Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Go to any forum on any product and you will hear similar stories. If you go by what you find on forums. You won't own anything more complex than a hammer. Even those may have issues. The huge majority of people have a reasonably trouble free Spyder/Ryker. We all have something to complain about. Some complaints more worthy than others.

Perfection is reserved for the next life.
    Amen to that. I have a Moto Guzzi that I like a lot and my wife drives a Honda Pilot which she also likes a lot. Go to those forums and read for a half hour and you would never buy either one.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Sorry to say I don't think it works like that, unless the dealer likes doing work for free!!! I have a friend that owns a dealership, and he has to clear all warranty work threw the company and has to ship some of the used parts back for inspection at times! And to get a company to own up to a defect, hang on it would have to kill someone before that will happen.
    Sorry you are saying that. It clearly depends on the franchise. With a quality product like BMW and others, there is no incentive what so ever for the Tech or dealership to NOT do warranty work. A good experienced Tech can often beat Flat Rate with no come backs.

PS, I agree 100% with BajaRon.
    Last edited by old Timer; 10-13-2022 at 09:49 AM.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rick28 View Post
    Where are these fuse boxes located on the 20 and up RT models so we all can check them !!
    The fuse boxes are located within the frunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL Chrome, Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post
    I had water in both fuse boxes of my 2021 RTL after washing. Was your dealer able to determine how water is getting into the fuse boxes?
    So what defect caused your water infiltration?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by agrimm01 View Post
    I had water in both fuse boxes of my 2021 RTL after washing. Was your dealer able to determine how water is getting into the fuse boxes?
    agrimm01,
    The dealer has to my knowledge has not determined the entry point and I doubt they have looked any closer than what I showed them when dropping it off for the warranty claim as the picture attached to the original post seems to indicate.
    I suspect they are unwilling to take off the shiny bits or as I like to say "Open Pandora's box" without confirmation of funding no matter if it comes from my pocket or the manufacturer pays the minimum for said repair/investigation. Dealerships don't seem to want to be an advocate for their customers in most cases once they get the initial sales, nor are they willing to do any work without guarantee of some payment for that service. I find it really sad that both manufacturer and dealership were happy to share my $30,000+ for a product with a fault, yet neither are willing to stand behind the customer when a fault rears its ugly head. Should I be able to get a root cause I will gladly pass that info along, especially if I can help others.

I hope that I am making positive headway here due to the helpful suggestions posted by the lovely people visiting my thread. My claim is being escalated to the Customer care team at corporate for further assistance.

I want to again thank everyone for the positive feedback and suggestions, they have made an impact as well as comforted me to some extent.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2022 at 09:26 PM. Reason: mater (mother) - matter (material substance) ;-)
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala

Spyder Garage

Had similar problem on 2014 RTL
    Here’s the thread from the issue:
    https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...light=Fuse+box
    Greg
    2015 RT Limited (White)

Spyder Garage

Does water get in by getting in the front trunk or is there a way it getting in from the back I will have to look at mine when I am healed up a little from back surgery. How do you think the water is getting there into that area to get the fuse boxes. I have. 2020 RTL. THANKS

Spyder Garage

Hate to say it guys and gales but I think this one's going to be a DYI fix the last thing BRP's going to want to do is admit they should have put some calking behind the fuse boxes of hundreds of machines, or wherever the waters coming from!! Anyone that's had this problem, I got ask, is your frunk getting wet?
    2012 RTL , Pearl

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Water in Fuse Boxes???

...I have read all of the posts and still no solid answers. Just a lot of questions. It seems that someone who has this problem would be able to get help from a Spyder Dealer. I hope that this issue will be resolved soon.

One thing I have learned, is to avoid getting upset with anyone. You need to carefully try and talk to your Spyder Dealer Service Manager. Also contact BRP.

