Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Time to make a decision - will I regret upgrading to 2021 RT Ltd?

I have been in the spyder game for about 8 years now. Started off with a 2014 RT after having an accident on my 2 wheeler. I loved the bike, but since I ride 95% of the time solo, I always wanted a way to take the top trunk off. I picked up a 2012 RSS on a whim because I wanted something a little sportier to ride, and it seemed to fit the bill. I only kept it for about 6 months. I loved it, but the heat was a bit much. I decided to sell my 2014 RT and traded my 2012 RSS for a 2016 F3T. That seemed to have the best of both worlds. I logged in almost 28k miles on that bike, but eventually came across a deal on a 2016 F3 Limited Special edition. This is my current bike, and I love it. Since my 7 months of ownership, I have logged in over 6k miles. The 2020 and up RT has really interested me because it appears to give me back the storage space that the F3 series lack, and I can still remove the top case for the more sporty look. I got a chance to test ride one for about 30 miles and it felt silky smooth, but didn't seem to have the power of my F3T or the current F3 Limited. It ran good up top, but the initial starting thrust was lacking. I might have an opportunity to pick up a 2021 RT Limited with about 500 miles at a great price. I am just wondering if I will regret making the change. I know no one can answer the question but me, but I am wondering if anyone has made the move to the newer RT series, from any of the F3 platforms, and what are your experiences?
    Here is a picture portfolio of my spyder history, and the 2021 that I might aquire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

While I like my 2020 RTL as it is, a lot of people that have expressed the lack of start-off power have either installed the pedal commander or pedal box and love them now.

I came across a used rear cover for mine at a great price so I purchased it thinking that I would use it when riding by myself but have found that I really have never used it. It's just a personal cosmetic thing that only you can work out.
    Would I sell mine? Nope, I'll keep it just in case the bug bites again.

(PS, I still like the red one that we came and looked at, nice bike)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I am just wondering if I will regret making the change. I know no one can answer the question but me, but I am wondering if anyone has made the move to the newer RT series, from any of the F3 platforms, and what are your experiences?
    I had a 2010 RTS and a 2014 RTS.
    I upgraded to the 2020 RT Limited.
    I am very pleased. Very pleased indeed.
    May I make an unsolicited suggestion?
    Why are you looking at the Limited edition? You can get the RT standard edition without the trunk and save yourself some money.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the 2020 RT Base (no top case). I have no problem keeping up with my spirited 2-wheel pals. If you're concerned about performance, relax. You can solve the 'sluggish' take-off with a Pedal Commander/Pedal Box. If that doesn't satisfy you, a tuner is an easy add.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I haven't owned the F3, but I have taken a ride on 1. If your goal is to simply add storage capacity, why not just add a saddle bags, a case, or strap a bag on the F3? Maybe move back to the newer F3T or F3L and save some $ over getting the RT/RTL...? I believe both the 20+ F3T and F3L have the ability to use the linq system.

I like my RT Base with added top case. I have never taken the top case off. I like the extra speakers
    Also, if you do move to the newer RT/RTL with top case and want to remove it for the "sporty" look, you'll also have to buy the color match plate that goes overs the back once the top case is removed. Otherwise, you'll just see the black connection plate after removing the top case. I wouldn't say it's ugly like that, but it isn't a seamless look.

As mentioned by K80, pedal commander/box might give you that starting umph
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Why are you looking at the Limited edition? You can get the RT standard edition without the trunk and save yourself some money.
    The RT Limited that I have found is at a price about $2k less than any base RT that I have been able to find. It is owned by someone who just doesn't ride it, and is possibly looking to sell real soon. We actually had a deal in July, but her boyfriend convinced her to keep it. She text me this week and said she is considering selling it again and I would have first chance.
    As for those suggesting the pedal commander, yes, I am very aware of what they can do. I had one on my F3T and moved it to my F3 Limited. They are definitely great. But the larger rear sprocket on my current models also makes a difference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    (PS, I still like the red one that we came and looked at, nice bike)
    Thanks. I do still have a red F3T in the family. It is set up for my 5'-2" wife, but I still ride it out for her whenever it needs gas or (like today) or for a vehicle inspection.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    The RT Limited that I have found is at a price about $2k less than any base RT that I have been able to find. It is owned by someone who just doesn't ride it, and is possibly looking to sell real soon. We actually had a deal in July, but her boyfriend convinced her to keep it. She text me this week and said she is considering selling it again and I would have first chance.
    As for those suggesting the pedal commander, yes, I am very aware of what they can do. I had one on my F3T and moved it to my F3 Limited. They are definitely great. But the larger rear sprocket on my current models also makes a difference.
    LARGER REAR SPROCKET...that was BRP's way of stepping up the performance EASILY

