Spyder Garage

Default BEST Warranty - should this VCM/HCM module job be covered?

2018 F3L Spyder, all maintenance done on schedule & bike only has about 12,500 miles on it as of right now

I purchased the BRP BEST warranty in 2020 after purchasing the bike from a private owner then. Bike had only 1850 miles on it.
    FYI: my bike's VIN does NOT qualify regarding any of the technical service bulletins regarding parking brake, multi-function switch, blue tooth pairing

Had problems recently with "stalling while driving". Dealer diagnostics found NO direct cause of this problem. Stalling happened both Before and After normal scheduled maintenance of oil change/brake fluid flush. Dealer called BRP and BRP told them to reprogram the VCM and to clean the HCM, which did indeed fix the bike... but no one knows WHY this stalling out problem was happening in the first place. BRP denied warranty coverage when asked twice by dealer about this particular situation. Dealer feels that it should be covered by warranty and asked that I deal with BRP directly, as the customer, which I submitted a ticket to them today, and will call them upon return from a bike rally this week.

I just would like to know of others who had this problem, was the fix covered under warranty? And opinions from those who have the BEST warranty on whether or not this described "situation" and the fix dictated by BRP should maybe have been warranty? Thank you kindly for input.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2022 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Stalling while driving" is an NHTSA safety issue. And with BRP having released a firmware update for the VCM implies this safety issue was known to BRP. I suggest a visit to the NHTSA driver incident site and adding an entry for your experience. This establishes an official paperwork baseline for any future remediation.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    "Stalling while driving" is an NHTSA safety issue. And with BRP having released a firmware update for the VCM implies this safety issue was known to BRP. I suggest a visit to the NHTSA driver incident site and adding an entry for your experience. This establishes an official paperwork baseline for any future remediation.
    .... If your Spyder is or was within the time limits of you BEST warranty .... then BRP *amn well better Honor it .... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

The modules are covered if they fail. Yours sounds like it got dirt or debris in it which is not a failure, but a service/maintenance issue. Since all they did was clean it out and reset it, the warranty coverage leaves a good bit open to interpretation. I can also tell you they are much more lax with warranty claims for original owners than for preowned.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I am not aware of BRP releasing any firmware updates for this issue. How would I know BRP did this, and when? Sure would like to reference this! I am calling them on Monday as they seem not to ever respond to my emails, and have not yet responded to my ticket that I created on their website.

Spyder Garage

I just filed complaint with NHTSA on 10/10/22 regarding this issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The modules are covered if they fail. Yours sounds like it got dirt or debris in it which is not a failure, but a service/maintenance issue. Since all they did was clean it out and reset it, the warranty coverage leaves a good bit open to interpretation. I can also tell you they are much more lax with warranty claims for original owners than for preowned.
    I have no maintenance issues. All oil changes, etc. that are due / scheduled have been done, on time. I believe that the service agent may not have communicated my issues correctly to BRP. I have gone back to dealer to investigate the "answer" given by BRP to them for my still "unidentified" diagnostic related problem.