Hopefully we can get some good information and some good help.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I believe sealing the fuse boxes tight creates more of a problem should water find its way in. IMO once in, water has no way to drain out so the boxes can't dry out and the corrosion begins. I was into the fuse boxes on my new '22 and noticed moisture on the inside of one cover . I belive moisture got in from it sitting in the dealer's back area while being assembled and rain water got in. I drilled a couple of 3/16 holes in the bottom of the cover as drains for that reason.. Moisture will wreak havoc if not allowed to escape the box and to dry out. Not telling anyone to do that, It's just what I did..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-14-2022 at 01:59 PM. Reason: ' 's, 's, & caps %-)
    2022 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

This may seem silly, but with such easy access to remove the two fuse box covers, why aren’t more folks inspecting for water intrusion.

FWIW, the foamy gaskets are a self sticking joke. On our 2014, I found the 2 cent gasket had moved out of position and easily, water could enter the fuse boxes. The fix was replacing the sealing gaskets with a true rubber seal vs the oem foam.

Spyder Garage

Friend of mine had a 2019 RT Limited with less about 5K miles on it when he noticed standing water in the frunk. Took him 2 or 3 trips to his dealer to get them to fix it (under warranty).

To the OP here, IMHO, a motorcycle or any other piece of outdoor equipment that is intended to be used and parked outside should not have water getting into anything, especially into a critical electrical area. This is a warranty & safety issue and BRP ought to be very concerned because this could potentially do harm to the rider and others on the road. I would escalate this until I got results from BRP.

BRP chose the location of the battery and fuse blocks and if water is getting into either area it is not the owner/riders responsibility to fix. Most motorcycles have the batteries and electrical components up high under the seats for this very reason.

Having said all of the above, it sounds to me like water is trickling down from above and finding its way into those fuse blocks or there is a hole/crack in the fuse block box allowing water to get in. Still not something a rider/owner should have to deal with on a brand new Spyder. Shame on the dealer and BRP for not stepping up on this.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

Treekiller, every minute you wait expecting BRP to warranty this, your fuse box and wires are corroding. Entirely your choice, but I would accomplish drying and preserving those fuse boxes by spraying with a water displacing and corrosion preventing compound. Some may suggest WD40, but I would use something a bit better. Should be under $10 and take 5 minutes to accomplish.

Spyder Garage

Last edited by GoNoGo; 11-01-2022 at 09:59 PM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

My 2018 had a frunk with about 3 inches of water in it after a particularly nasty 36 hours of rain while parked on a trip through the Smokies. A buddy who was on the trip and owned the same RTL suggested it was a poorly seated gasket on the fuse box and, sure enough, it is what it was. Dealer had just changed over my headlights and fogs to LEDs shortly before the trip. They reseated the gasket, cleaned up and inspected the fuse box, and no problems since. Once again, a cheapo part that can have catastrophic impact on a $35,000 machine.

You can't get there from here....

Mods and Tweaks:
    Showcrome Trunk Rack
    Showcrome LED Trunk Light
    Garmin 390LM
    Spyderzone Floating Hiway Boards
    Spyderzone Mount Dash Bracket
    BajaRon Antisway Bar
    Showcrome full-size brake pedal
    Spyder-2-Go Driver Cup holder
    Ram X phone mount
    SpyderExtras 12 volt Docking Station
    BRP Driver Backrest
    Monster 4K Action Camera
    Spyderzone LED Fender Mount Spotlights
    CASA LED Headlights and Foglights
    2018 RT Limited , Ashphalt Metallic

Spyder Garage

As a fellow 21 RT owner.
    How did the dealer explain how the water get in the fuse box?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Wasn't there a TSB on this back a fair while (2013/14 or maybe 15??) I have a vague recollection that BRP told everyone it might be an issue &/or provided a different gasket for the fuse boxes/did some other fix?!?

However, if that IS the case & BRP are aware it could be an issue, & your Spyder hasn't had the suggested/mandated remedial work done, then I don't think they've got a leg to stand on as far as denying the claim - they certainly wouldn't here in Oz!! Known issue that they've suggested/provided a fix for that hasn't been done to your bike, then it's up to them to prove that you elected not to have it done....