I'm still waiting, with a 89T Sprocket & Belt in stock for my 2014 RTS, FOR SOMEONE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THIS SPROCKET CHANGE HAPPEN...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    LARGER REAR SPROCKET...that was BRP's way of stepping up the performance EASILY

I'm still waiting, with a 89T Sprocket & Belt in stock for my 2014 RTS, FOR SOMEONE TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE THIS SPROCKET CHANGE HAPPEN...larryd
    Yep! It doesn't sound like much. But it is like the early Fox Body mustangs. They came with either 2.73 or 3.08 gears in the rear. But simply changing them to a 3.55 or 3.73 made a world of difference off the line, and didn't hurt gas milage. Same goes for the spyder. I averaged 36-38 mpg last week on our mountain trip. My buddy averaged about 35 mpg on his 2020 RT Limited.

Spyder Garage

Hey bud,
    I've had my 21 RTL for just about 2 years now. I agree that it is none too fast off the line or accelerating when you need to drop a gear. I installed the pedal commander and Holy ***** hold onto your hat. I completely agree with the above posts that this is a necessary add-on for the RTL. Storage is just what I needed for long days in the saddle and overnighters. I ordered the color matched cover for when I take the trunk off when I purchased the RTL. Only used it once. Save your money. Also, I find removing the trunk really effects the sound system and I really like my tunes on the road.
    Best wishes for a sound decision on your part.
    Glide-on>>>>>>>>
    GLIDE-ON>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Blue Belle" 2021 RTL Chrome in Petrol Blue
    2021 RTL Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Blacklightning, I did exactly what you are contemplating. I moved from a ‘16 F3-L to a ‘21 RT-L.
    The ‘16 F3-L had a stage 1 tune, Ron’s bar, and Wilbers shocks all round (the tune was primarily to eliminate the lag you can get with throttle response.) I was very happy with it.

The ‘21 RT is not as sporty looking as the F3, but as you noticed, it is way more refined than the pre ‘20 models. It still has the throttle lag, but I easily fixed that with a Pedal Commander this time. I am not a speed freak, but ride spiritedly when the mood takes me. I have to say that for me, the stock ‘21 RT handles as well as my F3 did with its Wilbers due to the configuration changes BRP made. I had always planned to put a stabiliser bar on as I prefer less body roll when cornering (and I have), but I only added Ikon shocks due to my size.

I run 80% of the time without the rear trunk as I prefer the sportier look and it is only a 5 minute job to pop it on for longer trips or a passenger.

I have no regrets in moving from the F3 to the RT. I have even grown used to having my feet more directly under me, to the point where I felt no need to use highway pegs on a recent 6 hour day, due to the long boards.

BUT……that is for MY riding style and preference……..only YOU can do the final analysis for YOU, unfortunately

Hope that helps,

Pete
    Last edited by Peteoz; 10-12-2022 at 03:03 PM.
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Backlighting: Dealer near me has a couple of '22 RT's without the trunk. I fell in lust just because it was newer, more seat room, long floorboards, and my fav color Silver. But then, like you, I worried if I sold my F3T , I might not like the RT as well. Finally got over the notion, I think, as the F3T suits me so well it simply doesn't make sense to let it go. Almost sounds like you have a deal too good to pass up.

Will be interested if anyone replies comparing the ride and comfort of the two.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post

Will be interested if anyone replies comparing the ride and comfort of the two.
    I thought I did that in the post before yours, ulflyer

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I have the 2020 RT Base (no top case). I have no problem keeping up with my spirited 2-wheel pals. If you're concerned about performance, relax. You can solve the 'sluggish' take-off with a Pedal Commander/Pedal Box. If that doesn't satisfy you, a tuner is an easy add.
    Totally agree! We specifically sought out the RT, less the "L" as we planned to always ride one up. No regrets, we both love our rides. There is ample storage and the ability to secure additional bags if needed. We both love the look of the smooth backside

