Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone tried Ride On tire sealant on their Ryker?

Has anyone tried this on the Ryker?
    I used it for years on numerous motorcycles and it saved me several times.
    Not good results with a SUV, as it caused the front end to act like it was out of balance.
    Wasn't sure about a 3 wheeler.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2022 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)

Spyder Garage

Ryker, no. Spyder, yes. I was also advise by Harry (Ride-On engineer) to use the MOTORCYCLE formula in Spyder tires, not the AUTO formula. I did advise him I was using auto tires and he was still adamant to use the M/C formula at the regular dosage rate, not severe rate.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    Ryker, no. Spyder, yes. I was also advise by Harry (Ride-On engineer) to use the MOTORCYCLE formula in Spyder tires, not the AUTO formula. I did advise him I was using auto tires and he was still adamant to use the M/C formula at the regular dosage rate, not severe rate.
    Honda Gold Wing trike..YES. Ryker..no. I too read on their website to run motorcycle formula in the auto tires the trike had. Really liked the way the tires ran smooth as silk.. no balancing extras applied.. tracked straight down the road .. trike friends were gaga when I would turn loose of the handlebars and wave my arms in the air.. they said there was no way they could do that. Never had a flat so do’t know how that would have been.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'll probably go ahead and use it on my 2022 Ryker Sport.

Spyder Garage

I believe you'll be happy...

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

I got the same thing. I asked them why, for many years, they recommended the logical Auto version for the Auto tires used on the Spyder. They just said they decided the motorcycle version was better for the Spyder. I asked them what other auto tire application they recommend the motorcycle tire version for. He said he was not aware of any. I could never get him to give me a logical reason to use a motorcycle tire product in an automotive tire. I think it's a CYA because their change of heart came about the same time BRP started the campaign that caused tire retailers and installers to refuse to sell or install automotive tires on the Spyder. Just speculation. But when Ride-On explains the difference between the 2 versions and generically why one is better than the other, depending on application. What they are saying about the Spyder goes contrary to the rest of the story.

I've tried both in the front tires of a Spyder. I prefer the Auto version. What I found was that the motorcycle version settles out more quickly but also re-distributes more quickly. I found that the Auto version will compensate for more out-of-balance than the motorcycle version. It's less expensive as well.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No issues with the auto version causing any weird behavior?
    I've got a couple of containers of the auto version on the shelf.
    I never did understand how the two could be very different. I

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staneric View Post
    No issues with the auto version causing any weird behavior?
    I've got a couple of containers of the auto version on the shelf.
    I never did understand how the two could be very different. I
    I wouldn't say 'No Issues'. If you let it sit for more than a week you'll get some wobble for a few miles as the gel relocates. It doesn't bother me. And many times. I can go much more than a week with no issues. My understanding is that the big difference is in the targeted purpose. For motorcycles, there is a much smaller volume of air and a flat tire can be much more catastrophic than on 3 wheels. So the emphasis is on quick and positive seal. With a much smaller rotating mass, there isn't the need for a great deal of balance capability.

It's pretty much the opposite with an automotive tire. With the additional safety factor and a larger volume of air. Quick sealing is not as critical. More attention can be placed on balance capabilities.

My personal experience, at least for the balance portion, seems to bear this out.

Spyder Garage

Yes, used it in my Ducati Monster and can tell you it really works. Saved me and the Monster. First thing I put on the Ryker. It does wobble for the first couple of miles after sitting up for a while. Just think of it as telling you it's ready to go to work. I figure, better in my tires than a flat on the road, after all... I got no spare.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 04:17 AM. Reason: Removed all the extra ' 's %-/

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Any ideas for getting all of the product out of the container? I called Rideon and they suggested letting the container warm up in a pot of hot water. I've done this, but there's still some left.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-05-2022 at 04:18 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Spyder Garage

I use the hot water method and the arm "windmill" method. Put finger on cap and rotate arm around in fast windmill motion. It does work

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I wouldn't say 'No Issues'. If you let it sit for more than a week you'll get some wobble for a few miles as the gel relocates. It doesn't bother me. And many times. I can go much more than a week with no issues. My understanding is that the big difference is in the targeted purpose. For motorcycles, there is a much smaller volume of air and a flat tire can be much more catastrophic than on 3 wheels. So the emphasis is on quick and positive seal. With a much smaller rotating mass, there isn't the need for a great deal of balance capability.

It's pretty much the opposite with an automotive tire. With the additional safety factor and a larger volume of air. Quick sealing is not as critical. More attention can be placed on balance capabilities.

My personal experience, at least for the balance portion, seems to bear this out.
    How would this work when garaging for the winter? Will the gel eventually smooth back out after such a long period?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    How would this work when garaging for the winter? Will the gel eventually smooth back out after such a long period?
    Sure ....after a few miles, the tire warms up and the sealer spreads out.....

Spyder Garage

Use the product and like it...
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

I use the hot water method and the arm "windmill" method. Put finger on cap and rotate arm around in fast windmill motion. It does work
    Pure Genius!

Quote Originally Posted by Markubis View Post
    I let my Spyder sit for well over a year. Didn't take any longer to smooth out than letting it sit for 3 weeks. There isn't really all the much settling (with the Auto version). I do not have as much experience with the motorcycle version.

Spyder Garage

I used in my motorcycle's but never had a need for the sealant feature. It only covered around an inch or so in the middle. Looks to me like it would take a lot to cover across the whole tread on a car tire. I have a good quality plug kit and 12 volt compressor, plus no more weight than is on the tires, figure the chances of poking an object through them is not great, (might be if I had the cheap china tires it came with). I'm probably wrong.
    2013 Spyder ST-SE5
    US Army 1971-1973
    Army Guard 1990
    Air Guard 1991-2010

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The windmill thing sounds promising in combination with the hot water.

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As a courtesy to your tire shop, advise what is inside your tire, when it is replaced.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    As a courtesy to your tire shop, advise what is inside your tire, when it is replaced.
    We have been doing tires and balancing here for the last year or so. There really isn't any issues with Ride-On at all. It stays put and never gets anywhere near the tire equipment or the wheel. People imagine that it's like the 1958 science fiction horror film, The Blob (which was redone in 1988). Just lurking within your tire to goober up everything. It's not that way at all. The only time we would have a 'Problem' with Ride-On would be if a patch were needed. We have not needed to do one on a Ride-On tire. But I can't imagine it would be all that much trouble.

Spyder Garage

This is what ride-on looks like inside a tire. Nothing on sidewalls or bead area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2022 RT Sea To Sky

Spyder Garage

This is what ride-on looks like inside a tire. Nothing on sidewalls or bead area.
    Thanks Troop……you can’t beat a visual………unless it’s a visual of me in the shower, which NO ONE needs

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red