Spyder Garage

Exclamation Code P0106 problem - any advice or fix info?

Hello. I don't know if this problem has been published before. If it has, please direct me to the thread.
    I own a Spyder 2018 F3-S and it has been a while since it started to light the warning light and the engine light and turns the engine off at idle when stopped. I took it to the dealer and was told that the problem was a CODE P0106 and that is a faulty pressure sensor that has to be replaced. Got the part replaced and same problem.
    Now I've been told that the Purge Valve has to be replaced. I ordered this part and it will be replaced next week.
    I feel that the dealer is guessing and is not really sure what the solution is.
    I would appreciate any advice if someone has had this same problem and anything on how can it be fixed. It is a terrible feeling when you stop at a red light and the engine suddenly turns off!!!
    Thanks in advance for any comment.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'What do I do?' question not a 'How To: DIY' guide & Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2018 F3s , Arc led DRL lights Brake rod pos 4 Black

Spyder Garage

Look here:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ighlight=p0106
    Post #4 explains p0106 and possible solutions.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

If you need/want anything more in the way of info than that in the thread linked above, simply type 'P0106' into the Search Field up in the Top Right of the page, then hit the Magnifying Glass symbol, then take your pick for some light reading!

Hope you get it sorted.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Unlikely to be MAPTS

turns the engine off at idle when stopped
    It is a terrible feeling when you stop at a red light and the engine suddenly turns off!!!
    Tell us more about your Spyder. Mileage. Service history including HCM filter and spark plugs. Driving conditions (dusty?). Has it been stored for long periods of time (rodents?). Has it lost power?

It's unlikely the MAPTS would cause the engine to turn off at idle. I'm thinking clogged air filter or fuel filter.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Look here:https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ighlight=p0106
    Post #4 explains p0106 and possible solutions.
    Thank you for a fast response.
    I will go to this thread.no
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2022 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    If you need/want anything more in the way of info than that in the thread linked above, simply type 'P0106' into the Search Field up in the Top Right of the page, then hit the Magnifying Glass symbol, then take your pick for some light reading!

Hope you get it sorted.
    Great!!
    Thanks for the advice!!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2022 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    Tell us more about your Spyder. Mileage. Service history including HCM filter and spark plugs. Driving conditions (dusty?). Has it been stored for long periods of time (rodents?). Has it lost power?

It's unlikely the MAPTS would cause the engine to turn off at idle. I'm thinking clogged air filter or fuel filter.
    I have put about 40k miles on my bike. Actually just finished a round trip from
    México to Alaska. Always on asphalt roads. I installed a K & N air filter and New sparkplugs at 35k miles.
    All services at the dealership on time as stated/published in the owners manual.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2022 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Fixed Quote Display; + stablished - stated/published

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Okay the easy fixes ain't gonna work, especially since the MAPTS was replaced and the engine is running well.

Basically P0106 is saying you have unmetered air. That is, air is getting into the intake manifold bypassing the throttle body's ability to control it. And the conflict with the MAPTS results in the ECM not knowing how much fuel to inject. So it leans out the engine into a stall. All I can suggest is examine the intake manifold to see if anything might have loosened when the air boxes were removed for the spark plug change and now has come completely disconnected. For instance the secondary air intake silencer plug (unlikely). More likely is the purge valve hose. Just block it off, preferably on the throttle body end (same amount of bodywork removal as oil change) and see if the stall goes away. If it does there are many posts on purge valve bypass.

PS I'm envious of your round trip. When are you going to do it again?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

If you haven't done a cannisterectomy yet, it may be a good time to do it and see if that purge valve's the gremlin in the closet!! It's a piece of cake to do and will eliminate a problem down the road! By any chance are you smelling gas around your bike when it's parked in the garage?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-06-2022 at 10:52 PM. Reason: cannectomy - cannisterectomy .... ;-)
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Thanks a lot for all this information, I am taking this post directly to the dealership to have everything you mention here properly checked.
    About the trip to Alaska, it was just great. 12,000 miles and one month and a half of a great time and, the Spyder is the best bike for the job.
    Actually, I am planing a trip from México to Argentina. Not shure I can make it but, I will sure try!!!

Spyder Garage

I will do that, it really makes sense.
    Now that you mention it, I do get some gasoline smell in the garage after I park the Spyder.
    Thank you very much.