Spyder Garage

Default Does Slime Affect FOBO Bike 2 Sensors?

Howdy all,

I have a very slow leak in one of my tires and I would rather not have to take it to a dealer to fix, undoubtedly at significant monetary and time cost. Looking for experienced comments as to whether or not Slime sealant affects the FOBO Bike 2 sensors. I did search the forum but the only post that came up started and ended in 2017.

Thanks all
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2022 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask the question ;-)
    2022 RT Deep Marsala Metallic

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Slime

...Well, I think you might have a problem. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure, but I would Not
    Use Slime with FOBO devices installed. The Slime would probably damage the Sensors.

Contact the FOBO Customer Service for the Best Answer.

Good Luck with Your Mission. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I use Ride On sealant and my FOBO II's work just fine. That said, I wouldn't use either as a permanent repair. You don't mention what tire? A front is easy peasy. You also don't mention what type of tire? I'd have no concerns using a internal patch/plug on a car tire.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    I use Ride On sealant and my FOBO II's work just fine. That said, I wouldn't use either as a permanent repair. You don't mention what tire? A front is easy peasy. You also don't mention what type of tire? I'd have no concerns using a internal patch/plug on a car tire.
    A proper plug &/or internal patch should work fine on a proper car tire fitted to the rear, just so long as the puncture isn't a hole or tear in the sidewall or a puncture of any sort right on the joining strip between the edge of the tread & the sidewall! Punctures &/or tears in those areas are a whole lot more difficult to repair properly & safely than a simple hole punched thru the rubber (& not a steel belt! ) in the tread area! Besides, if you've got a puncture of any sort in any tire (& not just a leaky valve or FOBO Sensor ) then you really should get the inside of the tire inspected by someone who knows what they're doing in order to make sure it's safe to repair & to determine what is the appropriate repair method before any 'permanent' repair is carried out!

However, a front tire (or a pair of front tires! ) is a pretty easy replacement job, so unless you've just fitted a brand new set of very expensive tires, for the relatively small cost compared to the potential costs of a catastrophic failure in a steer tire at the worst possible time, it's a pretty cheap & easy fix to get a new set of fronts & give yourself the peace of mind in knowing they're most likely 'good tires' without any potential weaknesses caused by a damaged tread ply or torn thread/plies in the sidewalls, isn't it?!? Even given the phenomenal capabilities of the Nanny to keep things under control in a wide range of circumstances, I'd much rather fork out for new front tires than risk pushing a potentially questionable steer tire beyond it's limits & finding out the hard way that I'd gone too far, then having to fork out for a new Spyder.... or make my family or anyone else's family fork out for funeral, wouldn't you??
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-03-2022 at 06:46 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    X2....
    2016 F3-T , Blk/Rd

Spyder Garage

It is the front right tire with the original Kenda

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Three lug nuts are the only thing between you and finding your problem. Remove the wheel/tire and take it to any of the major tire dealers and they'll submerge it in a water tank and immediately show you why and where your leak is. That will determine the appropriate fix. Most all tire shops will perform that process at no charge. And yes, Slime will damage your FOBO.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 10-03-2022 at 09:44 AM.

Spyder Garage

Do not use Slime for any wheel that needs to be balanced. It will give you fits. Use Ride-On. Which is designed to also assist in balancing. I recommend the Auto version (contrary to what Ride-On recommends). Originally, Ride-On recommended the Auto version for the Spyder. Made sense because the Spyder uses auto tires. But somewhere along the way they changed their tune. Right about the time that tire dealers and installers started refusing to mount or sell auto tires for the Spyder. I think the cause is related (BRP). But that is pure speculation.

If you'd like to know my reasoning for recommending the Auto version over the Motorcycle version. Let me know. I've posted that elsewhere. But I'm tool lazy to dig up the link...
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, I'll remove the tire and take it to Fountain Tire, a respected national tire dealer here in Canada.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LimaNiner View Post
    Thanks all, I'll remove the tire and take it to Fountain Tire, a respected national tire dealer here in Canada.
    I find it rather amusing that you mention Fountain Tire. My dealer does not have a tire machine. They remove the rear wheel from my Spyder and they take it to our Fountain Tire who replace the tire on the wheel. My dealer then takes it back and remounts it on the Spyder. Fountain tire do NOT actually touch my Spyder.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi Everyone...
    OK I thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth... From the time I was 27 years old until I was 45 years old I owned 3 tire and wheel companies, one was a tire retreading facility... I can tell you in all honesty I would NEVER EVER put any liquid
    sealer in any highway tire....
    The sealer is just fine for off road rigs and your riding lawn mowers, but when you put it in your highway tires it renders them almost unable to balance because the liquid moves all around the inside of the tire and almost always not evenly, it clumps up and creates a heavy spot that keeps moving, then when you stop it all runs to the bottom, then you move again the whole mess starts over.
    Now let's say you get a nail in your tire and you want it repaired at your friendly neighborhood tire shop.... Well, he will not be very friendly when he gets that tire off to repair it from the inside, because the liquid after heating up and cooling down a zillion times is a sticky gooey mess.
    Just go to your tire shop and have it repaired correctly......
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 10-04-2022 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Removed superfluos C/r's ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    Hi Everyone...
    OK I thought I would toss in my 2 cents worth... From the time I was 27 years old until I was 45 years old I owned 3 tire and wheel companies, one was a tire retreading facility... I can tell you in all honesty I would NEVER EVER put any liquid
    sealer in any highway tire....
    The sealer is just fine for off road rigs and your riding lawn mowers, but when you put it in your highway tires it renders them almost unable to balance because the liquid moves all around the inside of the tire and almost always not evenly, it clumps up and creates a heavy spot that keeps moving, then when you stop it all runs to the bottom, then you move again the whole mess starts over.
    Now let's say you get a nail in your tire and you want it repaired at your friendly neighborhood tire shop.... Well, he will not be very friendly when he gets that tire off to repair it from the inside, because the liquid after heating up and cooling down a zillion times is a sticky gooey mess.
    Just go to your tire shop and have it repaired correctly......
    I've been using Ride-On for many years. First, you balance the tire. Then you install Ride-On.

Your tire is only balanced when it comes off the machine. As soon as you start riding it, the tire wears. This wear creates an ever greater imbalance. Ride-On compensates for this change and keeps the tire balanced. Which reduces wear and keeps everything smooth.

Ride-On does not 'Clump', or 'Run to the bottom' when you stop. True, if you let your vehicle sit for a week or more, Ride-On will tend to settle a bit and give you a wiggle for a few miles until it re-distributes itself. Not a big deal. Ideally, you will get more smooth riding miles out of your Ride-On tire and not need to dismount it until you're ready to throw it away. For the great majority of tires, this will be the case.

If you do get a nail, instead of going flat on the side of the road, it seals the leak and lets you get to a place where you can plug it yourself. With a plug, you don't need to dismount the tire. A quality plug installed correctly will last the life of the tire. I've done a few over the years.

Ride-On isn't a 'Gooey Mess' all over the tire. It stays put on the tread area of the tire. We've dismounted tires with Ride-On in them and it wasn't any problem at all.

Everyone has a different take on this. All of the information you give is exactly correct for a product like Slime. But that is a completely different product designed for a different application. It should not be confused with a product like Ride-On.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 10-04-2022 at 03:33 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...