Spyder Garage

Default Does a Driver Backrest make riding more comfortable?

Morning all - I searched through old threads and did not find what I was looking for. Does a driver backrest make riding more comfortable or help for long rides?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Absolutely does. I have one from Lamonster Garage. I've had one on all my bikes since the 1990's
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Morning all - I searched through old threads and did not find what I was looking for. Does a driver backrest make riding more comfortable or help for long rides?
    Thanks in advance
    Jim
    I started using a Utopia backrest decades ago when I moved on to touring bikes. So I've had quite a few. .... I wouldn't be without one ...... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    Thanks in advance
    Jim
    I gotta agree with the others.....I would not be riding today if I didn’t have a backrest. Mine is just the BRP one, and it works fine, FOR ME.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Agree with Brucie - one of the best add-ons.
    2019 F3 base
    Shad saddlebags with Admore led light kit
    BajaRon swaybar
    Hopnel mini bra
    BRP driver's backrest
    Madstad windshield
    Ultimate floorboards
    CanAm Spyder accessories rear shelf with LinQ adapter

Spyder Garage

I have taken many long trips on my F3-S. I have the Smooth Spyder backrest and would not be without it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimh View Post
    morning all - i searched through old threads and did not find what i was looking for. Does a driver backrest make riding more comfortable or help for long rides?
    Thanks in advance
    jim
    yes yes & yes !!!

Spyder Garage

Years ago I would have said that it did not make a difference. However that was before I ever had one. I have had them on my motorcycles for the past 20 years and loved them. There was one installed on my Spyder that I transitioned to two months ago and honestly if it had not been previously installed it would have been the first accessory I would have purchased.

Hope that helps
    John

Spyder Garage

If you're 19 with no back problems...... you might not need one, (Yet!) But... if you are asking, I would guess you have some sort of Back Pain........ and in that case....... Yesssssssss, it will be the best add on you can ask for.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Caps + ;-)
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had a back rest on a demo I had for a while, pulled it off. I also have a back issue.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh yes, no question.

Spyder Garage

For folks like me with artificial knees, its a real challenge to swing that leg over the seat to get on and off the bike if there is a rider's backrest. I find that I can ride for up to about 3 hurs pretty comfortably with the stock seat and a Bead Rider seat cover, but no backrest, so I can't say its essential (and i'm 60 years beyond age 19!).
    2021 Spyder RT
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vito1943 View Post
    For folks like me with artificial knees, its a real challenge to swing that leg over the seat to get on and off the bike if there is a rider's backrest. I find that I can ride for up to about 3 hurs pretty comfortably with the stock seat and a Bead Rider seat cover, but no backrest, so I can't say its essential (and i'm 60 years beyond age 19!).
    Well although I have the same issue ( @ 75 ) I have a Utopia backrest..... and it folds flat onto the drivers seat, I just pick it up after I standing on the floor boards ...... good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Never needed one nor wanted one. Thank goodness I've got a good back and core muscles at 75 years young. I would think it would get in the way during my spirited ryding when I'm hanging off to lower the center of gravity on the RT. Also, it would cause my wife some difficulty in mounting up.
    So, it seems I'm in the huge minority here about needing a backrest. BUT Thats OK.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Yes,They are essential. One of the things I like about the Utopia, besides the adjustability is that it folds forward so I don't have to lift my knee so High and it also makes it easier for my passenger to get on.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Yes,They are essential. One of the things I like about the Utopia, besides the adjustability is that it folds forward so I don't have to lift my knee so High and it also makes it easier for my passenger to get on.
    Same thing with my BRP backrest....folds forward.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Backrest is great for touring and relatively flat roads. Also helps planting lower torso in fast corners (before the need to lean).
    However, for me, when the roads become wavy/shaky side-to-side going straight (5% of time), I separate myself from the backrest and let the RT rattle & roll without yanking me around.
    So for me, the backrest is absolutely worth the addition.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Not for me. After trying a number of times on different loan bikes I found that at traffic lights and in other situations where I like to lay back with hands folded on my lap to rest while waiting, the back rest stops the relaxing.
    There is usually another way. 2020 F3Ltd.
    2020 F3 Ltd , Brake Pedel lowered. Liquid Titanium

Spyder Garage

Always rode with one on my Goldwing. Along with the passenger backrest, it was the first mod I made to my F3S. Without it on either bike, I get discomfort from my neck down through the shoulder blades. Although mine folds for easy passenger access, with the third pegs I can step over the seat with no problem. Obviously not for everyone, but essential for me.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

I haven’t installed a back rest yet on my 2021 RT Limited. Like you, i thought about installing one (Utopia) but that’s as far as it got (thinking about buying one). Instead, i figured I’d ride it for a spell just to see if i really needed one. So far I haven’t found the need for an additional back rest. I say additional because, the OEM saddle on my Spyder offers a generous amount of lower lumbar support, and although a little more support above the stock saddle would seem to be a welcomed addition, i just haven’t felt the need to add a back rest yet. My advice to you is wait a bit, put some time in your current saddle and see after a bit if you feel its needed

That said, I’m not trying to talk you out of installing a back rest rather, all I’m saying is give it some time riding w/o, before investing in one. I’ve used back rests on several motorbikes through the years and before you ask, yes!, i have constant lower back issues yet on this Spyder, so far, i just haven’t felt the need for fitting one yet

I should mention, all of my riding on this RT to date has been local riding, no long distance saddle time yet. I have a birthday coming up middle of next month and if I can get away, I’d like to ride down to Key West and look up some old friends. If i can swing this little excursion and feel the need for some more support on my back side, I’ll come back to your thread here and say whether I found a need to add additional back support

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

FIRST HOUR plus ride today with the sling mods backrest good googly moogly what a difference maker, now i know come monday when i head up to Cedar Key i won't be a cripple when i get there.
    i'm really looking forward to this mini vaca.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

Never needed one nor wanted one. Thank goodness I've got a good back and core muscles at 75 years young. I would think it would get in the way during my spirited ryding when I'm hanging off to lower the center of gravity on the RT. Also, it would cause my wife some difficulty in mounting up.
    So, it seems I'm in the huge minority here about needing a backrest. BUT Thats OK.

Lew L
    I agree with you. I’m a retired physical therapist, and I have to rank them with back braces. But, if the back rest makes it comfortable, can’t argue with that. As for back braces……….