Spyder Garage

Default Ran over Semi Retread

Ran over a semi truck retread on my way home from Florida trip last week. Almost dark, I-77 just north of Columbia, SC. Had that twilight on the horizon, didn't help my vision of seeing tire quicker. Saw it, I'm heading right for middle of Spyder. Able to swerve enough to hit with right front tire. It slapped my driver floorboard, and RIPPED it off. Stopped as quick as I could. Walking back, I could hear cars and trucks running over the parts and breaking them. Pulled the tire out of the road, went to retrieve some parts, already broken.

So driver floorboard gone, right fender cracked, right bottom of body plastic is loose. Guessing all parts will be around $1,500. Have had my Progressive MC insurance for 5 yrs now, no claims, so my vanishing deductible is at zero. So I will get 100% paid on this claim, then next renewal, that vanishing will go up, and premium will go up some too.

So that floorboard just broke off and fell down / away. Foot didn't even get tangled up in that mess. I was 2 hrs from home, so was able to ride with my foot heel on passenger floorboard. Occasionally able to stretch out leg and rest on front side plastic curve on the RT for a few minutes. In my 44 yrs of riding on the road, this is my first accident that I have to file a claim over. Thankful I wasn't hurt, and that I could ride Spyder home. Always watch out for those darn donut retreads

20220921_195908.jpg
    20220921_200444.jpg
    20220925_173618.jpg
    20220925_173553.jpg
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Its amazing the amount of crap on the roads these days.

You mentioned re=tread just hit a larger piece on my car. Its amazing how plastics just crumble and crack.

Not only the crap. Potholes are the next big headache.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you made it Ok, that is the important part.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

I went over to my son & daughter in law's yesterday, it is all highway to get there. I had to dodge so many pieces of tires - and luckily I was able to - that I got to feeling pretty anxious. Of course it doesn't help that the speed limit on the toll roads is 80 mph, and if you are not doing 80 or better, you are taking your life in your hands with the idiot drivers here whose pants must always be on fire. So not a lot of reaction time. Fortunately they were large pieces, as in your pic, that I was able to avoid them. But thank goodness that only your Spyder was injured, and not you.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    x2

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

X's 3......Mike

Spyder Garage

This is the most important part. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Hopefully with slightly cooler weather around the corner there will not be as many rubber alligators on the road. Glad you didn't center it and get all three wheels off the road at one time.

As a side note, many years ago our tire supervisor at the time made a habit of inspecting every carcass or tread section he found while traveling. About 50 / 50 new tire vs retread.
    Last edited by EdMat; 09-28-2022 at 10:36 PM. Reason: additional info
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

since cheapcycleparts went bankrupt, what is the goto place to get DISCOUNT prices? I just looked at canamoemparts.com, they had msrp prices. I need about $1,850 parts to fix this. my favorite place, partzilla.com does not carry Spyder parts

going to be interesting to transfer the brake mechanism (the part that will let the floorboard pivot down) to new footrest support plate. always wanted to understand how that worked, now I will see it up close and personable
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post

going to be interesting to transfer the brake mechanism (the part that will let the floorboard pivot down) to new footrest support plate. always wanted to understand how that worked, now I will see it up close and personable
    I reckon you'll be amazed at how simple it actually is!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok,those retreads are very dangerous. On cars they do a lot of underbody damage ,like oil pans and transmission pans.
    2021 RTL Marsala Dark Edition 4.13.2021
    Lamonster Riser
    Spyder Extras Docking station
    Zumo XT (my own Plug & Play cable)
    WrapMySpyder Carbon fiber partial kit.
    Baja Ron ultra performance sway bar and end links

2015 RTS SM6 Intense Red
    born on date 3/2015 (mine on 9/12/15)
    Sold on 4.13.2021 33k of fun.

Spyder Garage

Default rebuild items

For those who might want to see backside of the floorboard support - that brake linkage is quite a contraption!! How it will let the floorboard drop some if the brake pedal goes down too far is easier to understand when you can move it with it off the Spyder

SPY-broken hub.jpg

SPY-brake backside.jpg

SPY-with hub.jpg

SPY-new backside support.jpg

SPY-new support front.jpg

SPY-inside brake area.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-16-2023 at 07:03 PM. Reason: petal (on a flower) - pedal (as in a foot operated lever) ;-)

Spyder Garage

your so lucky that tire did not wrap up your brake pedal, that could have been deadly

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it home safe. What a mess parts-wise!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thankfully you made it home safe.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Woodaddict View Post
    Guessing all parts will be around $1,500. Have had my Progressive MC insurance for 5 yrs now, no claims, so my vanishing deductible is at zero. So I will get 100% paid on this claim, then next renewal, that vanishing will go up, and premium will go up some too.
    I've always said unless the damage is catastrophic I'll pay for it out of my own pocket, save the insurance for something closer to totaled. I figure one way or the other I'm gonna end up paying for it anyway. But at least only your Spyder got banged up a little rather than yourself. Good for that then.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank God you're ok, brother. If I had any spare parts, I'd give 'em to you.
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gkamer View Post
    I've always said unless the damage is catastrophic I'll pay for it out of my own pocket, save the insurance for something closer to totaled. I figure one way or the other I'm gonna end up paying for it anyway. But at least only your Spyder got banged up a little rather than yourself. Good for that then.
    The $1,500 was my quick estimate of what I needed. Ended up being $2,313. I got paid a little bit for doing the work myself, plus you get paid MSRP on parts, and found a discount website that genuine parts. Was my first time have zero deductible, cause I had vanishing deductible with Progressive. Never even had a claim for a Motorcycle.

But this is what you do............... be an independent insurance buyer, don't stay with the one name companies and keep insuring forever. The claim was in Oct 22, and my yearly bill for Mar 23 didn't go up yet. So I have another year at same price, although my deductible did go back up $100 /$250. So whenever it goes up too much, I'll switch carriers. Actually my sister is my agent, so she looks at it, sometimes MC, cars, house might be with same carrier to save most money. I'll give example of just house insurance.........you get a lower initial cost for a year policy, after the year and subsequent years keeps going up WITHOUT any claims. So after 4 - 5 yrs she switches me to another company. I rather get a lower price than just keep same company for a whole bunch of years