Spyder Garage

Default Fog lights not always turning on, not the switch! Any ideas?

I have recently been having issues with the fog/driving lite option in which they sometimes turn on with the switch and more often, they do not unless I cycle the switch several times.

So, I figured maybe the switch was defective and needed replacement.

I also have some Tricled ring lites wired separately to an identical switch so I swapped wires and tried that, however, the driving lites still will not come on, so a defective switch is not the culprit.

Checked all fuses and did not find any blown units. All other bike functions work fine.

Anything else I can check on next?

2014 STS
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-09-2022 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't necessarily completely exclude the possibility that it still might be the switches - I scored THREE dud OEM multi-switches in a row for the Park Brake/Frunk Lid Release on my 2013 RT that all worked intermittently only on the Frunk Lid Release side! They ALWAYS worked the Park Brake; & just occasionally worked the Frunk Lid Release!

They all bench tested fine, but simply would not reliably work the Frunk Lid Release once installed, despite also testing the Solenoid and the earths repeatedly (they ALWAYS functioned too) & finding that the Release Solenoid ALWAYS worked if I used an a/mkt single-use switch instead of the OE switch - it was JUST the OE Switches & JUST that side of ANY OE switch that wouldn't reliably open the frunk! So the simple fix for me in this instance was to install a single-use a/mkt switch to activate the Frunk Lid Release! And it's worked fine reliably ever since!

So for you, while I wouldn't necessarily discount the switch or switches being the problem just yet, I'd suggest you check to make sure that you've got good earths for that lighting circuit/power supply; then check that all the wiring connections are good & tight and that none of them or the wires themselves are breaking contact when moved, shaken, or subject to road use type vibrations; and if it's not any of them, you could try a new OEM switch to see if that made any difference. If not then try an alternative a/mkt switch cos the OEM switches aren't always that great! And if all that fails, maybe you could try running a completely separate set of wires with fuse & switch to the lights, essentially just to see if that works reliably too; but maybe that's your solution in much the same way it was mine??

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Don’t forget the fogs only come on with engine running, the fender “marker” lights can come on without. Double checking plug connection at switch would help make sure nothing pinched underneath panel. ( vaguely remember not much room or slack)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Are the fog lights ran through a relay? Relays have been known to stick.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Well, I seem to have got things running again today. May have been the load shedding relay in the right fuse box. I was re-checking all fuses and relays and found that one slightly "not fully seated". Cleaned the terminals up a bit and made certain the thing was fully seated and tight. Also, pulled and cleaned up and tightened all other connectors associated with the switch and lights.

Did several engine start ups during panel reassembly and other bike maintenance and had them working every time, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that all is ok.

I am still gonna order a new switch and load shedding relay for back-up.
    2014 ST-S Cognac
    2014 ST-S , OEM Yes Cognac