Spyder Garage

Just go for it, you know you want it!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    I thought I did that in the post before yours, ulflyer

Pete
    Indeed you did: "the stock ‘21 RT handles as well as my F3 did"..........Now you are going to make me lust after the Silver '22 again. LOL
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Go for it! The comfort and storage far outweigh the performance piece. By far! We had a 17 F3T, and went to a 20 RT base, then added the top box.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default will I regret upgrading to a 2021 RT-L

I have both an F3-T and now a 2021 RT base with Ron's sway bar.
    The Rt is a plush ride and with the upgraded bar corners flatter than my F3-T.
    I find the RT to be a very tight and constricted riders triangle in comparison to the F=3, but it fits my 5 foot tall spouse very well. Like the way they have simplified panel removal. We have 33,000 and 11500 miles respectively on the F3 and the RT. If its a good deal go for it.

Al in Kazoo
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have the same f 3 you do it is my corvette and i also have a 21 rtl its is my cadillac my wife also has a 21rtl love them very comfortable and yet still sporty with a few up grades you will not be sorry

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAMJAM View Post
    Totally agree! We specifically sought out the RT, less the "L" as we planned to always ride one up. No regrets, we both love our rides. There is ample storage and the ability to secure additional bags if needed. We both love the look of the smooth backside
    Yeah, KAMJAM. If I am heading off on a multi day trip, and the weather looks “fair”, I usually pop my 80litre Kuryakyn roller bag, lying flat, on the back seat and leave the trunk at home. (When you’re a bigger lad, bags fill up very quickly ). If rain is scheduled then I’ll bite the bullet, pop the trunk on, and spread my gear over a couple of bags. I also like the “smooth backside” look…..wow, that sounds kinky …..

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Indeed you did: "the stock ‘21 RT handles as well as my F3 did"..........Now you are going to make me lust after the Silver '22 again. LOL
    Sorry Ulflyer ……. But it’s only money…….

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I have both an F3-T and now a 2021 RT base with Ron's sway bar.
    The Rt is a plush ride and with the upgraded bar corners flatter than my F3-T.
    I find the RT to be a very tight and constricted riders triangle in comparison to the F=3, but it fits my 5 foot tall spouse very well. Like the way they have simplified panel removal. We have 33,000 and 11500 miles respectively on the F3 and the RT. If its a good deal go for it.

Al in Kazoo
    Isn’t that interesting, Al. Sure, I had to get a bit more seat height from Daylong, and add Helibars to get a good wrist angle (but I was about to do that on my F3 anyway), and I am of the opinion that the RT is a more comfortable riders triangle for me, at 6’7” than the F3-L was…….and it also fits a 5 footer.

Simplify panel removal? Yep, you can get the painted panels off very easily, but those giant black panels underneath, if you want to get at belt dampeners, belt, shock etc etc, are a pain in the backside. (Ooooops, I’m talking about backsides again )
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I have both an F3 and an RTL (in different locations) and I think I very much prefer the F3 riding position over the RTL. I say “think” because I haven’t ridden the RTL in 6 months. I will be reunited with the RTL next month when we return to the desert for the winter and will be able to confirm one way or the other.

I’m not particularly tall at 6 feet but have 34” inseams and I find the RTL somewhat cramped even with highway pegs. My legs are splayed and not stretched out and my hips and knees get painful after an hour or two.

Just my $0.02 (Canadian) worth :-)
    2021 Spyder RT Limited (Palm Desert)
    Grey - dark edition

2015 Spyder F3 S (Vancouver)

2017 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterKelly View Post
    I’m not particularly tall at 6 feet but have 34” inseams and I find the RTL somewhat cramped even with highway pegs. My legs are splayed and not stretched out and my hips and knees get painful after an hour or two.
    Just my $0.02 (Canadian) worth :-)
    That’s interesting, Peter. I have a 38” inleg. I wonder if that extra length reduces leg splay, which is why I find my comfort better on the RT than it was on the F3.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

I went from a 2020 RTL to a 2022 F3 Limited Special. The Frunk is smaller than the RTL but the rear case is a little bigger so stowage wise I did not see any problems on long haul trips. I did purchase the filler panel for when I took off the rear case when I bought the RTL bike but only used it maybe two times because I got use to having that stowage handy. The F3 is sportier and more fun to ride, I think. With the side stowage along with the front and rear stowage, I don't miss the RTL.