Spyder Garage

Default LED Headlights - my experience fitting them

Most who want them have already fitted LEDs but here's my experience:

1. Got Fahren H7s ($40)from Amazon based upon recommendations on this forum.
    2. Removed windshield, instrument cluster, mirrors and upper instrument console (use a small screw driver to release the plastic locks holding the top to the bottom).
    3. Had to slightly alter the locking rings to accommodate the new lights using a Dremel (see photos--left original/right modified). NOTE: The Tab on the retaining ring goes DOWN--start it about 4 o'clock and turn to 6 to lock.
    4. Even though the driver and extra cord could be squeezed into the headlight housing, I bought extended dust covers ($10) to (hopefully) provide more ventilation/cooling. (83 MM fit perfectly).

It was a straightforward job and perfect results so far.

H7.3.jpg H7.1.jpg
    H7.4.jpg H7.5.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2022 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Good work and excellent writeup.
    Thanks for the photos.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhilY View Post
    Most who want them have already fitted LEDs but here's my experience:

1. Got Fahren H7s ($40)from Amazon based upon recommendations on this forum.
    2. Removed windshield, instrument cluster, mirrors and upper instrument console (use a small screw driver to release the plastic locks holding the top to the bottom).
    3. Had to slightly alter the locking rings to accommodate the new lights using a Dremel (see photos--left original/right modified). NOTE: The Tab on the retaining ring goes DOWN--start it about 4 o'clock and turn to 6 to lock.
    4. Even though the driver and extra cord could be squeezed into the headlight housing, I bought extended dust covers ($10) to (hopefully) provide more ventilation/cooling. (83 MM fit perfectly).

It was a straightforward job and perfect results so far.

H7.3.jpg H7.1.jpg
    H7.4.jpg H7.5.jpg
    Good for you (and thanks for the pics) I love hearing from other DIY'ers ..... Since I discovered and recommended the Fahren's .... what do you think of the light output vs. stock ?????? ..... My Fahren's are on an RT which has a different reflector than yours so how do you like them ????? Thanks ....Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2022 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Good for you (and thanks for the pics) I love hearing from other DIY'ers ..... Since I discovered and recommended the Fahren's .... what do you think of the light output vs. stock ?????? ..... My Fahren's are on an RT which has a different reflector than yours so how do you like them ????? Thanks ....Mike
    Mike, Thanks for the reco. Don't often ride at night but the light output is EXCELLENT and beam pattern is identical to stock. Also like the white light color vs. the stock with yellowish tinge. I was worried about the LEDs throwing CANBUS codes but so far no issues.
    Last edited by PhilY; 10-12-2022 at 06:14 PM.