Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP denies warranty claim on water in fuse box - any ideas on next steps?

Looking for help from those smarter than me.

I have a 2021 RT Limited Purchased 6/15/2021 (Build date 05/2020), driven a total of 2,020 miles that had water infiltration into the right side fuse box (from the seated rider position). The water infiltration caused the fuses to corrode and on 9/14/2022 while returning from a visit to a local bike night event, all lights went out as well as the cooling fan. Almost rear ended stopping for a traffic light in a very well light intersection and a kind passer by flagged us down to inform us we had no lights as well. I pulled into the nearest safe stopping location and gathered myself while trying to diagnose the issue. Eventually I got to opening the fuse boxes and found the fuse box to have more than a tablespoon of water in it. This green water dripped all over the frunk of coarse.
    After a bit of a struggle I was able to get two of the Pink 30 amp fuses out and get the bike home safely. After waiting a few weeks unable to ride the thing for fear of a fire or another failure; I got it to the dealership who in turn opened a case with BRP.
    BRP turned around and denied the warranty claim.
    I was curious if anyone has had to deal with this recently and what my next steps may be? I reached out to BRP and was told that a warranty claim that is denied is non-negotiable and they were unwilling to even attempt to work things out. I have since opened a safety claim with the NHTSA and the BBB seeing as BRP seems to not want to cover their flaw. The dealership has quoted $2520 to repair. NOT COOL BRP, not cool!

I remind you this vehicle has been garage kept, driven in the rain once last September and has been bathed twice in its life (I suspect the later was where the water came from). I find it hard to believe that I can't wash or ride the vehicle in the rain.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Treekiller; 10-12-2022 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly mention purpose.... ;-)
    2021 RT Limited , Deep Marsala

Spyder Garage

A very dicey situation. No way to prove that it's a flaw in design unless you can duplicate the problem in a way that would demonstrate a factory defect. Very unfortunate. But I'm not sure you need $2,500.00 worth of work to make it right. If simply putting in new fuses got your lights back. You may be able to clean up all the contacts and be good to go.

I hope you can get it worked out with a minimum amount of effort.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.
    My fear is that a simple fix such as replacing fuses doesn’t correct the root cause and would just lead to a reoccurring situation should the vehicle get wet again. If I dig deeper and try to seal the water ingress, well then I may just void any warranty claim in the future. Not sure why BRP chooses not to fix when the potential for fire or injury is great here.

Again thanks for the kind reply, truly appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Wasn't there a TSB on this back a fair while (2013/14 or maybe 15??) I have a vague recollection that BRP told everyone it might be an issue &/or provided a different gasket for the fuse boxes/did some other fix?!?

However, if that IS the case & BRP are aware it could be an issue, & your Spyder hasn't had the suggested/mandated remedial work done, then I don't think they've got a leg to stand on as far as denying the claim - they certainly wouldn't here in Oz!! Known issue that they've suggested/provided a fix for that hasn't been done to your bike, then it's up to them to prove that you elected not to have it done....

Can anyone else remember what happened re the 'Water in Fuse Box' issues way back whenever?!? Or is it just my Forgetory??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2022 at 09:12 PM. Reason: it - if + 'wark' :p
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What was the reason that BRP denied the claim? Was it because you caused the water to get in the box? Would speak to higher management at your dealer. If that doesn’t bear fruit, contact BRP Customer Relations and schedule an appointment with their Field Service Representative. I don’t know what the rep is called. District Service Manager??? Make the appointment at another dealer. The one you have didn’t step up to repair your trike. Did you do your service with this dealer. If so they really didn’t step up. I know car dealers get a Goodwill budget from the manufacturers for repairs that are just out of warranty or questionable. Don’t know if it the same with Motorcycle Dealers. There is a member here who used to own a BMW Motorcycle Dealer. Hopefully he will see your post and contribute his opinion.
    2015 F3S SE6

Spyder Garage

What is the dealership wanting to do for $2500? Possibly replace the fuse box and part of the wiring harness? If so what is their reason for replacing the fuse box? Is it damaged or compromised such as a defective seal around the lid? If there was prior damage that could have occurred during the building or prepping phases then that's not your fault. Be interesting to know what the dealership found or if they found anything at all other than a price to repair. The water obviously found its way in somehow. Find that issue and it would give you a better leg to stand on in your case.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Navydad, you are pretty much spot on. They want to replace the harness with fuse box and other than the attached picture really haven’t even opened Pandora’s box ,if you get my meaning. I get the feeling they haven’t removed a panel to investigate at this point. I really need to approach a different dealer I think as this is the selling dealer and the only one in my area, I would need to travel over an hour to get to the next dealership.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation This is bad

This green water dripped all over the frunk of coarse.
    This is bad. The water was green because it contained copper and organic compounds, indicating advanced damage.

I recommend removing the frunk; removing and inspecting all relays and fuses; mechanically cleaning (no abrasives) all contacts (for relays and fuses this is easy, not so much for the block); reinstalling the relays and fuses; and then conducting a stationary end-to-end systems test.

