accessories the customer pays to buy and pays to have installed.

This all sounds really good on paper and from a corporate standpoint. Unfortunately, as often happens, the customer purchases incorrectly. The customer then expects the local dealer to correct the mistake by swapping their new just purchased incorrectly fit bike for a bike off the dealers showroom floor. Dealers will not do this. They knew what to order and carry the overhead. The customer then must contend with how the bike is returned and a replacement handled.

Yes it can get ugly.

As for Carvana, my wife works for a very large nationwide dealer only auction company. A while back they were concerned about Carvana, maybe they still are, but it is not brought up. Reading recent internet topics, Carvana may be struggling now as dealers are getting some inventory.

Spyder Garage

When no one buys their electric cars and bikes and companies start to go in the red, Watch how fast the value of used gas powered vehicles go up , they will change back to gas powered cars and bikes fast.

Just my 2 cents

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    All good information above. At this point, I have to say that I am in agreement with every post.

I don't even have to bang the drum for "it's too early, where is the infrastructure?"
    I agree with you WHERE IS THE INFRASTRUCTURE?????

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I work with a power company, the infrastructure ( GRID) can not support it if everyone in the USA had an electric vehicle . Look what happened in Texas and California . The California grid is very fragile, houses were sold depending on what part of the grid you were in. And they were telling electric car owners not to charge their cars during the day.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

Another consideration for dealers to keep their inventory low is the rising interest rates for floor planning.
    Personally, I will never buy a car/bike without a test ride. More than 1 dealer has lost my business for that reason alone.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Most Mfg's will give 30 days of free flooring. Don't know about Can Am, but most Mfg's/Distributors will give extended flooring for issues, again, don't have a clue about Can Am.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    When no one buys their electric cars and bikes and companies start to go in the red, Watch how fast the value of used gas powered vehicles go up , they will change back to gas powered cars and bikes fast.

Just my 2 cents
    And the truth about lithium mines effecting the environment as they learn more.
    On a side note, many of the motorcycle manufacturers gave up on two strokes, not all but many. Now 20 years of high performance 4 stroke off road race bikes, the two strokes which supposedly were dead, have been refined are making a huge comeback with consumers. Not only do consumers want the simpler design and less weight, but the performance is incredible.

That said, electric cars may be around for a while, but it seems any money saved by owners, best be saved for replacement batteries.

Spyder Garage

For the last couple of years, dealers in and around Austin have had only one or maybe two Spyders on the showroom floor at any given time, usually one RTL, or one F3L, sometimes both. Have not seen a Ryker.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic