Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Project RE-Key F3

I am finally part of the club again...I had a spyder before but i sold it a few years ago...we i just bought a 2019 spyder F3-T at auction...Well i have to do some work to it before I get to enjoy it....ANY input would be great on my question....I have NO, zero, ziltch keys for it...i knew this before buying so i am prepared to rekey the bike...well i spent most of the day on the phone and in person with several dealerships to figure out what parts i need....well i came to the conclusion know one really knows...BRP doesnt even sell a kit that would accommodate all the parts needed to the swap...anyone here know anything or anyone who could help me wrangle this in.

Someone suggested i get a key from the dealership and have it keyed by a locksmith then go back to the dealership to have it programmed into the DESS...no idea how that works but is this an option when i am starting out with no keys?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buy a new ignition switch and have it programmed to the bike with the new keys. Only the keys need to be programmed.

Spyder Garage

There are 2 ways to go about this.

The BRP prescribed way is to replace the ignition switch which will come with 2 new keys that can then be programmed to the bike. I will warn you that this is a LOT of work as you will have to drill out the old lock then disassemble.

The other way is to have a good lock smith cut a key to fit the existing lock cylinder. An Ilko X270 blank will work once cut. From there, have DESS turned off or have new keys programmed to bike. This way is much less work IF you have a lock smith capable of cutting a key to fit the lock. That's a big IF these days.

Either way will work without the old keys present.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    There are 2 ways to go about this.

The BRP prescribed way is to replace the ignition switch which will come with 2 new keys that can then be programmed to the bike. I will warn you that this is a LOT of work as you will have to drill out the old lock then disassemble.

The other way is to have a good lock smith cut a key to fit the existing lock cylinder. An Ilko X270 blank will work once cut. From there, have DESS turned off or have new keys programmed to bike. This way is much less work IF you have a lock smith capable of cutting a key to fit the lock. That's a big IF these days.

Either way will work without the old keys present.

i just got off the phone with the out of state dealership and they are swearing that option 2 does not work...I have no problem getting a set of new uncut oem keys and take to the locksmith to have them mechanically cut then take the spyder over to the dealership to get programmed...they said this will not work because they are claiming there is information in the ignition lock that is transmitted to the ecm to work and since the keys are not the ones which came with the lock originally it will not program. I am the lay man here and just repeating what i am being told...a lot going on here
    Last edited by hotairgypsy; 10-05-2022 at 01:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hotairgypsy View Post
    i just got off the phone with the dealership and they are swearing that option 2 does not work...I have no problem getting a set of new uncut oem keys and take to the locksmith to have them mechanically cut then take the spyder over to the dealership to get programmed...they said this will not work because they are claiming there is information in the ignition lock that is transmitted to the ecm to work and since the keys are not the ones which came with the lock originally it will not program. I am the lay man here and just repeating what i am being told...a lot going on here
    I can confirm you can do option 2 and get into BUDS to program new keys or disable DESS with a non-chipped or new key not matching the bike. Been there and done it. You just need the key to mechanically work in the lock cylinder and turn on.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I can confirm you can do option 2 and get into BUDS to program new keys or disable DESS with a non-chipped or new key not matching the bike. Been there and done it. You just need the key to mechanically work in the lock cylinder and turn on.
    oh i believed you in the beginning...after i wrote my response i drove to my local dealership again and went to service. They agreed with you so i bought 2 oem keys right there and going to the locksmith in the morning to have them cut...they said the keys have to be for the right year spyder hence why i bought them right there on the spot...so should be able to go on its first ride this weekend

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Where in NM are you? And good luck with your New to you Spyder.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Where in NM are you? And good luck with your New to you Spyder.
    i am in albuq.....i got the bike keyed and have an appointment with the dealership on the 21st to program the keys so ill know then if all was successful...how is alamo?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i am in albuq.....i got the bike keyed and have an appointment with the dealership on the 21st to program the keys so ill know then if all was successful...how is alamo?
    Only been here just under 3 years, nice little town, a politically conservative town and as a result, very low crime which we like. Fore some reason, Gas here consistently among the lowest in the USA. The other place that we were wanting to move to in NM was Silver City.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

so i have a finally offical result...today was my appt with the dealership...slight recap I have an 2019 f3 i didnt have a key for and i needed to key it. I purchased 2 new uncut keys from the dealership and took them to a local locksmith...they cut the keys so they would work mechanically...once done i went to my appt today at the dealership and within 30 min they programmed the keys to the F3...I did not have to replace the ingition, did not have to replace a single lock cylinder, or any computer boxes of any sort. all worked perfectly and I got to take my first ride today on this beast.

Spyder Garage

Great. Glad it all worked out for you. Now, tell us more about how it came to be auctioned, color, miles, condition, etc..
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

so i have a finally offical result...today was my appt with the dealership...slight recap I have an 2019 f3 i didnt have a key for and i needed to key it. I purchased 2 new uncut keys from the dealership and took them to a local locksmith...they cut the keys so they would work mechanically...once done i went to my appt today at the dealership and within 30 min they programmed the keys to the F3...I did not have to replace the ingition, did not have to replace a single lock cylinder, or any computer boxes of any sort. all worked perfectly and I got to take my first ride today on this beast.
    This is the first time in reading all the posts about keys that I recall someone getting a key properly programmed without the original or spare key.
    It's also the first time I have read that Spyders need OEM keys specifically for that year model before being programmed.
    Have all those previous posts been proved wrong? 1) you don't need an original or original spare, and 2) Keys are made for specific year models.
    Current: 2022 RTL SE6 Red Marsala and 2012 622 Trailer Lava Bronze,
    Previous: 2014 RTL SE6 Black Currant - 58,746 miles,
    2012 RTL SE5 Lava Bronze - 19,675 miles

Spyder Garage

the keys are based on the generation...so they used the vin to make sure they knew which key to hand me

Spyder Garage

i will give all the details when i post it in the intro area in the forum...details coming soon....

Spyder Garage

i will give all the details when i post it in the intro area in the forum...details coming soon....
    If by 'intro area' of the Forum, you mean the Welcome section - please don't post it in there! That's really just meant as a 'say hello' area where you can put up your first post & introduce yourself in Spyderbot's thread which basically points you at all the 'pre-reading' links that can help make life easier for you in using the Forum; and where very few of us ever go regularly. Besides which, it's not included in any of the 'New Posts', 'What's New', or 'Todays Posts' searches that most use to see what's happened/been posted since they last visited the Forum; so if you post it in the Welcome section probably less than a dozen of us will ever get to see it!

Instead, post it into one of the more public areas of the Forum - you could post that info in this thread so that anyone searching for any of this key replacement info will easily be able to find it at any time in the future; or possibly you could put up a new thread in Spyder & Ryker Discussions, in the Spyder F3 section; or in the F3 Shop Talk section of the Technical Support Forums; or even something in the DIY & HowTo or Step by Step Guides would work, depending upon how you present the info!

But wherever you put any detail that supports or expands upon what you've done/had done with your keys as outlined here, it should at least include a link to this thread so that readers will be able to follow your Re-keying project/saga from the start to the finish! After all, that's what these 'Thread' things are for - showing how the conversation developed and keeping all the related info in the one place.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-24-2022 at 12:18 PM. Reason: somethibg - something :-/
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Great to hear it all worked out for you.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Just to add a little detail to this thread. A friend just bought a new 2022 RTL. He did receive 2 keys, but wanted a 3rd. He bought a blank. had it cut, and brought the bike to me. I hooked up my laptop, started BUDS2, went to the keys tab, had him put the new key in the ignition, clicked on "add key", and before I could blink, the new key was listed in slot #3 out of 10. The entire process didn't take a full minute.
    2020 RT Limited Deep Marsala Chrome

2020 RT Limited , Marsala Red

Spyder Garage

Option 2 works. I have lost the only key to my f3. The locksmith made a key to the lock and I turned off DESS .

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LongIsland View Post
    This is the first time in reading all the posts about keys that I recall someone getting a key properly programmed without the original or spare key.
    It's also the first time I have read that Spyders need OEM keys specifically for that year model before being programmed.
    Have all those previous posts been proved wrong? 1) you don't need an original or original spare, and 2) Keys are made for specific year models.
    Keys and DESS changed in 2014. Up to 2013 you had to have at least one OEM key to add more keys. This is for the case of different key codes. Up to 2013 the keys could be cloned, i.e., a key could be copied (electronic copy) from an OEM key and the DESS would see it as an OEM key. If you had no keys for a 2013 and earlier, you had no choice but to replace the ignition and DESS.

Beginning in 2014 a new key could be added to the DESS as described by JC. What you CANNOT do, is clone a key. Nobody has figured out the algorithm for the keys, or at least it has never been disclosed here on the forum. Only OEM keys with different key codes can be added.

Keys are not tied to model year, other than up to 2013 and 2014 up. But I think there was a change, maybe in 2018, to the grooves the OEM keys are cut with, but I don't know for certain one way or the other.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

what was the cost of reprogramming?

Spyder Garage

Please note that the keys themselves are not programmable - they come with a fixed ID. The spyder is programmed to recognise the keys, not the other way around.
    Andrew
    Melbourne Australia
    2016 F3L Spyder

Now, wash your hands

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    Buy a new ignition switch and have it programmed to the bike with the new keys. Only the keys need to be programmed.
    it seems I have lost my only key for my 2018 F3s, I called the dealer and even they dont know how it all works, geez. So I have ordered a blank ($140NZD) and will have to see what the future holds I guess

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by microwavable View Post
    it seems I have lost my only key for my 2018 F3s, I called the dealer and even they dont know how it all works, geez. So I have ordered a blank ($140NZD) and will have to see what the future holds I guess
    Your best avenue is buy one or two non-chip blanks for a cheap price. I believe the number is X270. Have a competent locksmith cut a key to fit the ignition. That way you give the guy leeway to screw up the key cutting process without risking the high priced BRP key. Once he has it working nicely in the ignition then have him cut the BRP key from the non-chip key. Have the dealer program that key into the DESS. A non-chip key will operate the ignition but will not allow the bike to start.

P.S. Tell the dealer to RTFM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by microwavable View Post
    Crrikey. I just added some bright ribbon ( nicked it from her sewing room ) to my keys. Just in case.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Your best avenue is buy one or two non-chip blanks for a cheap price. I believe the number is X270. Have a competent locksmith cut a key to fit the ignition. That way you give the guy leeway to screw up the key cutting process without risking the high priced BRP key. Once he has it working nicely in the ignition then have him cut the BRP key from the non-chip key. Have the dealer program that key into the DESS. A non-chip key will operate the ignition but will not allow the bike to start.

P.S. Tell the dealer to RTFM.
    thank you very very much