Can anyone else remember what happened re the 'Water in Fuse Box' issues way back whenever?!? Or is it just my Forgetory??
    Yes this was an issue with the 2013 MY, my 2013 RTL was fixed under warranty.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For people asking how water gets in the fuse box, be aware, there are 2 covers on the fuse box. The first cover in the frunk simply keeps water out of the frunk and has a foam gasket. It has nothing to do with keeping water out of the fuse boxes. The second cover is actually on the fuse box. It is sealed with a yellow silicone gasket, but the cover must be fully seated (you should hear 2 clicks). Grease, vaseline, or dielectric grease can be added to the yellow gasket to help with the seal. You must be sure that cover is fully secured or water will get in no matter what.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Joel The Biker View Post
    For people asking how water gets in the fuse box, be aware, there are 2 covers on the fuse box. The first cover in the frunk simply keeps water out of the frunk and has a foam gasket. It has nothing to do with keeping water out of the fuse boxes. The second cover is actually on the fuse box. It is sealed with a yellow silicone gasket, but the cover must be fully seated (you should hear 2 clicks). Grease, vaseline, or dielectric grease can be added to the yellow gasket to help with the seal. You must be sure that cover is fully secured or water will get in no matter what.
    Yes, two covers per fuse box. Need to go back and check if I modified the frunk covers or fuse box covers.

Spyder Garage

Here are two pictures of the right outer (frunk water protector) fuse cover from my Spyder with the poor stick-on gasket. Both left and right outer covers look identical and the pictures show them exactly as they came from the factory in 2014 -- a very sloppy assembly job. My inner covers however, have done the job protecting the fuses and relays and the Spyder has in its history substantial hours/miles frog strangling rain storms. BRP obviously thought far enough ahead to use a double cap system to prevent us poor shlubs from having to remove the frunk just to check/replace fuses. IMO, Treekiller has every good reason to file a safety complaint against BRP with NHTSA.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default what he says ..

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    This is bad. The water was green because it contained copper and organic compounds, indicating advanced damage.

I recommend removing the frunk; removing and inspecting all relays and fuses; mechanically cleaning (no abrasives) all contacts (for relays and fuses this is easy, not so much for the block); reinstalling the relays and fuses; and then conducting a stationary end-to-end systems test.

I think BRP uses sealed ATC fuses for the F-series rather than open ATO fuses. If they are ATOs then replace them. And I'm thinking the J-series are open -- if so replace them. The relays should all be sealed so no replacement needed.

For cleaning sprays, I recommend the cheaper CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner for initial cleaning followed by Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT for final cleaning and lubrication of the contacts.

The relay/fuse blocks are the environmentally weak part of the Spyder electrical system. Most of the rest has excellent sealing protection.

Best wishes.
    then apply silicone dielectric grease to all connections for protection.....diy no problem

Spyder Garage

I have a 21 RT.
    Took outer covers off.Yep little water in each.
    Inner one's look ok.
    Would a good shot of contact cleaner on the fuses(electronic ) help to keep the moisture out?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sgerksinwi View Post
    Would a good shot of contact cleaner on the fuses(electronic ) help to keep the moisture out?
    No sir. Contact cleaner is made to evaporate away to nothing. It evaporates grease and oil but leaves no protective film behind. There are some cleaners out there that claim to be somewhat corrosion protective but defeat the purpose in my opinion. CRC QD (which is one of the best) makes no such claim.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    No sir. Contact cleaner is made to evaporate away to nothing. It evaporates grease and oil but leaves no protective film behind. There are some cleaners out there that claim to be somewhat corrosion protective but defeat the purpose in my opinion. CRC QD (which is one of the best) makes no such claim.
    Agree, contact cleaner, while often recommended here in Spyderlovers posts, many times is a poor choice, even a harmful choice for the application. The product,you sgerksinwi, should search for, would be designed for electrical components, but is water displacing and leaves an anti corrosion coating. No doubt a multitude of readily or even locally available products exist at reasonable cost. As a possible super easy to find product, WD40 used with care can be effective.
    Last edited by PMK; 10-27-2022 at 05:23 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sgerksinwi View Post
    I have a 21 RT.
    Took outer covers off.Yep little water in each.
    Inner one's look ok.
    As long as your inner covers are dry, you are OK. The outer covers are exposed to the elements. If you remove the outer covers in the trunk, you can actually reach in through the suspension opening and into the frunk next to the fuse box. Most people don't realize this. I remove those covers to help route wires to the battery.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green