I think BRP uses sealed ATC fuses for the F-series rather than open ATO fuses. If they are ATOs then replace them. And I'm thinking the J-series are open -- if so replace them. The relays should all be sealed so no replacement needed.

For cleaning sprays, I recommend the cheaper CRC 5103 Quick Dry Electronic Cleaner for initial cleaning followed by Hosa D5S-6 CAIG DeoxIT for final cleaning and lubrication of the contacts.

The relay/fuse blocks are the environmentally weak part of the Spyder electrical system. Most of the rest has excellent sealing protection.

Best wishes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Tourer, BRP called and left a message saying the warranty claim was denied because the fuse box was exposed to water, then closed the case.
    Last edited by Treekiller; 10-12-2022 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Spyder Garage

BRP strikes again.

Personally, I expect better customer service from a company that has no problem taking $30K for these machines.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Wasn't there a TSB on this back a fair while (2013/14 or maybe 15??) I have a vague recollection that BRP told everyone it might be an issue &/or provided a different gasket for the fuse boxes/did some other fix?!?

Can anyone else remember what happened re the 'Water in Fuse Box' issues way back whenever?!? Or is it just my Forgetory??
    Well, since you asked, here is the bulletin. Not sure if it applies to this situation, but it will close the loop on your question, and may provide an area to investigate.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h1O...ew?usp=sharing

And BTW Treekiller - all references to right or left are always from the point of view of the rider as seated in the seat. So, you might want to start referring to this - at least in official communications - as the Left Fuse Box. And I agree with the rest - unless you bathed your Spyder with a pressure washer, the bases for the warranty claim is WHY was, and correct the cause of, the fuse box being exposed to water.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Thank yo all for the responses. And forgive the error in posting the location. I realized after posting that it is usual to post location in relation to the seated rider. Been an upsetting day for sure here and I guess my haste to look for help added to my error while posting. For clarification this would be the right fuse box in this case (from the point of view of the seated rider). I have corrected the original post.
    Never used a power washer of any kind as the paint is delicate to normal touching and don’t think there is a need when bathing.

Again thank you all for your kind replies.
    Last edited by Treekiller; 10-12-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Stories like this just add more nails to the coffin I'm about to close on my ownership of any BRP product.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-12-2022 at 09:10 PM. Reason: to ;-)

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Seems there may be a small fight with the manufacturer over this. Yes, I recall when that bulletin was released. Believe some units required replacement wire harnesses due to corrosion. Good luck. Tell the dealer they are at fault since they knocked the covers loose while assembling and setting up the Spyder.

Other folks should consider inspecting the low quality foam gaskets. We never had water ingress since I noticed the failing gaskets before anything got wet. Removed those junk oem gaskets and installed gasket that truly seal the fuseboxes water tight at the cover.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Treekiller View Post
    Tourer, BRP called and left a message saying the warranty claim was denied because the fuse box was exposed to water, then closed the case.
    If you are not aware of any way your relatively new/low milage Spyder could've ever been 'exposed to water' other than normal low pressure bike washing & ryding in the rain ONCE, then you might want to try sending a comprehensive description of this, expanding upon how new your Spyder is, what it's done, how it's been cared for, & how this saga has unfolded/exactly what's occurred (maybe highlighting the similarities to the situation prompting the TSB mentioned above??) via PM to BRPcare here on the Forum (that's their username ) or you could send them an email at brp.care@brp.com You'll never know unless you ask, but if you cut out what sounds to be a 'less than helpful' dealer to tell your story direct, ie. putting your un-enmbellished & polite case to them directly, without any dealer emotion or pre-conceptions to colour it; you juuust might shine a slightly different light onto the the issue for them, and maybe that'll help your case.... But as I said, you'll never know unless you ask!

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I would not waste the time using a Spyderlovers PM to BRPCare, the last time BRPCare visited Spyderlovers.com was May 7, 2020.

You could try the email thing, but typically, if you get a reply, the mother ship of BRP tells everyone to take it to a dealer.

Your fight is with the dealer to convince them that BRP is in error and must correct this issue. You are quickly learning just how a dealer can make or break the fun of a Spyder after the sale. If you have a family relative or friend that is a lawyer, have them draft a nice letter to help smooth this for you.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the reply.
    My fear is that a simple fix such as replacing fuses doesn’t correct the root cause and would just lead to a reoccurring situation should the vehicle get wet again. If I dig deeper and try to seal the water ingress, well then I may just void any warranty claim in the future. Not sure why BRP chooses not to fix when the potential for fire or injury is great here.

Again thanks for the kind reply, truly appreciated.
    I agree that long term. it is important to discover how the water got in to begin with. But this also points out that replacing everything isn't going to 'Fix' the problem either. It would just be a waste of $2,500.00 as you waited for it to happen again. It is unfortunate that BRP simply closed the door on you with no real solution.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Stories like this just add more nails to the coffin I'm about to close on my ownership of any BRP product.
    Oh, don't think for one minute that BRP is the only company out there doing this kind of business! I think the dealer is as much to blame as BRP!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    I would not waste the time using a Spyderlovers PM to BRPCare, the last time BRPCare visited Spyderlovers.com was May 7, 2020.

