Spyder Garage

Lightbulb 2013 Spyder ST - Can I convert my SM5 to Semi or Fully Automatic

Help-

New owner...I'm learning a lot on this forum about my bike. My bike is a manual and I got it for a good price. I can drive it but it is not what I wanted. Is is possible to covert my bike from a 5 speed manual to a paddle shift or automatic with changing the transmission? Ideas other than a pringle.

Mysticryder
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2022 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Removed Prefix - this is a 'How do I?' not a 'How to:' DIY explanation.... & expanded title to ask the question. ;-)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mysticryder View Post
    Help-

New owner...I'm learning a lot on this forum about my bike. My bike is a manual and I got it for a good price. I can drive it but it is not what I wanted. Is is possible to covert my bike from a 5 speed manual to a paddle shift or automatic with changing the transmission? Ideas other than a pringle.

Mysticryder
    Guess what ???? .... the SE transmission is the same 5 speed manual ...... but the shifting is done using a solenoid, plus the left hand assembly has the Paddle shifter .... You can see all the parts for both transmissions, on a Parts Fiche" ..... it won't be cheap but it is doable ..... keep us informed and good luck ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Thanks Blue Knight...I am checking with my local Can Am Service center
    Mysticryder

Spyder Garage

While it is 'possible' as Mike suggested, it'd still be significantly cheaper just to source & buy another Spyder that's an SE5.... there's a LOT involved that'd need changing!

A few have looked at doing this sorta swap here in Oz, and I believe the only successful conversion involved buying a wrecked Spyder of the same model that had a good engine, trans, clutch, wiring loom, and all the computers & sensors etc & transplanting the lot into the non-wrecked frame & tupperware - and despite getting all the work done at no cost & getting all the computer systems up & working properly again at a very good "mate's rate's" price, it STILL cost more than it would've cost just to buy another bike with the preferred transmission...

But it IS do-able, cos the guts of the trans is the same, but the clutch & all the computer controls/programming isn't!

You might be better off looking for an after-market electronic Quick-Shift for the manual SM5 - it'd pretty much achieve the same end, without messing around with the clutch &/or the computer control/programming of the SM5.... Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2022 at 10:42 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I think you're going to find that simply purchasing another Spyder is going to be the way to go. Personally, I much prefer the manual. It's so much more versatile. But I know I am in the minority.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said above, you would be better off selling the SM5 and picking up a semi auto version. If you got a great deal on your current one, it should be easy to sell, and you might be able to make enough profit to go towards your new semi auto purchase. Now that there are no more manuals sold, there are some few people who would still prefer a manual. You just need to find them. Good luck.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks all :)

Well that is not exactly what I wanted to hear but I expected it I think I will stick with this bike, I really think she was well maintained and had super low mileage for a 2013 and she was in perfect condition. I might do a Quick shift system instead. Do you know of any others brands besides Pringle that I should look at?

Mysticryder