That may be true, but their profile is set up so that they get an email notification whenever a PM is received; and there are a few members here who have successfully had their issue &/or case reviewed as a result of sending a PM &/or an email since BRPcare's last activity on the Forum.....

So yeah, it might not help a heap to send a PM or an email, but Treekiller, you can be absobloodylutely sure of ONE thing, and that is if you don't at least TRY, you won't ever know if sending a PM or an email may have helped or not!

Or you can just decide it's all too hard &/or assume the answer's gonna be negative anyway, so not bother trying anything.... . But if that's the case, then why bother with this thread to start with...

Just Sayin' (again ) You'll never know unless you ask/try!

So don't be scared of giving it a shot, even if you don't pin your highest hopes on it being all that successful... After all, someone who may or may not have been famous at the time &/or later once said, and has been quoted & paraphrased ever since -

"The only time you truly FAIL, is the time you don't even TRY!"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-13-2022 at 06:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Looking for help from those smarter than me.

I have a 2021 RT Limited Purchased 6/15/2021 (Build date 05/2020), driven a total of 2,020 miles that had water infiltration into the right side fuse box (from the seated rider position). The water infiltration caused the fuses to corrode and on 9/14/2022 while returning from a visit to a local bike night event, all lights went out as well as the cooling fan. Almost rear ended stopping for a traffic light in a very well light intersection and a kind passer by flagged us down to inform us we had no lights as well. I pulled into the nearest safe stopping location and gathered myself while trying to diagnose the issue. Eventually I got to opening the fuse boxes and found the fuse box to have more than a tablespoon of water in it. This green water dripped all over the frunk of coarse.
    After a bit of a struggle I was able to get two of the Pink 30 amp fuses out and get the bike home safely. After waiting a few weeks unable to ride the thing for fear of a fire or another failure; I got it to the dealership who in turn opened a case with BRP.
    BRP turned around and denied the warranty claim.
    I was curious if anyone has had to deal with this recently and what my next steps may be? I reached out to BRP and was told that a warranty claim that is denied is non-negotiable and they were unwilling to even attempt to work things out. I have since opened a safety claim with the NHTSA and the BBB seeing as BRP seems to not want to cover their flaw. The dealership has quoted $2520 to repair. NOT COOL BRP, not cool!

I remind you this vehicle has been garage kept, driven in the rain once last September and has been bathed twice in its life (I suspect the later was where the water came from). I find it hard to believe that I can't wash or ride the vehicle in the rain.
    I had water in both fuse boxes of my 2021 RTL after washing. Was your dealer able to determine how water is getting into the fuse boxes?
    2021 RTL Chrome, Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    What was the reason that BRP denied the claim? Was it because you caused the water to get in the box? Would speak to higher management at your dealer. If that doesn’t bear fruit, contact BRP Customer Relations and schedule an appointment with their Field Service Representative. I don’t know what the rep is called. District Service Manager??? Make the appointment at another dealer. The one you have didn’t step up to repair your trike. Did you do your service with this dealer. If so they really didn’t step up. I know car dealers get a Goodwill budget from the manufacturers for repairs that are just out of warranty or questionable. Don’t know if it the same with Motorcycle Dealers. There is a member here who used to own a BMW Motorcycle Dealer. Hopefully he will see your post and contribute his opinion.
    True statement, Tourer. With BMW, the Service Mgr of the dealership has authority to determine whether to cover by warranty up to a certain amount and if required for a higher amount it gets OKed by the distributor or importer. BMW pays the dealer their posted labor rate based on the Flat Rate manual for the project, they also pay the dealer full retail for required parts.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Where are these fuse boxes located on the 20 and up RT models so we all can check them !!
    2022 Spyder RTL

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Wow, sorry to hear this. With stories like this, my older model spyders (2016) are looking better all the time. I have been thinking about upgrading, but this might not be a good idea.
    On a side note, I currently have 2 spyders, 1 BMW motorcycle, 1 SUV, and my 2017 ford mustang, all waiting for parts for a recall. Seems like no one can get things right the first time.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    Go to any forum on any product and you will hear similar stories. If you go by what you find on forums. You won't own anything more complex than a hammer. Even those may have issues. The huge majority of people have a reasonably trouble free Spyder/Ryker. We all have something to complain about. Some complaints more worthy than others.

Perfection is reserved for the next life.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    True statement, Tourer. With BMW, the Service Mgr of the dealership has authority to determine whether to cover by warranty up to a certain amount and if required for a higher amount it gets OKed by the distributor or importer. BMW pays the dealer their posted labor rate based on the Flat Rate manual for the project, they also pay the dealer full retail for required parts.
    Sorry to say I don't think it works like that, unless the dealer likes doing work for free!!! I have a friend that owns a dealership, and he has to clear all warranty work threw the company and has to ship some of the used parts back for inspection at times! And to get a company to own up to a defect, hang on it would have to kill someone before that will happen.
    2012 RTL , Pearl